Iowa Football Recruiting

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
He had an offer from Bama in January, and it's debatable if it was even a committable offer. They were looking for a backup just in case Hurts bolted. Pretty sure Bama also offered a QB that chose an Ivy League school in the same timeframe. Personally, if you are a 3 star kid, I don't know why you'd go there to be Tua's backup, because they are going to bring in a 5 star to replace him every year. I do know that A&M wanted Purdy bad, but Jimbo was brand new there.

BTW, you are 100% wrong on Campbell. He's done this a lot longer than you think. He had some really good players at Toledo like Kareem Hunt that all of the Big 10 schools passed on. Just because he's not old like Kirk Ferentz doesn't mean that he doesn't have experience finding and developing talent.

Spot on I feel.

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
He had an offer from Bama in January, and it's debatable if it was even a committable offer. They were looking for a backup just in case Hurts bolted. Pretty sure Bama also offered a QB that chose an Ivy League school in the same timeframe. Personally, if you are a 3 star kid, I don't know why you'd go there to be Tua's backup, because they are going to bring in a 5 star to replace him every year. I do know that A&M wanted Purdy bad, but Jimbo was brand new there.

BTW, you are 100% wrong on Campbell. He's done this a lot longer than you think. He had some really good players at Toledo like Kareem Hunt that all of the Big 10 schools passed on. Just because he's not old like Kirk Ferentz doesn't mean that he doesn't have experience finding and developing talent.

Well you need to inform Twins that Purdy wasn't an stud that Bama wanted in the worse possible way.

I cheer for Iowa, so I know all about under the radar recruits. You can't make a living off those alone though. You still have to win recruiting battles against other P5 teams for players that lots of other teams want as well. I simply said that getting 4 recruits with a combined 1 P5 offer isn't really the start you want recruiting wise. You really gotta be drinking the kool aid to get excited about the guys nobody else wanted.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Well you need to inform Twins that Purdy wasn't an stud that Bama wanted in the worse possible way.

I cheer for Iowa, so I know all about under the radar recruits. You can't make a living off those alone though. You still have to win recruiting battles against other P5 teams for players that lots of other teams want as well. I simply said that getting 4 recruits with a combined 1 P5 offer isn't really the start you want recruiting wise. You really gotta be drinking the kool aid to get excited about the guys nobody else wanted.

I don't care what Twins thinks or says, he doesn't speak for me. I'm guessing that I've followed recruiting longer and closer than you ever have. What I know is that ISU won 8-8-7 the past three years under this staff and for ISU's history, that's pretty good. ISU won plenty of battles against P5 teams last year and they'll win plenty this year. If they are getting under the radar guys in November, I'll be a little concerned. Right now, they are going after guys that they've evaluated and targeted. The QB (Wright) had an ISU offer last summer. So, you are going to tell me that just because Texas Tech or TCU didn't offer, he sucks? You either trust the eval of your staff or you don't.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

I think his point was that some of these guys, including this QB that just committed, are probably going to pick up more offers as the recruiting cycle continues. And I really hate to bring this up but Iowa's basketball recruiting class for next year resembles this and I've seen numerous Iowa fans who have expressed excitement with some of those guys. We're a year and a half from the '21 class stepping on campus so there's plenty of time for their recruitment to boost.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
I think his point was that some of these guys, including this QB that just committed, are probably going to pick up more offers as the recruiting cycle continues. And I really hate to bring this up but Iowa's basketball recruiting class for next year resembles this and I've seen numerous Iowa fans who have expressed excitement with some of those guys. We're a year and a half from the '21 class stepping on campus so there's plenty of time for their recruitment to boost.

Was just going to say that. A lot of Iowa fans have convinced themselves that the Murray Twins are going to be really good.

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
I don't care what Twins thinks or says, he doesn't speak for me. I'm guessing that I've followed recruiting longer and closer than you ever have. What I know is that ISU won 8-8-7 the past three years under this staff and for ISU's history, that's pretty good. ISU won plenty of battles against P5 teams last year and they'll win plenty this year. If they are getting under the radar guys in November, I'll be a little concerned. Right now, they are going after guys that they've evaluated and targeted. The QB (Wright) had an ISU offer last summer. So, you are going to tell me that just because Texas Tech or TCU didn't offer, he sucks? You either trust the eval of your staff or you don't.

I follow recruiting closely, just not ISU's recruiting. I am an Iowa fan, so I certainly know about under the radar football recruits, Ferentz has made a living off of them.

As far as Wright goes what I do know is only 1 P5 school feels he is worth of a scholarship right now. Is ISU right, and he is a P5 worthy QB? We will see, only time can tell on these recruits.

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018

Whoa, don’t liken this class to Iowa’s b-ball recruiting class. This class is maybe a 5th of the way complete. Iowa’s b-ball class is finished at 1 P5 offer.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Whoa, don’t liken this class to Iowa’s b-ball recruiting class. This class is maybe a 5th of the way complete. Iowa’s b-ball class is finished at 1 P5 offer.
Yeah the situations are different, but the reactions are the same. Theres a ton of time for our class to round out while Iowa's class is set in stone barring a current player leaving for the draft

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Was just going to say that. A lot of Iowa fans have convinced themselves that the Murray Twins are going to be really good.
I mean feel free to voice your opinion but I'm not buying stock in either of them. I think they both were a tremendous leap of faith for Fran. If Iowa continues success in basketball then it'll be cool story having them but if the program ends up going in the opposite direction in two years, I think there are going to be people who wish they wouldn't have used two scholarships on those two guys.

• Agree
Reactions: iahawks

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Are you calling Frak a liar? He doesn't know if the Bama offer was even commutable.

No one knows what offers are commitable other than the coaching staff. Sometimes even the player in question doesn't know. I mean, does TJ Bollers have a committable offer from iowa right now? He definitely did at one time, but who knows currently. Probably no one will ever really know.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I follow recruiting closely, just not ISU's recruiting. I am an Iowa fan, so I certainly know about under the radar football recruits, Ferentz has made a living off of them.

As far as Wright goes what I do know is only 1 P5 school feels he is worth of a scholarship right now. Is ISU right, and he is a P5 worthy QB? We will see, only time can tell on these recruits.

Well, I also follow recruiting closely and not just ISU recruiting. Just because you are an iowa fan does not make you any more or less knowledgeable about anything. Riddle me this: Why are programs like MSU, FSU, Tennessee contacting Campbell about HC openings in the offseason? It's obviously not because he's an elite recruiter. ISU's class rank is not all that improved from the Rhoads years. They're still in the 40's. Maybe it's because he is pretty good at evaluating and developing talent?

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
No one knows what offers are commitable other than the coaching staff. Sometimes even the player in question doesn't know. I mean, does TJ Bollers have a committable offer from iowa right now? He definitely did at one time, but who knows currently. Probably no one will ever really know.

Oh, I know. Especially in this day and age of sending out so many offers. Coaching staff's offer kids just to kick off recruiting them, even though they have no intention of accepting a commitment if they tried to commit to them on the spot. They offer them when they are 2nd and 3rd choices, not letting them commit even if they wanted to (to me those aren't real offers, but they are reported as offers for sure).

Yet these offers are very, very important around the in state rivals forum. I mean you got trolls here that make a living off these very important offer lists.

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
Well, I also follow recruiting closely and not just ISU recruiting. Just because you are an iowa fan does not make you any more or less knowledgeable about anything. Riddle me this: Why are programs like MSU, FSU, Tennessee contacting Campbell about HC openings in the offseason? It's obviously not because he's an elite recruiter. ISU's class rank is not all that improved from the Rhoads years. They're still in the 40's. Maybe it's because he is pretty good at evaluating and developing talent?

CMC's classes are way better than Rhoads were, so I'm not sure what to think about what you are saying. Rhoads classes were consistently in the 60's. CMC classes now are in the 40's. If you can't see that CMC is bringing in a much higher quality player base than Rhoads did, then this conversation with you isn't worth having.

• Friendly
Reactions: CloneinWDSM

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron