BCoffClone125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
You don't own up to an error within 2 days of announcing it, it never should have been announced then. Nothing has changed in Iowa outside of some politically driven negative newspaper articles. Cases are down every day since it was announced.

It's a bad look to be indecisive, but an even worse look to ignore the warning signs and stick to your initial decision due to pride. I think they are making the right decision and am just glad we are still playing a football game next Saturday.

• Agree
Reactions: Bigman38 and HFCS

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
ISUKendall/RustShack - there's an overwhelming amount of evidence that shows it's safer to be outside, weaing a mask than enclosed at a bar or someone's residence without one. You believe all those fans who were planning on going to the game are now going to go home and watch it in solitude?

If they want to throw a Covid party gamewatch, that's up to those fans. But it shouldn't play into the AD's decision one bit. If fans want to be outdoors, watch it from your backyard. That's likely where I'll be.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Seems extreme to go from 25k to zero...Iowa covid numbers are going to drop and trend downward over next week to 10 days. and then continue to drop. They could have 5000 fans and properly social disctance etc.. FCS game had 3000 fans and there was no outbreak after that game..

With schools opening in person across the state (and a statewide positivity rate around 15%) and no further shutdown of in-person dining or a mask mandate, it is very unlikely that the rates will fall in the near term.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
It's a bad look to be indecisive, but an even worse look to ignore the warning signs and stick to your initial decision due to pride. I think they are making the right decision and am just glad we are still playing a football game next Saturday.

To some it's a bad look. To others, it's a positive that people in charge are willing to listen to the public response and adjust. I guess it just depends on what camp you are in.

• Agree
Reactions: BCoffClone125

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

It could have been a case where both major programs in state were making a mistake.

I still don't see the point of B10 teams practicing without games. Seems like they are taking 99% of the risks involved with injuries and covid with only 10% of the benefits without getting games in.

Likewise with the highest % capacity attendance in FBS in a state that is not at its best point for the virus, we could have been making an odd decision. Are any other FBS programs opening with 40-45% capacity?

I think playing without fans in week one is the most safe choice when in reality nobody knows what is truly best. Despite what some on here say, nobody thinks all of society should grind to a complete halt.

Reactions: JimmyChitwood

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
With schools opening in person across the state (and a statewide positivity rate around 15%) and no further shutdown of in-person dining or a mask mandate, it is very unlikely that the rates will fall in the near term.
What does the positive rate mean?

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
If they want to throw a Covid party gamewatch, that's up to those fans. But it shouldn't play into the AD's decision one bit. If fans want to be outdoors, watch it from your backyard. That's likely where I'll be.

Are people not allowed to watch TV at home with families? 25k in a stadium or a watch party are the only options?

I've enjoyed MLB and NBA quite a bit at home without being in a bar or around 25k people.

• Winner
Reactions: VeloClone

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
To some it's a bad look. To others, it's a positive that people in charge are willing to listen to the public response and adjust. I guess it just depends on what camp you are in.

That guy that was going to go in to the supermarket and blow as many people away as he could but then gave it a couple days and came to different conclusion and decided not to do it = WEAK

isucally

Mar 21, 2006
Omaha, NE
Just means all that many more people will be gathering at house parties where the likelihood of transmission is far greater. But the Karens of the world will keep on believing that the decision is going to mitigate the spread.

Let this be a lesson. What they are REALLY saying is that masks don't work. Even when used outside and with proper social distancing.

This. If masks work then it's time for these events to start happening, and if they don't then we need to be done with them. We went three months into this pandemic with no one wearing masks, now we all wear them and virtually nothing has changed from my perspective. There is no reason why if the protocols put in place were followed, which I think for the most part they would be, that we can't have 25k in the stadium for a game....

Last edited:

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

Not necessarily. We're seeing a spike as the virus is really finally hitting the Midwest. Other regions have seen the spike and are on the way down even with school starting in person. So I don't think this is solely on school starting. It was going to hit us whether school started or not. It was just bad timing that the Midwest spike coincided with school starting to get hit even worse.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I knew that, but not sure many do. The way people throw that around is almost like they think that 15% of the population is positive..

but again that’s still very high.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Repeating your lies over and over doesn't make them true. You are still 100% wrong about this.

I'm not, your side is the one lying. If I was not so dang busy I'd dig into the data and prove it. They said exactly what happened. They included months worth of antigen positive test's into just a few days.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
This. If masks work then it's time for these events to start happening, and if they don't then we need to be done with them. There is no reason why if the protocols put in place were followed, which I think for the most part they would be, that we can't have 25k in the stadium for a game....

Masks *HELP* - they don't prevent all transmission, they help lower transmission rates.

• Winner
Reactions: VeloClone

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Good for the corona bro’s. Their voices were heard loud and clear.

This had nothing to do with "corona bros" this was all driven by the concerns from City of Ames and Story county and their respective business owners that had to close their doors. Kudos to Iowa State for listening, it really shows how close of a relationship the city and school have.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron