In Memoriam: Ames Business/Restaurants

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
After the African restaurant a Mexican place went in, that closed, and now I think another Mexican place is going in.
That building seems like a disaster, El Maguey, I think that’s the most recent Mexican restaurant there, actually had decent food.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Didn't want to go back through this entire Thread. Gotta throw a few in here, that may or may not have already been mentioned.

-Ruttles, I mean the burger bar, the Rama-Lama-Ding-Dong, and the regular car show/meet ups.
-Davinci's, was really good, probably overpriced for the time, but was good.
-Gumby's Pizza, Cheap pizza that was ya know decent, especially at 3am.
-Tazzles and the Deans List....$5 cup, all you can drink nights....
-Keg shop...cuz beer is good, especially from a tap.
-Hunky Dory's, cuz Prince rented that place for an after party, after his show, and my group got in and sat at a table about 5 ft from his.
-Okoboji Grill, not because it was anything great, but because my roommate was the bartender and would make me drinks that were 99% straight liquor.
-Big Earl's....I mean what self respecting college town doesn't have a Big Earl's or two.

I'm sure Im missing a couple.

Reactions: goclones69

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I think in my top 3 missed is OMalley and McGees.

Diamond Dave's used to have great happy hours/drink specials.

The Hallway out at north grand mall was was good on Tequila Tuesdays, not sure when it closed. It was a mellow bar, not a Cave Inn, GrandDaddy's type of place.

Reactions: TXCyclones

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
The Hallway out at north grand mall was was good on Tequila Tuesdays, not sure when it closed. It was a mellow bar, not a Cave Inn, GrandDaddy's type of place.
Did the Hallway become Diamond Daves? Basically 10' North of the North Grand 5 schedule times sign?

crs8975

Aug 14, 2013
Lakewood, CO
I think in my top 3 missed is OMalley and McGees.

Diamond Dave's used to have great happy hours/drink specials.
Diamond Dave's.... there's a name I haven't heard in a while. Remember going there with my older brother and a fake not long before it closed.

Reactions: JP4CY

crs8975

Aug 14, 2013
Lakewood, CO
I saw people mentioning Mexican places. Last time I was in town I was sad to see El Azteca out by the motels closed... only to find they moved into a new spot slightly west closer to Dayton. They always had a margarita that did not disappoint.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Did the Hallway become Diamond Daves? Basically 10' North of the North Grand 5 schedule times sign?
The Hallway was down by JCPenneys directly across from where the toy store (KB Toys?) was.

• Informative
Reactions: JP4CY

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Diamond Dave's.... there's a name I haven't heard in a while. Remember going there with my older brother and a fake not long before it closed.
They used to have huge $2 Captain and Cokes.