ISU players love T.J.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Yeah.....you have to know the real story.....THT was going to Illinois and when Illinois couldn't take him because Ayo Dosunmu would have decommitted he chose to go to ISU because of Daniyal Robinson......he wasn't happy with his role under Prohm and got out of Ames as soon as he could......
What exactly was his role? Jacking up flailing away NBA 3s out of the context of the offense?

In his defense we didn't run much of an offense either.

thisISnextyear

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Ames
What exactly was his role? Jacking up flailing away NBA 3s out of the context of the offense?

In his defense we didn't run much of an offense either.
Reading this post literally put me right back in my seat at the BOK Center in Tulsa. That performance versus Ohio State was some serious hero ball.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Kinda silly for us to judge/speculate on players/former players on their takes and picking apart based on our own confirmation bias...meaning, most of the guys know these coaches way more than us.....and came to isu (or stayed because of them).

When Paul Shirley was honest about LE.....some folks couldn't handle it...because that was a winning time for us.....also can be true at our lowest (this past years), guys come out in appreciation of Prohm.

If our next coach recruits state of Iowa, former player Jake Sullivan will love them, lol

Until I hear from Andrew Skogland or Calvin Godfrey, I'm not going to be swayed

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonehomer

erinmd32

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2015
Kinda silly for us to judge/speculate on players/former players on their takes and picking apart based on our own confirmation bias...meaning, most of the guys know these coaches way more than us.....and came to isu (or stayed because of them).

When Paul Shirley was honest about LE.....some folks couldn't handle it...because that was a winning time for us.....also can be true at our lowest (this past years), guys come out in appreciation of Prohm.

If our next coach recruits state of Iowa, former player Jake Sullivan will love them, lol

Shirley was honestly about his experience with Eustachy...but I think we should also acknowledge that other former players didn't have the same experience.

Let me know what Omar Bynum says about the hire.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Shirley was honestly about his experience with Eustachy...but I think we should also acknowledge that other former players didn't have the same experience.

Let me know what Omar Bynum says about the hire.
Lol :)
That's the thing, the coaching relationship is so much more than just wins/losses....and a player could love/not love a coach for a variety of reasons.

And I can also see how assistants may build better relationships based on the additional.contact they have, recruitment, less busy than a head coach, etc.

Reactions: AlaCyclone

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
It doesn't mean jack****????? Brad Underwood was 63-1 at SF Austin (in a garbage conference) in conference and now has Illinois at a power conference heading into the tournament as a #1 seed with many people picking them to the Final Four

You just made a very good case for Kyle Keller.

jimonalog

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2020
2-week interview process = guaranteed success. At least that's how it sounds. Anyone involved in many hiring knows that you can have the most thorough interview process and totally fail. Hiring is an art. It is so subjective. I have found my best hires are with the people I know and have I observed. I remember my TOTAL shock when Johnny was hired, along with the rest of the BB world. Personality, skill, recruiting, experience, proven. He totally turned the program around for history. For all those who claim TJ is only liked by former players, only recruited by former players, his UNLV record sucks, look at his track record. Not always a winning record. There are so many coaches who have failed, been fired, went to the right place and won. As a Packer fan, I am aware of Andy Reid. Failure at Philadelphia. What a loser! We could name many coaches like this. A process is not the answer IF you know someone is a good bet.

TJ wants to be in Ames +1. He recruits+ 1. People 10 years ago like him. +1. Have no idea why we'd assume that was in the past while he pulled Grill away from ISU. There is no guarantee he will be a long-term winner. Name a better option, other than Johnny. We won't know until time tells. For now, I'm all in. And out.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
So. If (big if) TJ comes on and has a rough time.

Doomsday would be here.

Since Larry:
Morgan
McDermott
Fred
The Nice Guy
TJ

That would take the program from 2003 - unknown. A generation with one successful coach who couldn't get out of here fast enough.

Armageddon

You know, that does look pretty bad.

CentexCyclone

Oct 20, 2015
"With all the grad transfers and the JC market, I feel he could strengthen the frontcourt also. "

The combination of Otz recruiting acumen and the timing is an under appreciated aspect of the Otz hire. Between Covid transfer rules and the restrictions on in-person recruiting this year, the transfer market is going to be insane this year and likely next. If Otz is as good at recruiting and working transfers as we think, he could haul in some top-tier talent from the transfer market.

Reactions: NWICY

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
2-week interview process = guaranteed success. At least that's how it sounds. Anyone involved in many hiring knows that you can have the most thorough interview process and totally fail. Hiring is an art. It is so subjective. I have found my best hires are with the people I know and have I observed. I remember my TOTAL shock when Johnny was hired, along with the rest of the BB world. Personality, skill, recruiting, experience, proven. He totally turned the program around for history. For all those who claim TJ is only liked by former players, only recruited by former players, his UNLV record sucks, look at his track record. Not always a winning record. There are so many coaches who have failed, been fired, went to the right place and won. As a Packer fan, I am aware of Andy Reid. Failure at Philadelphia. What a loser! We could name many coaches like this. A process is not the answer IF you know someone is a good bet.

TJ wants to be in Ames +1. He recruits+ 1. People 10 years ago like him. +1. Have no idea why we'd assume that was in the past while he pulled Grill away from ISU. There is no guarantee he will be a long-term winner. Name a better option, other than Johnny. We won't know until time tells. For now, I'm all in. And out.

TJ is JP's buddy. That's the only qualification that matters. Don't dress it up to be more than it is.

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019

Equating an NFL coach (who didn't fail in Philly, both sides needed a fresh start) changing jobs to someone struggling at a lower level jumping to the highest level in the sport (college basketball) is way off base. Who the hell knows if TJ will be successful here, but that's not the point. Iowa State can and should look for more than familiarity with its' hires.

CentexCyclone

Oct 20, 2015
You are right.......it's nothing personal but I'm an ISU grad who loves ISU sports and I don't enjoy watching a man get paid over $2 million a year to lead us to one NCAA tournament bid in the last four years......that's pathetic......and it proves that his early success was completely due to him being handed a top three Big 12 roster created by Fred Hoiberg....

I know T.J. and so I am a little bias but there is definitely no guarantee that he will have major success at ISU......I just feel a lot more confident with him than I ever did with Prohm......I know my opinion might be proven wrong but I'm fully supportive of this hire

The most pressing need for the program is to upgrade the talent on the roster. Recruiting seems to be in Otz's wheelhouse. Definitely interested in seeing the assistants, though.

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
I used to cover the Cyclones when T.J. was an assistant and I spoke to him hundreds of times and he's a really good guy but more importantly he loves ISU and will make this a destination job. I don't think people are factoring this aspect in when criticizing the hire.

What others might not also understand is just how much the players loved him. When I would talk to Melvin Ejim, Naz Long, Georges Niang, Diante Garrett, Matt Thomas, they all swore by him (this is why Hoiberg had to have T.J. on his staff).......he relates incredibly well to young players and really believes in his guys which I think is very important......there's nothing phony about T.J. Otzelberger....

While everyone mentions that T.J. will lock down Wisconsin, they also forget that he will likely hit up Canadian recruits pretty hard......he has lots of connections in Canada and right now Canada is exploding with talent.

Some people are also talking about a rebuild but that's not the way T.J. thinks. I feel he will recruit as hard as possible from day one and try to add the pieces to make the 2021 team highly competitive. Guards are extremely important and if we have a starting backcourt of Tyrese Hunter and Rasir Bolton that would be a great start. With all the grad transfers and the JC market, I feel he could strengthen the frontcourt also.

Either way, I personally feel he's the right guy for the job.

All I can think about with this hire and no interviews. Member Berries Galore. Somebody please make meme or Gif of JP eating Member Berries and thinking of TJ

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
All I can think about with this hire and no interviews. Member Berries Galore. Somebody please make meme or Gif of JP eating Member Berries and thinking of TJ

"member all those wins when TJ was an assistant? I member"

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
"member all those wins when TJ was an assistant? I member"

No I don't Member. The Regular Season Record when TJ was an Asst was 139-118. A .540 regular season win % doesn't mean a lot. But a yeah you go back to your Member Berries now

That is an Avg of 17 wins in the reg season. Prohm has avg 20 as a head coach FOR HIS CAREER and he got fired. So yeah. The Bro-Motions are in full effect here for The ISU Bro-Clones

Reactions: cyclonehomer

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

I have insider info that Sea-God loves TJ hire.

ohly2311

Jan 7, 2014
No I don't Member. The Regular Season Record when TJ was an Asst was 139-118. A .540 regular season win % doesn't mean a lot. But a yeah you go back to your Member Berries now

That is an Avg of 17 wins in the reg season. Prohm has avg 20 as a head coach FOR HIS CAREER and he got fired. So yeah. The Bro-Motions are in full effect here for The ISU Bro-Clones
How many wins has Prohm averaged the last four years when he didn't have the elite talent that he took over from the Hoiberg regime???.....yeah that would be 12 wins a year on average for four years in the Big 12......that's pathetic.....and he averaged a whopping 4.5 wins a year in the Big 12.....real impressive.......I see your point....

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Larry Eustachy was a very successful coach until the incident. Doesn’t seem like his players were very fond of him.
Yeah, his players weren't big fans of him and one of his teams fell apart at the end of the season leading to one of the biggest upsets in NCAA tournament history.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron