Iowa Football Recruiting

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
This thread needs to just go away. The only things that have changed are the recruits names and the obvious retread banned posters that got a get out of jail card, since this thread began in 2016. Wash, Rinse and Repeat.

• Agree
Reactions: Frak

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
CMC's classes are way better than Rhoads were, so I'm not sure what to think about what you are saying. Rhoads classes were consistently in the 60's. CMC classes now are in the 40's. If you can't see that CMC is bringing in a much higher quality player base than Rhoads did, then this conversation with you isn't worth having.

Way better? I don't agree with that ranking-wise. CPR's class rank average on Rivals was 59.6 (not including his first class, which was mostly Chizik players). CMC's average so far (not including 2021) is 48.6. It's definitely been a step up, but at least as far as rankings, it's not a huge step. Now what I WILL agree with is that he's bringing in a much higher quality player...which is my point about evaluation in the first place. And the results on the field bare that out.

Last edited:

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Well you need to inform Twins that Purdy wasn't an stud that Bama wanted in the worse possible way.

I cheer for Iowa, so I know all about under the radar recruits. You can't make a living off those alone though. You still have to win recruiting battles against other P5 teams for players that lots of other teams want as well. I simply said that getting 4 recruits with a combined 1 P5 offer isn't really the start you want recruiting wise. You really gotta be drinking the kool aid to get excited about the guys nobody else wanted.
Meh. I’d take Montgomery, Rose, Vance, Newell, Hummel, McDonald, Kolar, etc. type of guys all day.

(you know, guys that didn’t have any other P5 offers).

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
Meh. I’d take Montgomery, Rose, Vance, Newell, Hummel, McDonald, Kolar, etc. type of guys all day.

(you know, guys that didn’t have any other P5 offers).

You'd take them over Purdy, Lima, Deshaunte Jones, Bailey, Payne, Allen, Kolar (had an Oklahoma St. offer), Milton, Petersen, Eisworth, Downing, Brock, and Hall? All of those guys had at least 1 other P5 offer. Heck Vance would have had other P5 offers if he wasn't a risk eligibility wise. So sure CMC hit with a few guys that didn't have other offers, but as you can see ISU has had much more success with guys who also had other P5 offers.

Same goes for Iowa. Iowa does develop players who were under recruited, they do better with guys who had at least 1 other P5 offer. (Hockenson, Fant, Wirfs, AJ, Smith-Marsette, Alaric Jackson, Lattimore, Anthony Nelson, etc).

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
You'd take them over Purdy, Lima, Deshaunte Jones, Bailey, Payne, Allen, Kolar (had an Oklahoma St. offer), Milton, Petersen, Eisworth, Downing, Brock, and Hall?.
A lot to dissect here in this straw man response.

1. nobody said “we’d take them over” these players.
2. The list I mentioned wasn’t limited to those players.
3. Payne had 0 P5 offers out of JUCO, Kolar wasn’t offered by OSU until signing day.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
A lot to dissect here in this straw man response.

1. nobody said “we’d take them over” these players.
2. The list I mentioned wasn’t limited to those players.
3. Payne had 0 P5 offers out of JUCO, Kolar wasn’t offered by OSU until signing day.

The other thing is that a lot of times, these offers don't get reported. How many times have we heard about some school going after one of our commits late? And obviously, it's not limited to ISU, it happens everywhere. But TJ Tampa had a Georgia offer late and waited a few days after NSD to sign because of it. 24/7 shows the offer, but Rivals does not. As far as Rivals is concerned, Tampa is a mid 3 star with P5 offers from Maryland and Rutgers...not that impressive. This kind of stuff happens all the time and IMO we put way too much credence in these recruiting services like what they say is law. There's way more grey area than most people realize...it's not so black and white.

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
The other thing is that a lot of times, these offers don't get reported. How many times have we heard about some school going after one of our commits late? And obviously, it's not limited to ISU, it happens everywhere. But TJ Tampa had a Georgia offer late and waited a few days after NSD to sign because of it. 24/7 shows the offer, but Rivals does not. As far as Rivals is concerned, Tampa is a mid 3 star with P5 offers from Maryland and Rutgers...not that impressive. This kind of stuff happens all the time and IMO we put way too much credence in these recruiting services like what they say is law. There's way more grey area than most people realize...it's not so black and white.

Well you only have ISU trolls to blame for most of this. I totally agree that late offers come in, and many of them aren't reported. Yet if it isn't on rivals or 247 your ISU trolls say it never happened.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Well you only have ISU trolls to blame for most of this. I totally agree that late offers come in, and many of them aren't reported. Yet if it isn't on rivals or 247 your ISU trolls say it never happened.

That's pretty rich coming from an iowa troll. ISU trolls have nothing to do with ratings or lack of. If you are thin skinned enough to be offended by Twins and feel the need to "throw it back in our faces", you are just as much of a troll as he is. Bottom line is that your staff has done a good job of finding players regardless of what other offers they have. And our staff has done a good job as well.

SouthernCy

Sep 8, 2019
So you are crapping on a 4* with multiple P5 offers. What must you think of the 4 ISU recruits that have a combined P5 offer list consisting of ISU and and 1 Louisville offer. LOL.
I'm not crapping on them. I'm just tempering your chub stroking back to reality cause you are acting like Iowa has picked up MONSTER 4* guys while trying to s*** on iowa state, which is beyond comical. It's March of 2020. Who's to say you will even keep the people you have committed. Grow a brain cell