In Memoriam: Ames Business/Restaurants

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
My wife came with me on trips when she found Manitowoc, WI had a Pizza Pit! Pretty scenic location about there. We pretty much lived in the underground Campus Town Pit in the day. I think Pizza Pit is only in Iowa and WI?

Ankeny had a small location that closed sometime after 2000. I took 2 summer classes at the Ankeny DMACC campus one summer where I had about a 3 hour gap between classes so would eat an early supper before the 2nd one started. Held me over till fall classes at ISU that I could get my cravings in over the summer.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I know its been discussed earlier in the thread, but shoutout to Home Team pizza. Giant greasy pizza's for under $5.00 was great drunk food

About the only way I could eat Home Team pizza was to load it up with a bunch of toppings. The 1 topping sausage pizza was just a gross greasy mess otherwise.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
That one did! I am not sure if any of the locations are still open - I know that the one in Johnston was a hanger-on for a while?

No they are all closed. The guy that owned them completely mismanaged the money. It's sad because all of the locations were always busy and the food was consistently good. I spent a lot of happy hours at the bar in Ankeny :)

• Sad
  • Informative
Reactions: NWICY and Angie

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
I loved the Brown Bottle. I went to the one in Waterloo a few years ago. Brought back some good memories of my father who love to eat there.
What did you get? Lots of fond memories of the brown bottle growing up. Never knew there was an ames location.

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
I think there was or is one in iowa city too
As far as I know that was the OG, that's where I grew up. The spaghetti with meat sauce was my got to, but I don't remember anything not being great, plus garlic bread and either creamy garlic or their very vinegar heavy italian dressing...now i'm drooling.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
I know it's already been covered, but had a big discussion about Valentino's subs this past weekend. I'm craving one of those so badly. Anybody know a place that matches the taste of those bad boys?

Well dang... now I can't remember if the subs that I loved were Valentino's or Davinci's... I'm almost certain it was Davinci's now. (they were wrapped in aluminum foil and so damn good)

Help Support Us

Become a patron