Iowa State has sold only 11,000 tickets

jay moe

Apr 10, 2006
southern iowa
I'm really tired of all the negativity about this game. ANyone remember the Eddie Robinson Classic? If you made the trip down for that game you would be excited about this one too! It was one of the most fun atmospheres I've ever been in for a college game. For those of you asking about the KC fans, we didn't get them through ISU. Anyone with Chief's season tickets gor first priority on seating, and most others got them through Ticketmaster. A huge amount of KC ISU fans don't have season tickets in Ames so they just got them through other means. As a KC Cyclone who drives up to Ames for 90% of the home games, it rather annoys me how mutch everyone is complaining about making the trip down here once (well, hopefully twice in two years). THis isn't a bad idea, there will be 45-50k ppl at the game, and we will essentially get two home games out of the deal when we go back again next year instead of going to the Manhattan to play.[/QUOTE

Just a little different situation this time around in Arrowhead. We had a Heisman quality QB and we were playing one of the marquee names in college football in FSU. The atmosphere before and during that game was the most fun I have ever had at a regular season game. The game this weekend won't even come close to matching that.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I am only taking my 9 year old boy. Leaving the wife and 5 year old girl. If it was in Ames they both would be going. I would honestly rather spend my money in Ames.
Peopel are looking at the football game money we get. How much money do local businesses lose because of this game. I know a lot of small company's make some good cash on ISU football days. Now they are going to miss out on that and KC get's to make money from us.
I hate this game.

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA
I think this game is a great idea. The chances of us getting to travel to bowl games is bleak for a few years, might as well get to travel somewhere.

ISU4ME

Aug 26, 2007
I am only taking my 9 year old boy. Leaving the wife and 5 year old girl. If it was in Ames they both would be going. I would honestly rather spend my money in Ames.
Peopel are looking at the football game money we get. How much money do local businesses lose because of this game. I know a lot of small company's make some good cash on ISU football days. Now they are going to miss out on that and KC get's to make money from us.
I hate this game.

I know there are a lot of these small companies that support the ISU athletics department very well. Unfortunately, there are just as many that do not financially support the athletic department. Point being it is a two way street.

Reactions: Knownothing

outcydethebox

Aug 27, 2009
We got our tickets direct from the box office, so that we would not have to pay fees.

I have read the complaint from people about having to make the drive. I've read about hotel rates being jacked up. I've read about it making a long day if you drive to KC and back. I just wanted to weigh in and say that we have gone to all of the games in Ames this year. We have tickets to the remainder of games as well. We have stayed in a hotel on 2 of those occasions, but last weekend for the Army game we got the kids up really early, they slept in the car most of the way, and we drove to Ames. We parked. We walked around. We went to the volleyball game. We went to see the Cyclones beat Army, and then we drove home. We will be doing the same sort of thing for Colorado because we can not afford to stay in a hotel every time we come for a game. Yet that still doesn't take away from our wanting to go. I am so excited for one game in which we only have to drive 15 minutes.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
This shocks me because we traveled very well to KC last time plus I know all kinds of people going including a few that don't usually make these kinds of trips. If this team has bowl aspirations we as fans need to show up well this weekend because when looking at 6 win teams, how well a team's fans travel could be a factor if this team would need to win 6 or 7 games to go to a bowl. Six makes us eligible but not a lock and a good showing this weekend could go a long ways later to showing that the fans are behind this team and will travel to a less desirable bowl game.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
As fate would have it, the timing of this game in KC would seem to be impeccably bad...Parker was just lost for the season, Robinson is hurting, Reynolds breaks his leg, the McDowell/Bell issue, the Taufoou incident. And on top of all of that, the team has to pack up and head to KC. Plus, the pressure of playing a very winnable game with a bowl bid on the line. Lots of distractions to block out...

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
How about Omaha for the Nebraska game for two years? Or Chadron State for the Buffs? My point is that Pollard has done a great job in increasing the football attendance in his watch so I doubt that the argument that ISU is making gobs of money on this deal is splitting hairs. This program needs to build a winning program and the odds suggest that with a developing program HOME GAMES enhance the victory total. I hope we do not finish with five wins this year and lose by seven points or less to K-State Saturday. Then how much money did they make on this game?

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
As fate would have it, the timing of this game in KC would seem to be impeccably bad...Parker was just lost for the season, Robinson is hurting, Reynolds breaks his leg, the McDowell/Bell issue, the Taufoou incident. And on top of all of that, the team has to pack up and head to KC. Plus, the pressure of playing a very winnable game with a bowl bid on the line. Lots of distractions to block out...

It's a great point.

Although, a neutral site game away from home could be great for getting away from these distractions.

I'm definitely interested to see how Rhoads manages this and the team's response. Traditionally, we fold like a house of cards in a wind storm with these kinds of adverse situations.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Actually if we had a home game this year, it would have been a momentum builder for a bowl. Now. I would expoect this will be more of an away game than a neutral site. Bill Snyder is back and his family fans will show up.

It appears that ISU will have at least an equal amount of fans as KSU...possibly even more. So this definitely won't be an away game.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
yes the 11000 are only from ISU's allotment, and no season ticket holders were not required to purchase tickets.

Season ticket holders were not required to buy a ticket, but everyone needs to buy a ticket to attend this game -- season ticket holders or not. So take us for instance. We're season ticket holders (4 tickets) and we needed to buy 4 tickets to attend this game, in addition to our season tickets.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Wonder where all this negativity and know-better attitude was last fall when the game was announced?

People were pretty crazy for it then...

God knows, if word got out that JP turned down a 2 year payday in KC, people would be ranting and raving about that too.

With this deal, ISU gets two pay days, not one. We get to forgo a trip to Manhattan in a year when we could really use a win. Our team gets to play two games in an NFL stadium and a pretty much guaranteed game on TV - not bad for the recruiting trips.

I'd rather the game be in Ames too. But this is a no brainer.

Also - I'm not going to go through this whole thread to find out if the point has been brought up (I'm sure it has). But that article states ISU sold 11K, not that ISU fans bought 11K. A gulf of a difference. Many I know went directly throught KC or Ticketmaster to not play the "what if" games with the ISU ticket office, and got their seats in hand. I pretty much never get my away tickets through ISU because you usually get crap visitor section seats, or in games like this - you have no idea what you'll get. Attendance will be fine.

Last edited:

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames

Or, turn that around, and say the injuries and legal issues are bad timing with this "home on the road" game.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I hate this game.

If you really do hate it, don't go. You have 6 other games to go to at JTS.

It may suck that this is a home game for us this year, but next year we get to do the same thing for a "road game".

This subject has convinced me that some people will complain about anything. Combine that with people complaining about going to certain bowl games and it gets annoying.

MB4CY

Aug 29, 2009
Norwalk, IA
For those worried about how our team support looks, is this game really a good litmus test of how well the ISU fanbase will travel for a bowl game? If we take care of business and eventually score a bowl bid, then fans are going to be a lot quicker to reach for their wallets simply due to the fact that we haven't been bowling for several years. There might even be fans that are basing their purchase decision for this week on that possibility, now that we are 3-1 and face a relatively weak schedule. This game is already an expense above and beyond the price of season tickets. In this economy, many people simply have to make choices.