Iowa State has sold only 11,000 tickets

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I find it funny that those who are ******** about the small attendance numbers are those who are contributing to those small attendance numbers. Oh the irony!

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
How about Omaha for the Nebraska game for two years? Or Chadron State for the Buffs? My point is that Pollard has done a great job in increasing the football attendance in his watch so I doubt that the argument that ISU is making gobs of money on this deal is splitting hairs. This program needs to build a winning program and the odds suggest that with a developing program HOME GAMES enhance the victory total. I hope we do not finish with five wins this year and lose by seven points or less to K-State Saturday. Then how much money did they make on this game?

KC is OUR town. If we lose, it will NOT be because we're not in Ames. For crying out loud, it's only three hours from Ames, and the Chiefs colors are our colors. (close at least) I consider this a better than neutral site. I see many of our fans who live down there who only occasionally making it to Ames showing up.

FWIW I got my tickets thru ticketmaster only recently.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
KC is OUR town. If we lose, it will NOT be because we're not in Ames. For crying out loud, it's only three hours from Ames, and the Chiefs colors are our colors. (close at least) I consider this a better than neutral site. I see many of our fans who live down there who only occasionally making it to Ames showing up.

FWIW I got my tickets thru ticketmaster only recently.

And the AD wants to reinforce this. ISU fans should be coming out in droves for this game.

As usual, some ISU fans would ***** if you hung 'em with a new rope...

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
This game is going to be great for ISU. It is only freaking 3 hours away. Most people I graduated with at ISU drive up from KC for EVERY game.....heck, the 5 hour people from Minnesota drive to Ames for every game. 3 hours for most of us here in central Iowa to get down there...that's it. Get down there, enjoy the college atmosphere...support the Cyclones in the Biggest game of the year...(we NEED this one).....meet some K-Staters....and have fun at a different site.....enjoy a different town for a weekend.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
For those worried about how our team support looks, is this game really a good litmus test of how well the ISU fanbase will travel for a bowl game? If we take care of business and eventually score a bowl bid, then fans are going to be a lot quicker to reach for their wallets simply due to the fact that we haven't been bowling for several years. There might even be fans that are basing their purchase decision for this week on that possibility, now that we are 3-1 and face a relatively weak schedule. This game is already an expense above and beyond the price of season tickets. In this economy, many people simply have to make choices.

It's sad that our fanbase has become so fair weather like this...

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
This game is going to be great for ISU. It is only freaking 3 hours away. Most people I graduated with at ISU drive up from KC for EVERY game.....heck, the 5 hour people from Minnesota drive to Ames for every game. 3 hours for most of us here in central Iowa to get down there...that's it. Get down there, enjoy the college atmosphere...support the Cyclones in the Biggest game of the year...(we NEED this one).....meet some K-Staters....and have fun at a different site.....enjoy a different town for a weekend.

Sounds like a great idea but you'll have trouble convincing the segment of the fanbase that has to stay home and nurse thier vaginitas...

MoreCowbell

Apr 23, 2009
I would absolutely love to go to this game but it just didn't work out this year. I tried, believe me. So I've already decided we are going next year, no matter what.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Here's a thought...you can either get your tickets through Ticketmaster and a pay the charge to them as well as shipping and handling, or just go down to Kansas City and buy your ticket at the gate. I am not too worried, who knows where they got that number. I think the Big 12 basketball tourny has shown us that Cyclone fans love KC, and I think many Cyclones are looking forward to making a miniature vacation out of it (myself included!)

vortec22

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2009
Grinnell, IA
I was at the Eddie Robinson classic in 2002, and really wanted to go to this one. I had other commitments this year, but I guarantee I will be there next year, and taking people with me. If you have not been to KC for something like this or the Big XII tourney, you need to get down there.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I'll be there, but it's easy for me since I live in KC. I have to say I'm surprised at the lack of talk/excitement regarding this game in the area. It's safe to say that if you aren't a K-State or ISU fan, you have no clue that this game is being played here this weekend.

I'm most disappointed with the K-Staters. They have a decent alumni base here and it's less than 2 hours to Manhattan from KC.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Wow, so much negativity for no good reason. Let's break it down.

Financial - We are getting $1.8M over two years with perhaps more coming from a cut of the gate. If we drop this deal for the usual home and away, we probably make $1M. Sure, some of the local businesses will miss out (some that may help out the program and some that may not). But if you think they will donate back $800k to athletics from that one game, I doubt it. We have the smallest budget in the conference and big dreams for our facilities. We just can't say no to an $800k payday. Plus we got a game on TV that probably didn't have much of a shot.

Giving up a home game - Sure, we lose the home game this year. But based on the info in this thread, sales through the schools are 11k for ISU and 9k for KSU. This is going to be far from a home game for KSU. And I'm sure the other KC Cyclones on this board will back me up when I say KC is not the KSU hotbed that a lot of you seem to think. It us KU and Mizzou around here. I would say KSU fans are no more visible than ISU, Iowa, or Nebraska fans around here. And also remember, we skip the road trip to KSU next year with this deal, and if you look at the schedules, we need to drop a road game next year a lot more than we need an extra home game this year. Our 2010 schedule is brutal.

Fan cost - Is it really that much more? As was pointed out, you can get tickets to this game for $25 vs $60 for a game at JTS. That saves you $70 as a couple or $140 as a family of four. I think somebody posted on this site just the other day that there were additional rooms still available at the Sheraton for around $70, so put your ticket savings into the hotel and bam, you break even. Heck, think of it as your bowl trip budget, because looking at the schedule the next couple years, you may get to save until 2012 before you make a bowl trip again. And if you are really trying to cut corners, it is only 3 hours from central Iowa, make it a day trip. The difference in your gas costs as a Des Moines resident for an Ames game or a KC game is probably like 30 or 40 bucks. If that makes it or breaks it for you, you probably shouldn't be going to the game if it is in Ames either.

Atmosphere - The atmosphere for the FSU game back in 2002 was the best of any ISU game I have ever been at, home, away, bowls, anything. Arrowhead is a great stadium, and there is a reason it claims to be the loudest in the NFL. The tailgating is great, and there are a ton of things going on in KC that weekend. Honestly, even though this is just a neutral site game between a couple conference bottom feeders, it really should have the potential to be a much better trip than any bowl game we have been to (well, maybe not the Insight).

Sure, it sucks for some of you that could have made the game in Ames but can't get to KC. But I think it is pretty clear that the good outweighs the bad with this deal, and obviously the ISU athletic department agrees. I can't wait to see everyone at Arrowhead Saturday!

Oh, and tally up my group of 7 as another group that went through Ticketmaster and not ISU.

Reactions: Havs

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Wow, so much negativity for no good reason. Let's break it down.

Financial - We are getting $1.8M over two years with perhaps more coming from a cut of the gate. If we drop this deal for the usual home and away, we probably make $1M. Sure, some of the local businesses will miss out (some that may help out the program and some that may not). But if you think they will donate back $800k to athletics from that one game, I doubt it. We have the smallest budget in the conference and big dreams for our facilities. We just can't say no to an $800k payday. Plus we got a game on TV that probably didn't have much of a shot.

Giving up a home game - Sure, we lose the home game this year. But based on the info in this thread, sales through the schools are 11k for ISU and 9k for KSU. This is going to be far from a home game for KSU. And I'm sure the other KC Cyclones on this board will back me up when I say KC is not the KSU hotbed that a lot of you seem to think. It us KU and Mizzou around here. I would say KSU fans are no more visible than ISU, Iowa, or Nebraska fans around here. And also remember, we skip the road trip to KSU next year with this deal, and if you look at the schedules, we need to drop a road game next year a lot more than we need an extra home game this year. Our 2010 schedule is brutal.

Fan cost - Is it really that much more? As was pointed out, you can get tickets to this game for $25 vs $60 for a game at JTS. That saves you $70 as a couple or $140 as a family of four. I think somebody posted on this site just the other day that there were additional rooms still available at the Sheraton for around $70, so put your ticket savings into the hotel and bam, you break even. Heck, think of it as your bowl trip budget, because looking at the schedule the next couple years, you may get to save until 2012 before you make a bowl trip again. And if you are really trying to cut corners, it is only 3 hours from central Iowa, make it a day trip. The difference in your gas costs as a Des Moines resident for an Ames game or a KC game is probably like 30 or 40 bucks. If that makes it or breaks it for you, you probably shouldn't be going to the game if it is in Ames either.

Atmosphere - The atmosphere for the FSU game back in 2002 was the best of any ISU game I have ever been at, home, away, bowls, anything. Arrowhead is a great stadium, and there is a reason it claims to be the loudest in the NFL. The tailgating is great, and there are a ton of things going on in KC that weekend. Honestly, even though this is just a neutral site game between a couple conference bottom feeders, it really should have the potential to be a much better trip than any bowl game we have been to (well, maybe not the Insight).

Sure, it sucks for some of you that could have made the game in Ames but can't get to KC. But I think it is pretty clear that the good outweighs the bad with this deal, and obviously the ISU athletic department agrees. I can't wait to see everyone at Arrowhead Saturday!

Oh, and tally up my group of 7 as another group that went through Ticketmaster and not ISU.

Well put, people anymore are just looking for a reason to complain. There are alot of peole who don't live in Ames that make the same or similar length drives...

It is Kansas City people...I know we "gave up a home game" but we gave it up for a better venue in a location 3 hours from home. I for one am looking forward to it, and have been ever since they announced it. If you don't want to pay for a hotel, lay off the booze and drive home. If you don't want to lay off the booze, bring friends, chip in on a hotel, and hit the bars afterwards.

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
Ok, it's probably been posted already but I'm too lazy to dig through all the crap that has already been said.

Are some of you people forgetting that we play AGAIN at Arrowhead next season? You know what that means? That means we don't have to visit the landfill known as Manhattan Kansas. Excluding 2004, we friggin never win in Manhattan. That place is a shitbox. Great work by JP getting us out of that one.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
An estimated 35,000 fans will be in attendance – 24,000 K-State fans and 11,000 ISU fans. The end result is one extra road game this year. However, our Athletic Department will profit an additional $800,000 over the course of the next 2 years. If this one additional game costs us a bowl bid it will not be worth it. If we win it will be worth it. Let’s win! I am jacked up for the game and will be in attendance!

You can't read can you?

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
An estimated 35,000 fans will be in attendance – 24,000 K-State fans and 11,000 ISU fans.

What? Have you read any of this thread? KSU has sold 9,000 through the school compared to our 11,000. Assuming a similar amount bought through Ticketmaster, the crowds will be almost 50/50, with the possibility of ISU having more fans.

Piggypen6

Dec 12, 2008
Florence, AL
Getting married at kickoff time this weekend so if we could we would be there. But alas we needed a weekend to get married and this was the only one that worked.

PGreen ISU '92

Mar 6, 2008
Waukee, IA
The extra $800,000 in profit over 2 years will be worth it but only if it doesn't cost us a bowl game this year. Let's win and make it a non-issue! I'm jacked up for the game and I'll be in attendance!

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
If people arent taking the extra measure to bring someone that wasnt going, should they really complain about a small crowd.

I hope this gets upto 40,000 and I still think it could since the weather is supposed to be really nice in KC that day.