Illinois to offer beer at games

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CaliforniaCy

Sep 8, 2013
California
OSU and TTU do.
OU and TCU look like they are in process, adding it for other sports but not football (yet)
I think KSU and KU are exploring it

I dont think we'll change it though as long as Pollard is here. He seems pretty strongly against it.
Went to the ISU basketball game in Norman in February, they serve beer.

Raiders70

Nov 18, 2015
Why is Pollard against selling beer? Does he think of it as as an exclusive benefit of being a moderate or large donor?

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
We went to the UT game in Austin, was nice to have a beer at the game. They had little stands all around the stadium that sold nothing but beer and liquor. My tickets are right by the Sukup stands, I watch every game as people are bringing down beer to their seats, but since I am unwilling to spend another $3.500 for my season tickets, I am stuck smuggling in rum for my rum and coke.

Its time to step in the 21 century and allow beer sells at the games.

acody

Nov 25, 2006
Why is Pollard against selling beer? Does he think of it as as an exclusive benefit of being a moderate or large donor?

Probably already has an extreme amount of TV revenue coming in and doesn't need any more. Also, there is no need to market alcohol sales in the stadium because fans are getting hammered in the parking lot close to the stadium pre-game and then have quick access to getting extra hammered within minutes on their halftime trip out of the stadium with a quick return back into the stadium.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Probably already has an extreme amount of TV revenue coming in and doesn't need any more. Also, there is no need to market alcohol sales in the stadium because fans are getting hammered in the parking lot close to the stadium pre-game and then have quick access to getting extra hammered within minutes on their halftime trip out of the stadium with a quick return back into the stadium.
I think a lot of the people that run out at halftime might stick around thru halftime if they could get a cold brew inside. Just saying.

Walden4Prez

Jul 8, 2014
Could you imagine the ****-show in Iowa City if they ever let the Tavern Hoks loose with booze DURING the game. WOWZA.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
WVU actually had a decrease in alcohol related incidents.

My buddies and I have been around the bush on this topic, and we think the real reason ISU isn't doing this is the perception that it would effect tailgating. ISU tailgating is what keeps the football program well attended through bad years, and pretty much everyone knows it. If you let the stadium be the party, it cuts down on the desire to pregame, which reduces the scope of the pregame scene, and thus reduces the number of people coming into the game.

It's not a moral thing - we already sell booze to 20% of the people coming through the gate. It's not a risk thing either - many other schools in our position have done it without consequence. It's a very calculated move to not kill the golden goose.

Perhaps ISU should just start selling beer at halftime. :)

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
The real reason we don't have beer is we haven't put the appropriate pressure on Pollard to have it. Squeeze him hard enough and he'll cave. At this point, it appears that it's not an important enough issue to the fan base.