Interstate Travel

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Have you checked out Waze? It's a pretty cool app that integrates nav with social media so you'll see things like construction, accidents, slowed traffic, even where state smokies are perched. It's a free app. It's dependent on how many other Wazers are in the area and have reported traffic issues. Still, might be worth checking out.

Methinks this might be a little unreliable in his trip from southern ohio to ol' wess vir-ginny....

:pwink:

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
If you want a break from interstate driving you can get off I-77 just south of Charleston WV and get on route 60 (The Midland Trail). That is fairly scenic and you could stop at Cathedral Falls. Then go down 19 to cross the New River Vally Gorge. It's one of the highest bridges in America (maybe the highest) It's where they filmed the opening scene from Triple X where he drives the corvette off the bridge
View attachment 20558 View attachment 20559

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
88...toll road. 294...toll road. Not to mention WAY out of your way. I'd wrestle Joliet construction every day to avoid extreme prices on tolls.

80 to 74, 74 to 70 (or 465 around Indy to 70) 70 to Dayton. After that, I'm not as much help.

Buy an IPASS from Illinois. it is $5 and you can reload it or do whatever. Half-price tolls and it saves about 20-30min on toll booths alone.

Lawyered. Also, his number 1 priority was construction not tolls.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Buy an IPASS from Illinois. it is $5 and you can reload it or do whatever. Half-price tolls and it saves about 20-30min on toll booths alone.

Lawyered. Also, his number 1 priority was construction not tolls.

I think most people interpreted that as time savings and not just avoiding construction.

I second the ez pass and waze!

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
It's Dayton to Charleston, WV and down unless I see some crazy reason not to. My 11 and 9 year olds are plenty of excitement at 80 mph. Less exciting at 30-40 mph!
There are some huge holes in the road around Charleston, WV. That is all.

kberyldial

Mar 20, 2006
Where are you heading to here in North Carolina?

A few days at my wife's parents in Mebane. They live in a golf community - good for me. Maybe a night in Chapel Hill at her sister's and then on to Emerald Isle for a week. It's our yearly trip although this is the first time driving.

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
If you want a break from interstate driving you can get off I-77 just south of Charleston WV and get on route 60 (The Midland Trail). That is fairly scenic and you could stop at Cathedral Falls. Then go down 19 to cross the New River Vally Gorge. It's one of the highest bridges in America (maybe the highest) It's where they filmed the opening scene from Triple X where he drives the corvette off the bridge
View attachment 20558 View attachment 20559

3rd highest, I knew the Royal Gorge Bridge in Colorado was the highest. Learned after research that O'Callahan Tillman Memorial bridge in Nevada was #2. I've been to the New River Gorge Bridge and Royal Gorge Bridge, both very cool, Royal is #10 in the world, and New River is #14.

REALLY want to see the Sidu River Bridge in China... 1600+ in the air? Color me impressed. I would have thought they would have just built winding roads up and down those mountains. I guess in China that is a waste of time.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Looks like it was google navigation on my phone. I'm just guessing that it takes delays into account when it decides which route to take you on.
I used Google Navigation on a trip to Michigan this past week and it routed us around traffic/construction on I-80 near Chicago. Was very surprised how accurate and up to date it was.