"ISU is the only loser in the new Big 12"

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
With a new round-robin schedule, we should at least get the back-to-back OU/UT road games off our schedule, and we should get them occasionally at home in mid-November. That won't suck. We should still expect to win against KU, KSU, MU, and Baylor every year. Schedule three cupcakes for the non-con with some of that new TV money, get 6-7 wins and go bowling. During a good year we can get a couple upsets (OSU, TTech) and be between 8 - 10 wins, and go to a nice bowl destination.

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA
You are going to have a long wait.

You will be playing Texas, Oklahoma, A&M and Texas Tech EVERY year. You are back to the Big 8 days. At least when you were in the Big 12 North, you had a fighting chance at the title game in football. Now you have ZERO chance at winning a conference championship.

Another poster mentioned all the money you will get (which is "potential" since there is nothing in writing at this point) and how you will start recruiting Texas etc. etc. etc.

1. Other schools will supposedly get more money too....plus the SAME inequities in revenue will continue to exist. Now Texas can form their own network and rake in even more $$.

2. ISU ain't gonna start making deeper inroads into Texas for recruiting.

Basically, it appears Cyclone fans are just happy to be in the Big 12....it doesn't matter they won't ever be competitive in football...as long as you get your 30 pieces of silver.

Oh well....at least you still have your bowl game with Iowa.
I wish my life was so pathetic I had to get my kicks going to the board of schools "we don't care about" and talk ****. Enjoy life *** bag.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
While I don't think that ISU is the "only loser" in the new Big 12...I think he is right on about the new conference. More money isn't going to matter to fans if we are going 3-9 or 4-8 each year. Add in the fact that we play Iowa each year (something we should strongly consider getting rid of) and we are basically playing 10 conference games per year.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Newsflash Deace. This deal made everyone winners in the Big 12. A Loser in the Big 12 is 100 times better than a "Winner" in the Big East or Mountain West.

Yeah, I would hate being TCU, Utah, Pitt, or West Virginia. Those BCS bowl games would suck!

iowast8fan

Aug 3, 2006
Ankeny
OK, I'll admit I tuned into Miller and Deace for the first time in a very long time because I wanted to hear some feel good talk about ISU...I don't know why I thought I would hear that on their program. Had they talked some positivity, I might have been drawn back in as a listener. Instead, I was more put off than ever before. I don't understand how anyone can be regular listeners on that show?...wait, I don't understand how any ISU FAN can be regular listeners on that show.

Steve Deace came to KXNO with his sports talk radio show and promoted ISU athletics. He figured nobody else in the state is taking advantage of the ISU fanbase. He was then drawn in by the sales pitch of the devil. Now he disguises himself as an ISU fan, but his actual agenda is to destroy ISU. How dare Cyclone fans feel good about something. How dare Cyclone fans feel a part of something. How dare Cyclone fans think they have a chance in big time college athletics.

Keep pushing us down, Deace. I'm back to not listening. It's just too bad I fell off the wagon for 20 minutes. 1 day sober from Deace and Miller begins again tomorrow.

Last edited:

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA
While I don't think that ISU is the "only loser" in the new Big 12...I think he is right on about the new conference. More money isn't going to matter to fans if we are going 3-9 or 4-8 each year. Add in the fact that we play Iowa each year (something we should strongly consider getting rid of) and we are basically playing 10 conference games per year.
The money is nice, but it doesn't give us any advantage over the other Big 12 football programs in recruiting, etc. So, that really doesn't get us anywhere. I'm more excited that we are staying in the Big 12 for the other sports besides football and hope that we spend some of that increased revenue on basketball, wrestling, maybe bring back baseball someday.

Reactions: cycloneworld

bigB

May 30, 2008
He's right for the most part. Our increase in funding is relative and we get an exponetially more difficult schedule. Previously, we were able to hide from Texas and OU every two years.....not the case now. no matter what people say and how tuff CPR is. these two games have been proven L's. I think we are like 5 - 67 against OU and 0 - 7 against UT.

michaelrr1

Mar 30, 2006
WDM
Visit site

Correct. Football wise, things got tougher. The only benefit is to the olympic sports that not many people care about. But hey, we're 31 in the Director's Cup. :eek:

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
The money is nice, but it doesn't give us any advantage over the other Big 12 football programs in recruiting, etc. So, that really doesn't get us anywhere. I'm more excited that we are staying in the Big 12 for the other sports besides football and hope that we spend some of that increased revenue on basketball, wrestling, maybe bring back baseball someday.

Baseball won't be coming back. It is a revenue loser. And I believe if you add baseball then you must add another women's sport.

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston

Yeah, I would hate being TCU, Utah, Pitt, or West Virginia. Those BCS bowl games would suck!

I agree with this.

That caller this morning...Andy--says he would take 4-8 every year so long as we're in the Big 12. BS. 2 or 3 years of that crap and recruiting will only get harder while the schedule can't get any easier.

It's like there are more fans of the B12 on here than of ISU. We need to rename this site big12fanatic.com

This deal is a kick to the stones for ISU. Bad leadership.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA

Good point. The extra cash will be great for the other sports programs assuming it doesn't all get dumped into football.

We are only talking about football so far...how about basketball?? We dropped the 2 worst teams in the Big 12 and now we play 18 conference games too.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out but I would contend this makes football wins much more difficult and the basketball rebuilding job even tougher.

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA
Baseball won't be coming back. It is a revenue loser. And I believe if you add baseball then you must add another women's sport.
Basically everything is a revenue loser after football.
Add something like Women's Lacrosse, i don't care. It's a shame to not have a baseball program being the size of school we are.

iowast8fan

Aug 3, 2006
Ankeny
1. Other schools will supposedly get more money too....plus the SAME inequities in revenue will continue to exist. Now Texas can form their own network and rake in even more $$.

This is comparing us to only 9 other schools. You forget the much greater inequities that existed between ISU and teams outside our conference. The big 12 is now closer in revenue to the big ten and the sec. Heck, even at the second worst budget in the big 12, ISU will still be ahead of teams in most other conferences, and will be closer in budget to teams in the big ten and sec. No matter how people spin it, ISU will be adding 7-10 million to the budget.

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
This is comparing us to only 9 other schools. You forget the much greater inequities that existed between ISU and teams outside our conference. The big 12 is now closer in revenue to the big ten and the sec. Heck, even at the second worst budget in the big 12, ISU will still be ahead of teams in most other conferences, and will be closer in budget to teams in the big ten and sec. No matter how people spin it, ISU will be adding 7-10 million to the budget.

But so what. Are you a fan of the budget? I'm a fan of the team and want to see them positioned to win. This deal with the devil gave ISU more money but at the same time made it harder to win.

Last edited:

CyBelieve

Aug 5, 2006
Ankeny
I turned on this morning (which I seldom do) just to hear the reaction of these guys. What I got was the typical KXNO/DSM Media/Hawkeye telling us Cyclone fans how we should feel about this. The condescending "you may feel good right now but you have no idea of how bad this is for you" As if we are all too stupid to figure this out for ourselves. I love how Non-ISU fans like to tell us how we'd be better off in Conf USA or the WAC just so we could be winners.
But the part that got me really ****** off was when Steve referred to ISU and their fans as "US". Wrong Steve, you are not one of 'US'. You are a Michigan/Big 10 Guy. Don't insult us by claiming to be a Cyclone. Is this perfect, No! Is our Football schedule a *****? Yes! But I loved watching Cyclone football in the '80's when I was there (and we stunk). I can't imagine trying to sell tickets to see Wyoming or SMU as your marquise games.
GO CYCLONES!

Reactions: iowast8fan

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
God, people. I don't think it will be that much harder to get to freaking 6 wins. A bit harder, but not much.

Funny Iowa wanted to drop the series last week, but now they are penciling that in as a sure loss every year.

iowast8fan

Aug 3, 2006
Ankeny
I agree with this.

That caller this morning...Andy--says he would take 4-8 every year so long as we're in the Big 12. BS. 2 or 3 years of that crap and recruiting will only get harder while the schedule can't get any easier.

It's like there are more fans of the B12 on here than of ISU. We need to rename this site big12fanatic.com

This deal is a kick to the stones for ISU. Bad leadership.

I would hate 4-8 every year, but being in the big 12 is something. The problem with some people is the whole "grass is greener on the other side" viewpoint. Imagine the alternative to what we just landed. The best case scenario was ISU joins the MWC, but was looking more and more unlikely. Worst case scenario was probably Confernce USA. ISU's athletic budget would have collapsed in either scenario. Sports would have been dropped. Layoffs would have occurred. The Iowa economy would have taken a hit. Miller and Deace can paint doom and gloom on our current scenario all they want, but the fact remains that the doom and gloom of the alternative would have been much much DARKER!!!

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Deace is right when he says that in a few years we will be back in the same situation. 4 or 5 years from now the B10 will be way ahead of the B12 in revenue agan and we will have the same situation. For now this works, I do worry about the longer term implications of having to kiss the Texas ring. Not sure what the other options are that were better though.

83Hawk

Sep 13, 2008

You forget this will only be temporary (if these vaporware income predictions are actually true).....when the other conferences' TV contracts are up, they will renegotiate for MORE money, which will still put ISU behind.

As for the poster who thinks Texas will be travelling to Ames in November: ain't gonna happen.

ISU fans: which is better....being non-contenders in football in a league run by one school, or being a contender in a more "equal" conference?