Iowa State vs Iowa Predictions

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Slow start to the first half as usual, go on a run in the 2nd, CyFan celebrates prematurely, Lard gets a technical, Cook gets multiple &1s, Bohannon can't miss late, hawks win in overtime.

Hope I'm wrong.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
The atmosphere will be the most intense about 85% of our team has ever seen or been a part of so it depends on how they handle it and whether they come out hot or come out too jacked. Iowa has straight up been man handled the last 3-4 games and I don’t see them rolling over and dying by 20 points. I see a close game either way that we will pull out by proving we can close out a game and make free throws and clutch shots down the stretch.

I tend to agree with this, although there is no logical reason for it. Iowa is just not a very good team. At this point it is pretty hard to look at ISU and call them anything but improving. Lots of issues on defense, with post play and consistancy.

Still looking for someone on Iowa to make 10 out of 13 3 pointers, including banking in at least 2 of them.

• Agree
Reactions: BeneventiCy28

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I think we are the better team, but as many of you have mentioned I have this fear that this is Iowa's line-in-the-sand game. They are about as desperate for a win as a team can be in early December. We've had a pretty easy go of things the last few weeks. Hope the boys come out ready.

Clones32

Mar 5, 2013
ISU 82-72. I think it will be a game where Iowa hovers around being down 3-8 points for the majority of the game, but just can't get over the hump until we pull away in the last 2 or 3 mins.

WIB

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2010
Ames
I actually think we're starting to become a good basketball team. Iowa is starting to become a terrible basketball team. Iowa State by 14. 81-67.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
I think we are the better team, but as many of you have mentioned I have this fear that this is Iowa's line-in-the-sand game. They are about as desperate for a win as a team can be in early December. We've had a pretty easy go of things the last few weeks. Hope the boys come out ready.
Miller is writing it's must win. Not so much because it is ISU......but because their rating is so low, and there is no one else worth a d*** on their OOC. At 62....which isn't great....we are all that's left outside of basically rolling the entire Big Ten in making a case for the tourney.

• Agree
Reactions: rholtgraves

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Part of me says ISU coasts, the other part of me says Iowa puts it all together and wins...

From what I've seen from Iowa, even them putting it all together still puts them at an athletic disadvantage vs. a lot of teams, including ISU. If they're going crazy from 3 though it will be tough, and tough to stomach the local sports 'writers' and Iowa 'fans'.

If ISU gets beat, this is a bad loss (along with UWM) if they're on the bubble in March--they'll be the Ohio State of basketball-
'Overall, you had a nice season, but you can't lose to Iowa'.

Realistically this is nothing more than a chance to see ISU vs. some length and see how they do vs. a team playing above their normal level after they've looked decent as of late. Hope for an ISU win and more improvement.

• Funny
Reactions: Stereotype

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
From what I've seen from Iowa, even them putting it all together still puts them at an athletic disadvantage vs. a lot of teams, including ISU. If they're going crazy from 3 though it will be tough, and tough to stomach the local sports 'writers' and Iowa 'fans'.

If ISU gets beat, this is a bad loss (along with UWM) if they're on the bubble in March--they'll be the Ohio State of basketball-
'Overall, you had a nice season, but you can't lose to Iowa'.

Realistically this is nothing more than a chance to see ISU vs. some length and see how they do vs. a team playing above their normal level after they've looked decent as of late. Hope for an ISU win and more improvement.

Yes, that is the angel on one shoulder tells me. The devil on the other shoulder says Iowa is the best team since Boise, Iowa will find a way to frustrate ISU, and a young ISU team will not respond well. (a la Milwaukee)

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
ISU: 83-81
Gawd, I hope I'm right, because losing to this Iowa team for the second consecutive year qualifies for Meltdown Mode.
Both teams are mediocre on D (we gave up 80 No IL), so I expect high scoring. We gotta stop Cook and guard JBo and we can win because nobody else on their team can create Offense.
NWB / DJ and Wigs need to continue their offensive averages - can't afford cold shooting.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Yes, that is the angel on one shoulder tells me. The devil on the other shoulder says Iowa is the best team since Boise, Iowa will find a way to frustrate ISU, and a young ISU team will not respond well. (a la Milwaukee)

You got some good points. Kinda concerning we haven't played a P5 team since the MizzU debackle - we might be frustrated, for a half. I'm confident Coach will make adjustments and we pull out in the 2nd Half. Iowa commits turnovers.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

That could happen...difference being that ISU has opened up the gates to stress the defense since UWM.

MuseumFaux

May 9, 2014
Ames
I feel like the true difference between the stuttered start of our season and the most recent success has been the defining and emerging roles of our leadership. Both Jackson and Weiler-Babb have been great at being both skilled at their role, and providing leadership. I imagine that the rookies are going to be extremely jacked at the energy levels in Hilton tonight, and wouldn't be surprised if that leads to some really bone-headed mistakes at times. That being said; if Nick and Donovan can keep their composure and reign in the youngsters just a bit to settle them down when things get rowdy, I really like our chances. The biggest thing that worries me is Cam getting into early foul trouble, getting frustrated, and calling it an early night with a fifth foul. At the very least, this chapter of the Cy-Hawk hoops saga should be pretty entertaining. Go Cyclones!! ISU 86 - Iowa 82

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014
Not feeling good about this game, but I really am looking forward to seeing Iowa guard our backcourt.

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
Iowa will have at least 1 stretch of 5-8 minutes where they don’t score. If we can make a run in that stretch we’ll win comfortably. 77-61 ISU.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I would love to see Iowa go with their zone! Their guys on the perimeter are slow and they have given up a ton of 3's with their zone. D-Jack has a pretty quick release, so he should be able to get some pretty good looks. If their zone starts hedging on the perimeter, Lard and Young will be able to get some high quality looks. When they go man, I like our guards ability to create off the dribble, we will have several mismatches out there as far as quickness goes.

On defense I expect to see us double team Cook when he gets the ball away from the basket and take the charity stripe away from him. He's going to get his points but just don't let it happen at the FT line. Glue someone on J-Bo and make him uncomfortable, he doesn't handle it well and that will certainly lead to TO's. Iowa crashes the offensive glass really hard, so if we can secure clean rebounds we will have numerous opportunities to get out and run.

Iowa comes out early with a ton of intensity but they eventually hit one of their cold streaks and we capitalize and end up winning by double digits. 82-68 Clones.

Reactions: Go2Guy

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
To me it comes down to a few key areas: Iowa is gonna have to make around 10 threes, keep ISU from making more than 5-6 threes, and not turn the ball over at the clip they have been lately. They need all those things to pull off a win on the road at a P5 school and I just don't see them doing that.