In Memoriam: Ames Business/Restaurants

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
No, they had cheese (some version of cheese, that is) on them, and came with dipping sauce, marinara/ranch/etc. They also had a BOGO night, and you could get their largest size super cheap.

The supersize pokey sticks where huge.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Side note...while Pokey Stix are no more, there is a pizza chain up here called Toppers and they have Toppers Sticks which might actually be better than Pokey Stix.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Toppers is really growing

Interesting. There used to be like ten locations up here but many of them closed over the past three years even before COVID. I can only think of two in our area actually. But they're good and the pizza is pretty decent for what it is. But the Toppers Sticks are great after bar food.

• Agree
Reactions: CloniesForLife

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
Jeffs pizza has some garlic cheese stick that is pretty much a pokey stick...smotherella sticks, can also get them with any topping they put on pizza.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Gumby's website says there is still one open in Iowa City? Is there truth to this? Are the pokey stix or pepperoni rolls as good as they were in the early 2000s?

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
I remember Pizza House on Lincoln Way was the first to come up with bottomless glasses of pop. came in handy during dead week.

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
I have. They're having a few starting out pains, but great food overall. Southern themed.

We ordered a basket of biscuits as an appetizer, had the shrimp po-boy. Tasty.
We have been once also. The food was good, but it was horrifically slow. I had the po boy and my wife had the catfish and it was about an hour after we ordered before we got our food. They were busy, but not slammed by any means. The Google reviews seem to echo our experience.

We decided we will try again in a couple months to see if they get stuff figured out.

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
We have been once also. The food was good, but it was horrifically slow. I had the po boy and my wife had the catfish and it was about an hour after we ordered before we got our food. They were busy, but not slammed by any means. The Google reviews seem to echo our experience.

We decided we will try again in a couple months to see if they get stuff figured out.
6 months later, still horrifically slow. There were maybe 20 people in there and it still took an hour. Food was average. If you want repeat business, you've got to hit it out of the park. Too many other options and eating out is expensive.

• Informative
Reactions: Agclone91

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
The Mexican place that went into La Fuente must have not made it.