Iowa Beat Writers

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Okay what’s the story here? I looked at the Iowa roster to see if this old teammate of my sons has played any and while scrolling through I saw the Twedt kid who flipped from us. I just went into the bio to see if he had played, it only lists his dad, no mom. Did his mom pass away or something like that?

I know his girlfriend's brother Will Hawthorne was also there Saturday for a visit. Saw pictures of the Twedt kid and his girlfriend after the game along with her parents.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
It's not magic nor luck, Ferentz has done this for two decades. His teams are coached to follow their gameplan and wait for their opponent to make a mistake. It happens, a lot (these are in fact college kids). Iowa's players are put in this position repeatedly and don't panic. It's coaching and discipline. Campbell's teams fall into this trap every single time they play Iowa.

Their luck seems to run out when they play actual good teams though.

CydeofFries

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 10, 2017
His kid is a 2024 recruit at quarterback and they were there on a visit.
Ohhhhh ok that makes a lot more sense. I mean, I wouldn't have put it past Kirk clearly, but that seemed so obviously tone deaf that I figured I misread the context.

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Their luck seems to run out when they play actual good teams though.
Because it's not luck? Their offense is ball control and limiting risk to complement the other two phases. If they get put in a hole the offense isn't coming to save the day.

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
That's exactly how Iowa is built. They don't make mistakes and then when you inevitably do, they beat you with it.

It's not a coincidence that it seems to happen all the time.
Yeah, but some of the mistake are were really really dumb. When the DL takes four steps and dives at Chunky QB's legs...four steps after the ball was released, that's just really dumb. MSU had a lot of that.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I mean I get it but having the privilege. of playing complete garbage offenses kind of overstates how well their plan really works. The last big win Iowa has had was Penn State back in 2021 and they lose that game if Clifford doesn't get hurt.
Agree but the point is Iowa really isn’t any better than the great majority of the teams on their schedule, yet win an inordinate number of games.

• Agree
Reactions: GoHawks

Ron Falenschek

Nov 5, 2020
It is a brilliant strategy in a lightly populated state where the greatest athletic asset is big farm boys. We haven't been able to do it. Ferentz - in his best years - churns out great linemen, pairs them with super mediocre skill players and a slow but stout defense, and plays boring football. Their ignorant fans confuse this brilliant strategy with them actually being a skilled football team. It is ironic that those mouth-breathing idiots may be what drives him out of there.

• Agree
Reactions: Cytown12 and irish

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
LOL there were like three miss holds on that return too. 17 and 4 were holding the entire way down the field. Couple that with a line drive punt and yeah it's probably going to be six.

View attachment 117524

View attachment 117525
Bill come on now screenshots of blocks is what we're doing now? You're so much better than this. You know you can blow up about 70 plays a game and find this. It was a 50 yard punt. The ones that kick 50 and high everytime play on Sunday. Ya it was a little low but the blocking was top notch then Coop splits the two defenders at the midfield then picks up another excellent seal block at the 25. It was just a great play. I'm surprised you can't just tip your cap

• Dumb
Reactions: Cytown12