"ISU is the only loser in the new Big 12"

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
I would hate 4-8 every year, but being in the big 12 is something. The problem with some people is the whole "grass is greener on the other side" viewpoint. Imagine the alternative to what we just landed. The best case scenario was ISU joins the MWC, but was looking more and more unlikely. Worst case scenario was probably Confernce USA. ISU's athletic budget would have collapsed in either scenario. Sports would have been dropped. Layoffs would have occurred. The Iowa economy would have taken a hit. Miller and Deace can paint doom and gloom on our current scenario all they want, but the fact remains that the doom and gloom of the alternative would have been much much DARKER!!!

Dude, read the part I put in bold and then read your previous 4 sentences. You're justifying your position by doing exactly what you accuse Miller and Deace of doing.

I agree--the grass ain't always greener. But that doesn't mean it's always dead on the other side, either. Truth is, we don't know what we could have gotten because we didn't go there.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Deace is right when he says that in a few years we will be back in the same situation. 4 or 5 years from now the B10 will be way ahead of the B12 in revenue agan and we will have the same situation. For now this works, I do worry about the longer term implications of having to kiss the Texas ring. Not sure what the other options are that were better though.

Except Deace was going to claim that we were a loser in this no matter what. But then again, for Deace to really give a rip about ISU athletics, he'd have to give up a little bit of his time following a "real" college anyway.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
This is comparing us to only 9 other schools. You forget the much greater inequities that existed between ISU and teams outside our conference. The big 12 is now closer in revenue to the big ten and the sec. Heck, even at the second worst budget in the big 12, ISU will still be ahead of teams in most other conferences, and will be closer in budget to teams in the big ten and sec. No matter how people spin it, ISU will be adding 7-10 million to the budget.[/QUOTE]

But so what. Are you a fan of the budget? I'm a fan of the team and want to see them positioned to win. This deal with the devil gave ISU more money but at the same time made it harder to win.

It would have been harder to win without the money and the affiliation with the Big 12. We would have been pretty much off the radar for any decent recruiting targets in Iowa or the Midwest or Texas or anywhere.

We are now instantly more competitive with teams everywhere. Texas has boatloads of money. They did before.

It seems that the Hawk fans are upset that ISU is getting a great deal of money. They would have preferred that ISU go to the Mountain West and gotten about half as much money as we get now rather than ISU doubling their conference revenue.

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
It has to be tough for Iowa fans that their party celebrating the death of ISU has been interrupted. We need to be sensitive while they try to cope with the resurrection of their big brother. Maybe Doctor Phil can do a show to help them through their grieving. We all know they're not equipped to handle this type of tragedy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Spursfan11

iowast8fan

Aug 3, 2006
Ankeny
But so what. Are you a fan of the budget? I'm a fan of the team and want to see them positioned to win. This deal with the devil gave ISU more money but at the same time made it harder to win.

Are you kidding me? You think you can win with a 2 million dollar budget? Do you know how much we pay our football and basketball coachees (not just the head coaches). They are gone with a cut in our budget. You want to win, it starts with getting the right people and keeping them. That doesn't happen without money. Talk about short sighted. "We don't need money, we just need to win." Naive.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
Hawk fans are funny. The past two weeks they say ISU is worthless and were laughing ISU because they may have to go play in the MWC. Now they stay in the Big 12 and ISU is more worthless and has zero chance to ever win. It is a no win with you people!

Last edited by a moderator:

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
Are you kidding me? You think you can win with a 2 million dollar budget? Do you know how much we pay our football and basketball coachees (not just the head coaches). They are gone with a cut in our budget. You want to win, it starts with getting the right people and keeping them. That doesn't happen without money. Talk about short sighted. "We don't need money, we just need to win." Naive.

Sure. You're right. Look at Boise St and TCU and BYU. Those schools aren't in a BCS conference and they suck, have terrible coaches, and never beat anybody. What the hell was I thinking? LONG LIVE THE B12!!!

You can call my viewpoint naive all you want. I call it realistic.

iowast8fan

Aug 3, 2006
Ankeny
Dude, read the part I put in bold and then read your previous 4 sentences. You're justifying your position by doing exactly what you accuse Miller and Deace of doing.

I agree--the grass ain't always greener. But that doesn't mean it's always dead on the other side, either. Truth is, we don't know what we could have gotten because we didn't go there.

I think it is pretty obvious what we would have gotten based on media reaction to ISU's situation, and lack of ANY interest in ISU from any conference when we were painted into a corner.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

Why don't we just drop to the Iowa conference and play Grinnell and Central then? I want to compete against the best and I think they can compete.

Don't look now guys but Phil Steele says we have the toughest schedule in the NATION this year for football and that is in the old Big 12. For one I don't think Rhoads is sitting in his corner sucking his thumb. He's looking for a way to win some dang football games. I just don't see how any fan thinks this is a bad thing.

iowast8fan

Aug 3, 2006
Ankeny
I can't find a link to make a poll. Can someone do that for me so I can see a count of fans that think there was something better waiting for us. I want to see a count of people who actually believe ISU football, basketball, and wrestling would have survived a fall from the big 12 and an empty athletic budget. Without the big 12, the likely scenario is at least a 20 year death sentence to ISU athletics. Do people actually not realize how long it would have taken to dig out of the financial hole we would have been in without this.

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
How? please tell me how... We very rarly beat Colorado and Nebraska... them leaving doesnt make it worse.

Easy. Because while victory agaisnt those two was rare--it did actually happen, especially with CU.

The South? When is the last time we beat TX or OK? And we've been playing them NOT every year. Now we play them EVERY year.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
Did you know there are more ISU grads living in Iowa than Iowa grads? Did you know that ISU and Iowa have won the same number of national football Championships? These are facts that the central Iowa media ignore. Chris Williams nailed it today with his statement that this is a great day for ISU. If you can not appreciate the situation, I fear you suffer from "Cyclone Syndrome" (expecting the negative). My biggest fear out of this whole deal is that the Hawks beat Nebraska. The media hysteria emanating from WHO/KNXO/DM Reg would be insufferable!

im4isu

Apr 11, 2007
New Haven
ISU fans: which is better....being non-contenders in football in a league run by one school, or being a contender in a more "equal" conference?[/QUOTE]

Easy answer. What any capitalistic freedom loving american would say. It is better to be given a chance to succeed competing against the best. You do not make small people big, by cutting off the legs of the giants. We are being given the opportunity to elevate our position in life. I hope we are able to take advantage of that opportunity. Success and accomplishment are earned, not given. Under your line of thinking Indiana, Purdue, Minny, NW, and Illinois should be looking to leave the Big 10. Think they are considering conf. usa so they can be more competitive? Heck no, they are thinking about what it takes to improve their lot where they are at. In our conference, the rich got richer and the poor got richer. The poor can get even richer if they take advantage of the opportunity given them. I'll take my chances in our new league. I too am in favor of dropping the Iowa series. It is a lose/lose for us.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Spelling and we have to play the south EVERY year instead of every other.

Our schedule rotated with the South. One year Texas, OU, and Tech. The next A&M, OSU and Baylor.

Now we play everyone every year. Texas and OU every year is tough. But we also get Baylor every year as well. And I won't just concede wins to A&M, OSU, and Tech. Plus we still play Kansas, KSU, and Mizzou.

Let's say that we lose to the Big Two. Seven Conference games left. Hopefully we should do 4-5 or 5-4 in the conference most years or possibly better if we get the Big Upset.

Finish at least 2-1 in non-conference or 3-0 and we are bowling in a pretty decent bowl.

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
Why don't we just drop to the Iowa conference and play Grinnell and Central then? I want to compete against the best and I think they can compete.

Don't look now guys but Phil Steele says we have the toughest schedule in the NATION this year for football and that is in the old Big 12. For one I don't think Rhoads is sitting in his corner sucking his thumb. He's looking for a way to win some dang football games. I just don't see how any fan thinks this is a bad thing.

You guys kill me. You guys crush Iowa fan for drinking kool aid and then when clone fan doesn't you go all ape ****. Your Grinnell and Central comment is lame and sounds like a hawk fan comment. I never advocated going that far down. I want to see ISU win. Our chances just got worse.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Here's another thing that NOBODY is talking about, that makes the new paradigm MUCH better than the old one:

In that old world of unequal revenue sharing, ISU never even got a shot to earn it's keep. I think it's safe to say that we're going to be on TV every week now, with a much more national airing. In the past we've often had more games NOT on TV than on TV.

Why does this matter? Because it gives us a keep to earn, so to speak. In the old set up, we never got on TV, so we never had a chance to make any revenue. We have that now. Not only that, but the exposure for the University increases. We're more visibile, and that helps recruiting. People are saying this is exactly the same deal we've had in the past, but it isn't. ISU now at least has a chance to go out and earn their revenue, something we haven't had in the past.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I'm fine with what Deace says about this. It's his opinion and that's what he's paid to give. He's not being an obnoxious jerk like another announcer on KXNO just giving his opinion.

He may be right that ISU is the biggest loser in this scenario but I can't think of a better scenario for ISU at this point.

Here is how I see it.

2 days ago ISU was like a 2 year old walking down the center lane on I235 during rush hour during an ice storm and everyone was driving a mack truck.

2 days later we are now driving a Chevette with worn out tires, bad brakes, and a crappy interior. It's not the ideal situation but we are a lot better off than 2 days ago. Hopefully with this money we can upgrade to a Ford Focus so that we can at least compete with the Buick's(Missouri) of the world let alone the Mercedes (Texas).

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Wait until Paul Rhoads turns ISU into a contender. Then we will see who the loser is.

I'm on board. Let's just build a program and win big games instead of thinking about how we should "avoid" conference teams. Should we schedule the nonconference lighter? Maybe, but avoid your own conference?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron