Iowa State has sold only 11,000 tickets

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
The article states that 11k tickets were sold through ISU, this was as of last week based on what I heard on the radio the other day. At the same time KSU had sold 9k tickets through their school. Again, those are tickets just sold through the schools.

I had heard the other day there was a total of 35k tickets sold and they were expecting about 40k for the game.

Man, I hope you are right! I would absolutely LOVE to head over from STL to this game. However, my wife's cousin decided she wanted to pledge her life committment in marriage this weekend, so I'll be stuck with the mobile phone internet updates.......

ISUonthemove

Jan 31, 2007
Altoona
Ah crap, I'm going to ask it. Do season ticket holders have to buy a ticket for this game? If not, I could see 10,000 season ticket holders, 11,000 tickets purchased now and another 5,000 that purchase them from today till game time. 25,000 wouldn't be bad if that happens. Anything under 15,000 is kind of embarrassing.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Do any of you remeber going to KC in 2002? It was an awesome atmosphere and a great weekend getaway for thousands of Cyclone fans.

I have been waiting ever since to see a game in KC again. Just show up, have fun, and then you will understand JP's reasoning. That is all.

It's ALOT different playing a neutral site game against a traditional power that your school rarely plays and playing a non rival conference team... Had this game been a non conference game against Arkansas, Ole Miss, etc then I would be pumped... As it is, it's hard for me to get excited about, sorry.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
My guess is that you would pay less for 2 or 4 people to go to KC than you would to go to JTS for a game. $60 tickets for JTS while you can get $25 tickets for the KC game.

Cost really isn't an excuse for not going to this game.

Perhaps not for you, but I know it is a factor for many who live closer to
Ames than KC. Travel costs will be more for those folks, along with more time for that travel.

Ticket cost alone is usually not a deciding factor on whether people choose to go to a game, home or away, or away-and-still-home.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Ah crap, I'm going to ask it. Do season ticket holders have to buy a ticket for this game? If not, I could see 10,000 season ticket holders, 11,000 tickets purchased now and another 5,000 that purchase them from today till game time. 25,000 wouldn't be bad if that happens. Anything under 15,000 is kind of embarrassing.

Yes.

ISUonthemove

Jan 31, 2007
Altoona
Wait, are they only counting tickets bought from Iowa State's allotment, because I guarantee you a lot of people bought from ticketmaster like we did.

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
Wait, are they only counting tickets bought from Iowa State's allotment, because I guarantee you a lot of people bought from ticketmaster like we did.

yes the 11000 are only from ISU's allotment, and no season ticket holders were not required to purchase tickets.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Ticket cost alone is usually not a deciding factor on whether people choose to go to a game, home or away, or away-and-still-home.

I definitely agree about the travel time, but season ticket holders shouldn't use "cost" as a reason not to go as they would have paid a similar amount or more money to watch the game in Ames.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
This game wasn't included in the season ticket price. Season ticket holders have to buy a ticket.

At first I was a bit miffed this was not included in the season ticket package. However, there are clearly a number of people that are season ticket holders and are not making the trip to KC. Some may have gone if it had been included, but others simply don't travel for games. So, we'd have a decent number of "sold" tickets that went unused.

Regardless, this is a nice cash maker for both programs. Great exposure and a nice experience for the players - especially those that have potential to play at the next level.

IMO, the real only downside is this comes at a time when both programs are poor. Mizzu and KU really caught lightning in a bottle with the timing of their Arrowhead series. Could not have come at a more perfect time for their programs.

I hope the Big 12 continues to look at doing this. Another fun one would be a pair of the Texas teams facing off at Houston or the new Cowboys stadium. And I'd be totally ok with traveling to Denver to face Colorado at Invesco field (and then perhaps having our home game at Arrowhead).

I don't think ya do these things frequently...but I do think it would be neat if one Big 12 game (other than Texas-OU) was played at a neutral location each year or every other 2 year period. Each team would do it about once a decade.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
This might just be the smartest thing that Jamie Pollard has ever done!!!

Sure beats the cheeze dip hire and his ten game losing streak!!!!:yes:

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Actually if we had a home game this year, it would have been a momentum builder for a bowl. Now. I would expoect this will be more of an away game than a neutral site. Bill Snyder is back and his family fans will show up.

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008
HEY NEGATIVE NANCIES - READ the Article.

Particuarly this part -

The school wasn't the only ones selling tickets. I bet half of ISU's sales were student section tickets. I'm sure a lot of alum went through the KC chiefs / ticket master to buy.

Quit with the ********. We were garunteed a certain amount of money to do this - and the Athletics Department decided it benefited us financially. Not to mention I'm sure the team will enjoy it.

+1

Hilarious to see the fools try and bash the game and our fans when they can't even read. There will be well over 20,000 ISU fans and 40,000 total.

flander1649

Apr 20, 2006
Kansas City
Visit site
I'm really tired of all the negativity about this game. ANyone remember the Eddie Robinson Classic? If you made the trip down for that game you would be excited about this one too! It was one of the most fun atmospheres I've ever been in for a college game. For those of you asking about the KC fans, we didn't get them through ISU. Anyone with Chief's season tickets gor first priority on seating, and most others got them through Ticketmaster. A huge amount of KC ISU fans don't have season tickets in Ames so they just got them through other means. As a KC Cyclone who drives up to Ames for 90% of the home games, it rather annoys me how mutch everyone is complaining about making the trip down here once (well, hopefully twice in two years). THis isn't a bad idea, there will be 45-50k ppl at the game, and we will essentially get two home games out of the deal when we go back again next year instead of going to the Manhattan to play.

I second this we got our group of 34 tickets through the Chiefs and my roommate also got a group of 15 where he went to the chiefs ticket office so he didn't have to pay the service charge. Most people down in KC are getting tickets through the Chiefs or Ticketmaster. The 11k are only through ISU. I have also been driving up to Ames for all the home games for the last 6 years there is nothing to the drive. It takes just about as long to get to Okoboji from ames as it does ames to KC. Another good thing is most of the MU and KU fans that end up going to this game will be cheering for ISU.

SeattleClone

Aug 15, 2006
Another thread about the KC game, another round of the exact same arguments over and over and over again...

ISU4ME

Aug 26, 2007
shows the sad state of our athletic department. arrowhead is paying us to have a home game in their stadium. why give up a home game - that is just beyond me - the only reason is a little cash infusion.

Write a $1,000,000 check to the ISU AD and I am sure he would not have taken the deal down in K.C. :biggrin:

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
That 11,000 from the athletic department doesn't surprise me. I'm sure that a lot of people have purchased the tickets through ticketmaster directly. We've found over the years that you usually get better seats that way. We'll find out on Saturday truely how many cyclone fans are there.