INSIDER: Some nuggets on the open OC spot

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Just playing devil's advocate, but we also trusted Rhoads at the time he hired Messingham

I know it's not apples to apples since Campbell has OC experience, but still, it's similar since it's staying internal
I feel like it’s closer to comparing apples to a crescent wrench.

• Funny
Reactions: khardbored

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
We might have guys that can teach, coach, game plan etc...but do they have the ability to call plays during a live game? To me that is the huge question mark, the huge issue. Is there anyone that can feel their way through a game, make quick on the fly decisions, keep the other team off balance? Those things are a whole difference skill set than teaching fundamentals and stuff like that. Call me hugely concerned that we are more than likely going with a novice play caller, how is a guy like that going to call or win a game in Iowa City early in the season?

Manning was very new to the play calling thing, wasn't he?

And I'm not so sure those play calls were always great. There was a tendency to go away from what was working, or to not fix what wasn't working, in crucial moments last year.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I felt much better after listening to the Jay Jordan podcast. I love Tom Manning, but now I see where he could improve.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Manning was very new to the play calling thing, wasn't he?

And I'm not so sure those play calls were always great. There was a tendency to go away from what was working, or to not fix what wasn't working, in crucial moments last year.
He was new. Pretty good considering that, but it’s not like we lost a guru.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I'm only nervous because Campbell has already lost Candle and now Manning. How many times can he promote from within replacing each coach with an equal caliber coach?
Hopefully at least 3 times...

• Agree

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Man I'm not worried about this at all.

It's a system thing. It's Campbell's system.

FWIW: I loved Tom Manning. Hope he's a future head coach at Iowa State. He's big time. HOWEVER, this late in the game, I'd much rather keep this in house to keep a good thing going. Campbell called half the plays the last two years anyways. I think because we are Iowa State fans, we just tend to overthink things.

If there was some home run hire out there to make, I'm sure Matt would make it. But this guy is all about culture. I know he admires how Kirk has kept his staff in tact over all those years. I think he wants to do the same thing.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I'm only nervous because Campbell has already lost Candle and now Manning. How many times can he promote from within replacing each coach with an equal caliber coach?
He lost Candle?

To answer your question, an endless amount of times. Any transition has risk, but good head coaches are generally good at identifying good assistants. He’s not picking blindfolded. Given where his assistants are going he’s good at stocking his staff.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
An outside hire by Campbell would be antithetical to pretty much every personnel decision he has made so far.

If anything, this type of move was expected.

Once (if) ISU is more established than I could see outside hires, but when one is trying to build a program keeping it "within the family" seems pretty sound.

Also, it is only 1 good year under CMC. There is a lot of momentum right now, but ISU's tradition is not having one. Probably premature to think that ISU can attract young, up and coming coaches.
Do you know who David Montgomery is? I'll hang up and listen.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
He's the OL guru.
Perhaps, but that is a development aspect and the season is less than 7 months away.

The difference in performance next year between Myer + CMC running things and Manning isn’t great.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Changing to an OC outside the system is just out of the question right now. We are pretty close to spring ball, and learning all new terminology, the players finding their new niches, etc. Only answer is to share the responsibility with Campbell until someone else can take the reins. Pretty much what we had with Manning. Not that Manning wasn't a great coach, he was, but I think the system is bigger than one bright star.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I am just concerned that ISU is putting a lot of very young guys into critical positions. CMC is the coach and in the end this could be a career make or break move, and he is well aware of how fast the momentum from last year can disappear.

Well, hiring seasoned veterans like Mangino wasn't exactly a career booster, so going young is fine by me.

Last year was just a part of the foundation, not the ultimate goal. The amount of wins was ahead of schedule and this next season might be more similar.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Man I'm not worried about this at all.

It's a system thing. It's Campbell's system.

FWIW: I loved Tom Manning. Hope he's a future head coach at Iowa State. He's big time. HOWEVER, this late in the game, I'd much rather keep this in house to keep a good thing going. Campbell called half the plays the last two years anyways. I think because we are Iowa State fans, we just tend to overthink things.

If there was some home run hire out there to make, I'm sure Matt would make it. But this guy is all about culture. I know he admires how Kirk has kept his staff in tact over all those years. I think he wants to do the same thing.

Systems are fine, great actually. But that is not going to keep a defense off balance. A play caller with the ability to push buttons on the fly in the heat of battle can. Not all football coaches can call a game. I have a friend who coaches college football (D3) and there is a lot of good coaches that can't feel their way through a game very well, it to fast for them, to hectic.

• Informative

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
As a Cyclone fan, my brain is having a hard time coming to a conclusion about this departure. On one hand it seems Campbell and company are more cohesive as a staff than previous administrations and should be able to pull this off from within and train up the next up and comer to continue the climb.

On the other, I've watched Steve Loney leave and be replaced by Steve Brickey then Barney Cotton. McFarland - we will just have to agree to skip the Chiz years. I've watched Herman leave and be replaced by Messingham then Mangino. This history has repeated itself far too often to not to have an affect on my anxiety level.

It feels like the Manning departure was a year too soon, as I think 2018 will be excellent if injuries stay away and the o-line can take another step. I do believe CMC has a vision for what he wants and has a history of running competent offense. I believe he can groom someone to take over while picking up the slack in the near term and hopefully we can keep the car out of the ditch this time.

I'm also hopelessly optimistic one of these days Cyclone Football will be able to make their own luck and take control of their own destiny. I will say I can't wait to watch it unfold and see how history will judge a few years from now.

The difference is CMC is an offensive coach. He can bring someone in or promote someone who thinks similar to how he does and teach them the ropes. That would also give him the ability to call plays as he sees fit in a game.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa

Or he is damn good at hiring assistants and they go on to better things. That is a good thing and says a lot about Campbell.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Changing to an OC outside the system is just out of the question right now. We are pretty close to spring ball, and learning all new terminology, the players finding their new niches, etc. Only answer is to share the responsibility with Campbell until someone else can take the reins. Pretty much what we had with Manning. Not that Manning wasn't a great coach, he was, but I think the system is bigger than one bright star.

This is CMC's system not much will change as long as he is coach in Ames.

Help Support Us

Become a patron