Interstate Travel

kberyldial

Mar 20, 2006
Preparing for a drive to North Carolina. Anyone know of a good site that shows/discusses current interstate projects across the country? An initial search yielded little. There are a couple ways I could go so I'm trying to determine if a certain route is burdened by heavy roadwork.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I swear google maps was showing that to me recently but maybe that was on my phone. I don't see it now.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Looks like it was google navigation on my phone. I'm just guessing that it takes delays into account when it decides which route to take you on.

kberyldial

Mar 20, 2006
Sounds to me like you are trying to take all of the excitement out of summer travel.

:jimlad:

It's Dayton to Charleston, WV and down unless I see some crazy reason not to. My 11 and 9 year olds are plenty of excitement at 80 mph. Less exciting at 30-40 mph!

kberyldial

Mar 20, 2006
Looks like it was google navigation on my phone. I'm just guessing that it takes delays into account when it decides which route to take you on.

Thank you! Google maps on my phone actually shows a construction icon on roads. So I can follow my route and check it out.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Preparing for a drive to North Carolina. Anyone know of a good site that shows/discusses current interstate projects across the country? An initial search yielded little. There are a couple ways I could go so I'm trying to determine if a certain route is burdened by heavy roadwork.

Have you checked out Waze? It's a pretty cool app that integrates nav with social media so you'll see things like construction, accidents, slowed traffic, even where state smokies are perched. It's a free app. It's dependent on how many other Wazers are in the area and have reported traffic issues. Still, might be worth checking out.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Let the amazing ISUCyclones2015 help you. Take 80 East to 77 South then to wherever. 74 to Salem 40 to Greensboro etc etc. The only construction you will hit is in Joliet, Illinois which can be avoided by taking 88 over to Chicago then 294 down to 80. And also in Western Ohio which can't be avoided but it isn't nearly as bad as the construction in Indy and Dayton. Or if you're taking the Cincy route, that sucks too.

My way, you can stop and see things like Chicago, South Bend, Cleveland (Rock and Roll Hall of Fame), Canton (Pro Football Hall of Fame), Coshocton (really cool Erie Canal city and just awesome history), Marietta (same as Coshocton but on the Ohio River), the West Virginia Turnpike which is a blast to drive 65-75mph. And Parkersburg is pretty cool too.

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
My recommendation is to use googlemaps, get to the street view, and click/"drive" every route conceivable until you find one with no road crew on it. Granted, those images are a year old, but judging by some of the states between Iowa and North Carolina, it is likely those still have road work on them in the exact spot they had in 2011 (looking at you Illinois).

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
BTW-My Waze groups

Motor Trend
The Fast and the Furious fans
Johnston Iowa Wazers
Iowa Wazers

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
Let the amazing ISUCyclones2015 help you. Take 80 East to 77 South then to wherever. 74 to Salem 40 to Greensboro etc etc. The only construction you will hit is in Joliet, Illinois which can be avoided by taking 88 over to Chicago then 294 down to 80. And also in Western Ohio which can't be avoided but it isn't nearly as bad as the construction in Indy and Dayton. Or if you're taking the Cincy route, that sucks too.

My way, you can stop and see things like Chicago, South Bend, Cleveland (Rock and Roll Hall of Fame), Canton (Pro Football Hall of Fame), Coshocton (really cool Erie Canal city and just awesome history), Marietta (same as Coshocton but on the Ohio River), the West Virginia Turnpike which is a blast to drive 65-75mph. And Parkersburg is pretty cool too.

88...toll road. 294...toll road. Not to mention WAY out of your way. I'd wrestle Joliet construction every day to avoid extreme prices on tolls.

80 to 74, 74 to 70 (or 465 around Indy to 70) 70 to Dayton. After that, I'm not as much help.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
88...toll road. 294...toll road. Not to mention WAY out of your way. I'd wrestle Joliet construction every day to avoid extreme prices on tolls.

80 to 74, 74 to 70 (or 465 around Indy to 70) 70 to Dayton. After that, I'm not as much help.

We bought an EZ-Pass in Indiana on a trip a few years ago for $10 (with $8 of toll credit), registered it, pay half-price using the open-road tolling, and it recharges automatically. It can be used in Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, and more.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron