ISU football depth chart prediction??

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
For all the hand-wringing on this board, I have plenty of confidence in the consistency of Heacock's defense and coach Rasheed to deliver on the D-line. I was worried when we lost Ray Lima, but there has been no drop-off in our ability to stop the run. That side of the ball has been reloading every season. I'm especially excited about the potential of the secondary- they need to snag a few more interceptions, however. M & S Linebacker are the biggest question marks, but they should get plenty of help from the experienced personnel around them.

Offense and special teams? Oofta. The time is now for the offensive line. We can't use youth or lack of size as an excuse this fall. If Cartevious can stay healthy and the line gives him some daylight, that'll make things a lot easier on Rocco.

IowaState88

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2022
Interesting you have Ellis over McLaughlin? I would love to see Gaines or Kai Black hop one of the incumbents at WR
From what I’ve heard, staff really likes Ellis. I think the SLB spot is still completely up for grabs and will be decided in camp.

tomar1

Aug 16, 2008
Wh
I know I'm going to probably be WAY off on some of these (especially OL), but just wanted to see what everyone's thoughts were?

QB: Becht, Kohl, Hughes
RB: Norton, Sanders, Harris, Sama
TE: Dean, Moore, Burkle/Keller/Brahmer
WRX: Higgins, Gaines, Black
WRZ: Stanley, Jackson, Ngoyi
WR?: Noel, Bitter, Adams
LT: Miller, Neal, Maro
LG: Hufford, Akinshilo
C: Peterson, Bonifas, Sauser
RG: Simmons, Pauls
RT: Treiber, Hasert, Maro

DE: Okoli, Ezeogu, Same
NT: Orange, Singleton, Hawk?
DT: Onyedim, Singleton, Krezek
DE: Petersen, Adam, Mendeszoon
LB: Vaughn, Ellis, Marshall
LB: Lovett, Imming, Sadowsky
LB: McLaughlin, Marshall, Willich
CB: Purchase, Porter
SS: Verdon, McGee
FS: Freyler, Howard
CB: Tampa, Crosby?
STAR: Cooper, Patton?

No idea on ST's?

*I will say... after filling this out, I'm more worried about this season than I was before. Seem very thin in a LOT of areas. WR, OL, DL (especially the interior without Lee), DE's are really unproven outside of Petersen, lots of young and new bodies at LB, great starters at DB, but very little depth. And ST's is a total crapshoot... which will cost us a few games this year (as always).

I know I'm a Debbie Downer by nature, but this depth chart is kinda scary IMO. Some potential is there, but really unknown.
at did you forget Brock? I thought he’d be number one RB

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Any updated predictions? Here is my best guess

QB: Rocco, Kohl, Hughes
RB: Norton, Sanders, Harris, Freshman play up to 4
TE: Dean, Brahmer, Moore, Keller (I think we see A LOT of 12 and 13 personnel in 2023 as I think our WR room is not as good as the TE room)
F: Klotz, Burkle
WRX: Higgins, Gaines, Essex
WRZ: Stanley, Bitter
WRF: Noel, Ngoyi
LT: Miller, Neal
C: Peterson, Bonifas
RG: Simmons, Hasert
RT: Treiber, Maro

Wide DE: Peterson, Ezeogu
NG: Orange, Singleton
DT: Onyedim, Okoli
WLB: Vaughn, Willich
MLB: Lovett, Sadowsky
SLB: McLaughlin, Ellis
BS: Verdon, McGee
MS: Freyler, Howard
FS: Cooper, Patton
CB: Tampa, Crosby

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.

TE: Dean, Brahmer, Moore, Keller (I think we see A LOT of 12 and 13 personnel in 2023 as I think our WR room is not as good as the TE room)

I’m hearing that Daniel Jackson is having a really great summer/fall camp. And I expect Sadowsky to start at Mike.

Not picking a winner between Becht and Kohl.

Third DL position is not “DT”.

One thing I’m curious about is who the third Nose will be. I know that Onyedim can slide there, but I think it would be great if Zaimir Hawk is ready for at least a handful of regular reps.

Reactions: alexssdean12

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016

I think Treiber has moved to RG and Neal is a decent bet at RT. Sadowsky is almost a lock at MLB. Vaughn and WIllich at the other two LB spots.

I'm really hoping Norton and one of the frosh RBs separate themselves. I think there's potential to raise the level of play there relative to Brock. I like Norton and Sama's ceilings.

Your WR lineup isn't exactly inspiring. Either Stanley needs to make a big jump, or we need a couple young guys to step up. Not sure what to think of the Higgins hype.

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
Of note - Jace Gilbert is not listed anywhere on special teams.

Great troll move to not list a kicker :cool:. We should just go for 4th down/2 or conversions ever time we’re in the red zone/score all year. Revolutionize the game!

Edit: NM - kicker was under the second column, duh!

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
To expand on this...

QB:
Rocco Becht OR JJ Kohl OR Tanner Hughes OR Wyatt Bohm OR Shane Falco OR Willie Beamen OR Mike Winchell OR Gee Grenouille OR Mox OR Jerry "The Rev" Harris OR Paul Crew OR Ronnie Bass OR Junior Floyd

RB:
Eli Sanders OR Cartevious Norton OR AJ Harris OR Carson Hansen OR Abu Sama OR Levi Hummel OR Blaze Doxzon OR Petey Jones OR Boobie Miles OR Tim Riggins OR Julian "J-Man" Washington OR Spike Hammersmith
wasn't far off on running back, tbh.

• Haha
Reactions: Jer and wenkeej

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Two freshmen starting linebackers. Willich must be impressive as I liked what I saw out of McLaughlin when he played last year.
WIllich is a RS freshman and played last season, just to clarify. I'm excited about the talent there. I've not been a fan of the 250-260 linebackers we've been using, and that includes a beefed up Rose.

• Informative
Reactions: Cyclonepride

mitchforcy

Dec 1, 2009
I'd like to view this as a positive, but history tells me this isn't good..... I hope I'm wrong
It's not good when you're a developmental program like Iowa State and they aren't high 4 and 5 stars. They could be good but relying on true freshmen generally isn't a great sign.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Interesting moves by Clanton. James Neal promoted to left tackle/Darrell Simmons demoted.

I have to remind myself and others every season opener that often times the chart is used to motivate upper classmen and reward underclassmen based on their camp performances. We may see this lineup for the opening series, then you'll see the veterans back on the field.

Reactions: robahrens

Help Support Us

Become a patron