Feedback: If you are having any ad related problems, report here

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Without going back to reread recent posts on the thread...

I remember a while back there were ads that covered the bottom 1/3 of the page. Well, the last few days the drop down ads have covered the top 1/3 of the page—which means I can’t navigate the site.

I “provide feedback” to Google Ads that they “cover content”, but they immediately keep coming and coming and coming, one right after another.

I have no objection to ads, but this is ridiculous.

Edit: I’m on Safari on my iPhone.

• Agree
Reactions: SECyclone

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.

I remember a while back there were ads that covered the bottom 1/3 of the page. Well, the last few days the drop down ads have covered the top 1/3 of the page—which means I can’t navigate the site.

I “provide feedback” to Google Ads that they “cover content”, but they immediately keep coming and coming and coming, one right after another.

Getting hit with these again. Still? Started noticing it Sunday.

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006

There are other alternatives (including better policing of these ads) but you should consider downloading the the Firefox Focus browser and using it as a content blocker in Safari. Go into your settings in Safari — after downloading Firefox Focus as a web browser — and it should appear there for you as an option as it did for me.

There is more information about Firefox Focus where you download it from. I never really used it as a browser, but believe that is where I learned you could use it as a content blocker in Safari on iPad or iPhone. (I use it on both.)

As a blocker in Safari, it will also block things like embedded tweets, which get used a lot here. You can see the tweet if you want by clicking on it, such that it opens in a new window. Alternatively you could turn the FF blocker off momentarily to see it there without leaving the page, using the same menu that you see when you click the Reader view icon up above to the left of the url.

Without leaving the page, you can also turn the default setting for a website (on or off), from that same menu (click Website Settings menu item). This is similar to always having Reader on or off for a particular website. It is very convenient to change settings without leaving the page.

On some sites this has meant the difference between whether I visit them or not. Some I know become just too big of a hassle and a waste of time.

I believe I most often have the FF blocker in Safari turned off for this site and rarely have problems. Just now, as I wrote this, I saw that it was on, and I saw on that same menu that it was blocking two trackers. I turned it off, also as I write this, and see regular unobtrusive ads, but that’s all, which is what I almost always see. My iPhone is one of the larger ones, so maybe the screen size matters too.

Last edited:

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
For completeness, I wrote more in this related thread (in which I linked back to my post above):

For anyone who uses Firefox Focus as a blocker as I suggested, I would mention one more thing. On rare occasion a site wasn’t behaving like it was supposed to. Twice that I recall, both related to logging in.

Once I entered the user name but couldn’t enter a password. I didn’t think of it right away (what the problem was), but it was like a box that should have popped up to enter the password. (Sites often differ in this aspect.) The other time was a check to make sure you are not robot, I believe, like click all pictures with a bicycle in it. There was nothing there at all, and I wouldn’t necessarily have thought of this (what was missing, what the problem was).

Again this was just a couple of times.

But then I realized what the issue was. I now know to simply turn the content blocker off and proceed (and turned out it wasn’t a problem with the website or something else).

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Greater Iowa Credit Union ad started playing with audio just a minute ago. I can deal with ads. Start having audio and I'm out.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.

As of last night, into today, these are back again. Not only blocks content, makes navigation impossible.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
These are new. And useful. Especially since I can’t navigate back to the main forum.

Please pardon my cropping, apparently I can’t upload a full screenshot.

Edit: on my iPhone on Safari.

0DA51F48-30C9-4A77-9EB6-5FCCE2D42F64.jpeg 0A0912A3-9C25-4978-BF19-FEF11BB016D5.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: CycloneCJ

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
Also Android and Chrome Browser.

Just making sure this stays at the top.
Yes. Clicked on a notification for this thread just now and was greeted with the messed up ad. Screenshot_20210608-155754_Chrome.jpg