Is the secret scrimmage this weekend?

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
I'm sure you know what you're talking about from watching highlight videos of him. You don't get ranked a top 60 recruit if your coach has to change his offense just so you can get a shot off.

Mark Miller@WisBBYearbook17 Oct
Onalaska's Matt Thomas, a freshman at Iowa State, had 19 points on 10 shots in intra-squad scrimmage Wednesday. Going to be really good.

That's great news. I have no doubts Thomas can shoot lights out, and you're right, highlight videos can't tell you too much about a player.

I guess my main point in the original post was that I didn't think Matt Thomas would be in Hoiberg's league (in Hoiberg's playing days) in terms of his impact to the team. I don't think he will start immediately and I had heard from people watching practice that he struggles to get open. He's not as athletic as Hoiberg. My point was more focused on the posts I read last spring comparing Thomas to the next Hoiberg. That is just unfair.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
That's great news. I have no doubts Thomas can shoot lights out, and you're right, highlight videos can't tell you too much about a player.

I guess my main point in the original post was that I didn't think Matt Thomas would be in Hoiberg's league (in Hoiberg's playing days) in terms of his impact to the team. I don't think he will start immediately and I had heard from people watching practice that he struggles to get open. He's not as athletic as Hoiberg. My point was more focused on the posts I read last spring comparing Thomas to the next Hoiberg. That is just unfair.

Sounds like he started the scrimmage.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

I think people compare them because their game is pretty similar. Matt Thomas will start and I think will average around 10 pts/game which isn't too far off of Hoiberg's freshman year

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011

He doesn't have to get his own shot, he just has to space the floor and hit an open 3 if his defender rotates off of him. I think he can do that. We don't need him to be Allen Iverson.

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
He doesn't have to get his own shot, he just has to space the floor and hit an open 3 if his defender rotates off of him. I think he can do that. We don't need him to be Allen Iverson.

I hope you're right; and I hope the people in this thread are right that claim Thomas is going to start from the very first game - those things would mean he's really on track. I had just heard differently based off practice.

I agree with you regarding Thomas' role. If we have a good drive and kick game going again this year, he will be an excellent asset from deep. I just don't see him slashing to the hoop and throwing it down like Hoiberg was able to do when he arrived at ISU.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
I just don't see him slashing to the hoop and throwing it down like Hoiberg was able to do when he arrived at ISU.
Most likely not. What I heard about MT before he arrived is that he was a better shooter than Fred was in college but Fred had more bounce.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
I think people compare them because their game is pretty similar. Matt Thomas will start and I think will average around 10 pts/game which isn't too far off of Hoiberg's freshman year

I think people compare them because Thomas and Hoiberg were/are both 6'3/6'4 white guys that can shoot. And because Hoiberg is the current coach and people are lazy in making comparisons.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Hoiberg averaged 12 pts a game as a freshmen, however he did not really shoot the 3 that year. It wasn't until his JR year that he became a 3 pt shooter.

cysox2

Nov 30, 2011
Newhall
Although there are similarities between thomas and hoiberg it really isnt fair to compare an incoming freshman to the most loved basketball player in isu history. The videos that ive seen of him, he seems to have a good mid range game too. I think that part of his game will be just as valuable as his long range shooting.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron