INSIDER: Some nuggets on the open OC spot

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Watched Remember the Titans again the other day.

Matt Campbell is playing the role of Head Coach who coordinates the offense that was played by Denzel Washington. Jon Heacock is the defensive genius who coordinates the defense that was played by Will Patton.

Bottom line is that Campbell wants continuity. The concepts remain the same. Manning was a good coach. A coach who was given a promotion to OC when Jason Candle took the Toledo job. Campbell has influenced the offense the whole time Manning was OC. That won’t change.

Are you saying we'll be switching to the Split Veer?

“I run 6 plays, Split Veer. like Novocaine. Just give it time, it always works.”

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Are you saying we'll be switching to the Split Veer?

“I run 6 plays, Split Veer. like Novocaine. Just give it time, it always works.”

Earle "JellyBelly" Bruce would be proud. He had the Cyclones as the #2 offense in the nation running the veer.

• Agree
Reactions: GM4ISU

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
The old Andy Reid method. He’s always been the OC of his teams. His “OC” gets hired away(seems like every other year), he promotes from within, he’s still successful because it’s still his offense and it’s still a coach familiar with his offense helping him run it. Wash, rinse, repeat.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
The more time passes, I'm not convinced Messingham was the problem. He seems to have the OC thing figured out at NDSU...

His biggest problem was that he had to try to continue running Herman’s offense instead of his own, while being micro managed. Then the next year we bring in another assistant and decide to start implementing part of his Nevada offense, instead of letting Mess just be the OC.

• Agree
Reactions: danielyp29

brycy

Apr 11, 2006
Interesting. Had not heard this before.
With a couple of the questionable play calling games last year, I have to give Manning more credit for taking the bullets that came his way.
I'm with you that we'll be fine with CMC taking over play calling duties.
Yeah he seemed pissed with the passes against KSU when runs would have kept the clock running. Always wondered if he heard the play calls to the qbs helmet, or if he could chime in. If anyone knows, let me know. I assumed he couldnt.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
Yeah he seemed pissed with the passes against KSU when runs would have kept the clock running. Always wondered if he heard the play calls to the qbs helmet, or if he could chime in. If anyone knows, let me know. I assumed he couldnt.
There aren't any helmet radios in college football. It all comes from the sideline.

• Agree
Reactions: JimmyChitwood

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I think WR coach Gasser is being overlooked to become the new OC. He has been with CMC for 7 yrs, has OC experience at a division 2 school, and has been in the box the last 2 years with Manning.i see Matt grooming him to be the new OC.

I understand what you are saying but Manning wasn't in the box he was always on the sideline calling plays.

• Disagree
Reactions: TXCyclones

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
We look to the sideline to see if we are checking out of a called play.

Manning was 100% in the box. ISU's game notes said as much.

Well I hate to break it to you the game notes aren't always accurate. I'll trust my own eyes when standing less than 20 ft from him on the sideline.

• Funny
Reactions: CyDude16

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Well I hate to break it to you the game notes aren't always accurate. I'll trust my own eyes when standing less than 20 ft from him on the sideline.

He called plays from the press box. They would show him there during games on telecasts as well.

Reactions: CyDude16

DBQR4CY

Jun 7, 2013
Ankeny(By way of Dubuque)
People realize that if Manning would have been hired away a week or two after the bowl game that CMC would have the time to hire from outside the program and get the new OC integrated into the program in time for the Spring game. With the opening coming so late and other positions to now fill it makes sense that CMC will either call the plays himself or promote from within and have them learn on the job.

I think that CMC will call most of the plays this year due to his experience doing so and for continuity. Next season he will have the entire off season to address the position and hopefully after another bowl game other coaches will see ISU as a real up and comer and not a one hit wonder. So CMC will have a bigger pool to find the right person for the job that could take the offense to the next level.

Whoever the OC in the future is, ISU will never have a Texas Tech/Baylor style offense. That's not CMC. I'd like to see ISU turn into KSU 2.0. Meaning that the offense is more about ball control but can still be aggressive when needed.

Again, Manning was hired away late in the off season which puts CMC in a tough spot to fill that position from outside the program. If this happens earlier, we'd know who the OC would be already.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron