Is Breece Hall the best player in the B12?

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Breece is number 2 in NCAA rushing yards right now. He'll drop in rankings next week.

He'll drop for total yards of course with the bye week. Currently 3rd in YPG -- it's possible he's surpassed there, too, but likely to stay fairly close to his position (compared to total yards, at least).

He's 2nd in rushing TDs, that'll drop w/ bye week, too.

FarmClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 3, 2009
Did anyone else see the play in the second half where purdy dropped to pass, tech brought two delayed blitzers right up the middle and Breece knocked them both down and out of the play at the same time? That was an nfl play.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
He looks more like David Montgomery every week.

Gets hit in the backfield... still gets five.

Actually gets decent blocking... bye-bye.
I’m a huge David Montgomery fan....however Hall’s ceiling is much higher than David’s just off natural athletic ability.

That shift into another gear sets BH apart from DM.

Man is it fun though to be comparing someone to DM. That 'get off me' ness is the stuff of inspiration.

*It was unfortunate that DM didn't have more room to run as much of the college football world would have loved him.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Sam Ehlinger is UTs entire offense so he should be in the conversation...
I was impressed with Ehlinger last year in the game @ Iowa State (only time I have seen him in person). Kid has moxy. Then, last night, I saw that he leads all current FBS QBs in career TDs (80-something). That, in and of itself, is impressive. Just saying that I agree that Ehlinger should definitely be in the conversation.

As for running backs, Breece is having the best year in the Big Xii, but Chuba and Pooka are both really, really good too; however, Breece has had a better opportunity to shine this season. Hope he keeps it up, leads the Big Xii and maybe FBS in rushing this season and helps lead Iowa State to the Big Xii Championship!

• Agree

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
That shift into another gear sets BH apart from DM.

Man is it fun though to be comparing someone to DM. That 'get off me' ness is the stuff of inspiration.

*It was unfortunate that DM didn't have more room to run as much of the college football world would have loved him.
They were both great for what they are needed for. Monty’s line was atrocious at run blocking so we needed his ability to bounce around, bounce off and run over defenders. I don’t think Breece would be as good in those situations. And we had receivers that were our deep threats.

Breece has that extra gear where, frankly, he’s probably one of our best deep threats as a runner. And our pass blocking has been atrocious, and he’s a phenomenal blocking running back, so his ability to do so is greatly needed right now. Monty could crush some guys, but I remember a lot of times where he would read the wrong side on a block or just totally whiff because he was trying to blow the guy up.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
DM was a very willing blitz pickup guy, but Breece is GREAT at it. DM had really good hands, Breece has great hands.

The one thing DM had that Breece doesn’t is the ability to flat make a guy miss in a phone booth.

Breece is so smooth and is deceiving with the longer strides.

• Agree

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Hall plays fearlessly. I've never understood the infatuation with Pooka. And Chuba is playing it safe this year protecting his NFL career. He's not even the best oSu running back presently.

• Informative

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
DM was a very willing blitz pickup guy, but Breece is GREAT at it. DM had really good hands, Breece has great hands.

The one thing DM had that Breece doesn’t is the ability to flat make a guy miss in a phone booth.

Breece is so smooth and is deceiving with the longer strides.
Breece has such fluid center of balance. If you’re not wrapping him up, he’s going to twist and turn around you and not fall down.