IKEA

ClonesFTW

Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
Anyone who has spent years in a customer-facing role knows exactly what this guy is talking about.

20eyes

May 15, 2020
Anyone who has spent years in a customer-facing role knows exactly what this guy is talking about.
We live in a nation of Karens now, It'd take about three months to catch every one he mentioned...

• Agree
Reactions: mj4cy

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
100%. I think a fielded a version of every one of these when I was a kid. My favorite is the unanswerable statement... These days it's "It said on the website that it was in the store"... as if A) it couldn't have sold out between now and then, B) no errors ever occur, or C) the staff is hiding it from you?

And how dare they even attempt at doing this. I am on to those employees! :jimlad:

• Funny
Reactions: 20eyes

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
Anyone who has ever worked a minute in retail will appreciate this video.

I had an old co-worker at Hy-Vee when I was in high school reply with the "can I talk to your mother" line when he was asked to go get a manager. I had to walk away so I didn't laugh in front of the customer. The lady walked out, and thankfully for my co-worker, never complained.

Why are we rewarding this though?

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
My number one was when people would call in, but before they asked me their simple question. I had to first learn their name, where they were calling from, and the reason they needed to know the price of X, it usually involved how their daughter got screwed over by someone else... Ok the price of motor oil is 35.21 a case. Thanks

Reactions: Angie

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
I don't see a reward, Dave. What am I missing?

As we are discussing this, the people asking for assistance, or clarification on a product's availability are being blanket labeled Karen's and HyVee employees too good to provide even passable customer service are seen as being in the right.

The 'reward' is that it is tolerated or even applauded.

Reactions: VeloClone

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
As we are discussing this, the people asking for assistance, or clarification on a product's availability are being blanket labeled Karen's and HyVee employees too good to provide even passable customer service are seen as being in the right.

The 'reward' is that it is tolerated or even applauded.

But you didn't even hear the discourse that led to him calling her out. I'm going to guess she was not politely asking where the kale was.
There are plenty of scenarios where it is reasonable to ask to speak to a manager. There are also many where someone is getting too big for their britches and needs a little humility.

Don't take it so seriously.

Reactions: BACyclone

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
The greatest thing for retail is the development of apps for stores. Walmart, for example, has a fantastic app that will tell you exactly where a product is in their store. Never have to go find anyone ever again to ask where an item is. Sam's Club also has a fantastic app that I can just scan my own **** and pay online and leave. Let's just get rid of these sales jobs all together and just let me do it myself. No more need for frustrating interactions on either side.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
The greatest thing for retail is the development of apps for stores. Walmart, for example, has a fantastic app that will tell you exactly where a product is in their store. Never have to go find anyone ever again to ask where an item is. Sam's Club also has a fantastic app that I can just scan my own **** and pay online and leave. Let's just get rid of these sales jobs all together and just let me do it myself. No more need for frustrating interactions on either side.

Then the customer service people just have to deal with Nanna who doesn't know what an app is

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
But you didn't even hear the discourse that led to him calling her out. I'm going to guess she was not politely asking where the kale was.
There are plenty of scenarios where it is reasonable to ask to speak to a manager. There are also many where someone is getting too big for their britches and needs a little humility.

Don't take it so seriously.

I'm not serious, I just don't always side w/ the employee. I was in plenty of side stations with waiters complaining about their tables and I worked with enough people to see that the same people always had horrible tables, while others always seemed to get great tips and work their ass off.

Yes Karens exist, but so do crap workers.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Of course there are plenty of s****y employees in retail, food service (all sectors, actually). But I think everyone should have to work in retail or restaurant industry (or both) for six months to a year, at some point -- can't truly be "required," but urged to do so.

I didn't have a job of that sort until post-college but it was an eye-opener. Especially the food-service ... altered my perspective as a patron.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I'm not serious, I just don't always side w/ the employee. I was in plenty of side stations with waiters complaining about their tables and I worked with enough people to see that the same people always had horrible tables, while others always seemed to get great tips and work their ass off.

Yes Karens exist, but so do crap workers.

So, it would be best to know the entire situations before judging anyone, right?
And you did sound like you were taking it seriously.

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
So, it would be best to know the entire situations before judging anyone, right?
And you did sound like you were taking it seriously.

The thread is talking about how horrible customers are in a humorous manner and I'm bringing up the other end of the encounter to show that it's not always the customer being a jerk.

I guess I'm not 'joking around' I'm having a discussion, but I'm not angry or upset.