In memoriam of Brian Ferentz as Iowa's OC

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I’m not sure why Brian Ferentz gets all of the blame. This is Kirk’s offense.
It still is a Cyclone State.

It's a process. Get BF out, new OC comes in and becomes the latest of several OCs to fail at running KF's antiquated offense, then it finally becomes clear that KF is the problem who either needs to be gone or completely removed from having oversight of the offense.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Iowa's offense is still dead last in the country at #131... and it really isn't even close.... they are 16 yds per game worse than second to last place.

They are also over 100 yds per game worse then the next worse B1G team Rutgers. How could Barta possibly let BF stay on the payroll with these results?

1666548508489.png

Donqluione

Feb 5, 2017
Iowa fans look on helplessly as Brian Ferentz brings Iowa trade secrets to Ames, combines them with current ISU trade secrets cementing the complete downfall of Iowa football and launching ISU to a playoff spot.

Brian converts to Iowa St, and with that has an unrivaled passion to make Iowa City pay for its mutiny towards his Dad which happens a few years later.
Is this meant to be sarcasm? If so better label it.

If serious, in what metaverse is this logical? Campbell is going to hire Brian FERENTZ, a failed assistant coach who only has a high job because his Dad forced his hire and who has failed in spite of the golden ticket, to bring down Kirk FERENTZ?

Does the logic go: Kirk calls Matt, hey Matt hire my son to be your OC since everyone here thinks he sucks, I'll let you win here and call in favors from all my coaching buddies so ISU wins lots of games and makes it to the CFP. Then Brian looks like a coaching savant, and I can retire after I'm run out of town due to my failure as the program collapses, and Iowa can then hire Brian the Savant as my replacement, to bring back ISU's trade secrets to incorporate with mine, and bring Iowa to unheard of success??

And Matt, who is also a bit of a control freak, says sure Kirk, I'll fire one of my assistants to hire your failure of a son, always glad to help since I've always been one of your greatest admirers??

Like that? That's how to do sarcasm.

What am I and other posters missing?

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
I’m not sure why Brian Ferentz gets all of the blame. This is Kirk’s offense.
As Cyclones fans, this is the greatest part of all it. Doesn't matter if they change OCs. Nothing will really change until Capn Kirk goes. My take is this: BF will find an NFL gig this off-season and Kirk will announce his retirement in 2 years.

• Agree
Reactions: intrepid27

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
No kidding. Very rarely does hiring a family member end up working. The part that I find so odd is that Kirk doubled down on it when he made him OC and QB coach. That would have seemed like a good time to dial back Brian's influence, but instead he gave him more responsibility.

We'll be dealing with the same thing once Fennelly retires. But if a mistake is made in WBB, it doesn't set back the entire AD.
Very true. Nepotism is wrong no matter where it takes place, even in Ames.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

I don't really care about nepotism if it works. And I don't really care if it backfires for us in WBB.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

There is a difference though.

Bill Snyder's son was the Special Teams coach, and they had one of the best special teams units in the entire country.

Bill's recruiting and honestly the team performance was kind of fading until Billy came in and jump started the new recruiting efforts.

Brian is truly awful. I mean this sincerely, this can't continue. IMO Barta should fire Brian at the end of the year and hope Kirk walks. I think Kirk has been truly outstanding for Iowa, but if he insists on keeping Brian around despite the results he needs to man up.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
As Cyclones fans, this is the greatest part of all it. Doesn't matter if they change OCs. Nothing will really change until Capn Kirk goes. My take is this: BF will find an NFL gig this off-season and Kirk will announce his retirement in 2 years.
What?

Is there a shortage of locker room attendants?

• Haha
Reactions: exCYtable

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I like the 5 games left comments from kf and barta, reading between the lines they are really saying just wait until we play some terrible big ten west teams before judging us.

• Haha
Reactions: Farnsworth

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I'd be curious to know if Barta's admission that Brian doesn't report to him in the Cleveland,com article would open them up for liability. If I were someone who was more qualified but passed over for the position, I'd probably have a little chat with an attorney about them blatantly ignoring the University nepotism policy.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA

Best case scenario (for them), and let's pray this doesn't happen

Reactions: exCYtable

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
If you were Lavar (sp?) Woods putting together amazing special teams each year why would he stick around? With Brian "running" the offense and Parker the D one would think Woods would want a shot at something bigger. Can Iowa keep him around?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Apparently the butthole is the big ten west. Aim for being in that and you will have success. If ISU was in it we would be playing in Indy for the championship. If Iowa was in the big 12 they would be in 11th.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Apparently the butthole is the big ten west. Aim for being in that and you will have success. If ISU was in it we would be playing in Indy for the championship. If Iowa was in the big 12 they would be in 11th.
The BIG west is the buttplug of the P5.

Reactions: BCClone

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
It is hilarious that Iowa has the 130th ranked offense and is playing for the Big Ten championship. No way can they fire Brian after an appearance which is great news for ISU since the series was extended to 2027. ISU now has to make the offensive changes Iowa also needs (but won't do).