In Memoriam: Ames Business/Restaurants

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
Has shogun been mentioned? Was in west ames by the hy vee. They had some great lunch bento boxes. Their sweet potato sushi rolls were delicious as well.

Speaking of that area west cyde wings was over there.

Also not a restaurant/bar but hair mechanics was over there too. Could have a beer while getting your haircut.

pretty sure the Japanese steakhouse that was in that area, next to the shogun, closed its doors too, but I never had eaten there

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
The Broiler was a great high-end date restaurant. Ames still doesn't have a replacement for it.

A little off topic but OG Le's Vietnamese was great. Less great (IMO) since the Le family sold it...
Maudes

CRCy17

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Chicago, IL
what was the wing place that had the free keg of beer on fridays? it was by west hyvee.
West Cyde wings

I remember my group of friends happened to find out about this right at the beginning of them offering this deal and took full advantage. Was a great way to kick off FAC before heading to Welch. Once it got to be more known about, naturally had to split that keg with many more people and was less fun.

Reactions: CyCrazy

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Every time this thread surfaces I think of some long gone favorites. Not just restaurants but bars too. These aren't all top notch places...but I miss them.

• DaVinci's (RIP...although they still have several in Lincoln. And it's still fantastic)
  • Mr. Goodcent's (Still some in Missouri I still get it when down for Big 12 tourney)
  • Happy Joe's
  • Ruttle's
  • Home Team Pizza (HUGER HUGE!)
  • Gumby's (Their pizza sucked but their Pokey Sticks were amazing)
  • Hombre's
  • Chinese Home Cooking
  • Honky Dory's

I never understood the love for Pokey Sticks other than they were like $5 for a box. Weren't they just plain breadsticks?

ISULibrarian

Apr 17, 2010
I never understood the love for Pokey Sticks other than they were like $5 for a box. Weren't they just plain breadsticks?
No, they had cheese (some version of cheese, that is) on them, and came with dipping sauce, marinara/ranch/etc. They also had a BOGO night, and you could get their largest size super cheap.

Reactions: cstrunk

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
No, they had cheese (some version of cheese, that is) on them, and came with dipping sauce, marinara/ranch/etc. They also had a BOGO night, and you could get their largest size super cheap.

Ok, I must be misremembering. They were definitely a popular option on our dorm floor.

Reactions: cstrunk

Pat

Oct 20, 2011

No, they were extra super-greasy breadsticks. But you answered your own question: $5.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Could really use a Pazessco place again. Whatever happened to him after Oddfellows?
Don't have time to read through all today's posts, so apologies if this has already been addressed.
After Pazzesco's , Chris Patterson opened Oddfellows in the northern lights center. Really eclectic decor and menu. Eventually that closed, too. He's still around, plays in Great Caeser's Goat band (used to play in Leaving Texas.) https://www.facebook.com/gcgband/
GCG was on the Ames public TV channel the other night -- I really like their music.

• Informative
Reactions: JP4CY

Help Support Us

Become a patron