If Jim Harbaugh...?

candg4ever

Oct 29, 2006
Nevada, IA
The guy's not even here yet, and you worry about how long he's going to stay? That's kind of putting the cart before the horse, isn't it?

brentskicy

Nov 9, 2006
fine, lets stop talking about the coaching search and only talk about the Mizzou game this weekend, that will be pretty interesting.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Speculation is one thing - we all love to do it.

Hopping on your jump-to-conclusions mat is a different animal all together. You're welcome to do it, just don't expect "favorable" responses and discussions.

ISUCY11

Aug 3, 2006
Chicago, IL
I really wouldnt mind if Harbaugh left after 4 or 5 years, because that would mean we would have had success in that time. If he turns us into a prominant player in the Big XII, then left for a bigger program (say Michigan) I really wouldn't mind. Because he would leave ISU in good shape, and many more coaches would want to come here. Why not hire him, let him use us a stepping stone, but more importantly, use HIM as a stepping stone as well.

JCloned

Mar 20, 2006
To get an NFL or Michigan job we would have had at least two seasons that are the best seasons in ISU history. Bring it on.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I'd rather pick up a great coach and then lose him, than have a mediocre coach. Look at some of those schools like Miami (Ohio) and other MAC schools........it seems like they lose their coach every successful year, and just keep rolling. Who says Michigan will want him anyway......just because he went there, and is a good coach. Didn't work like everyone thought for Alford.

gmckern

Oct 23, 2006
If Jim Harbaugh comes to Iowa State and has any success, how long is he going to stay? If job vacancies open up at bigger schools, he will be in the conversation and a big name for these jobs. Maybe going for a lesser known name might the idea if we want this guy to stick around and commit to Iowa State Football.

I think most Clone Fans would want to be put in the postition of everyone wanting their coach because they were sucessful! Do you remember in the last few years of the Tim Floyd era. Rumors were flying with the Bulls, and that comes because of success, which is a good problem to have!!

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
I really wouldnt mind if Harbaugh left after 4 or 5 years, because that would mean we would have had success in that time. If he turns us into a prominant player in the Big XII, then left for a bigger program (say Michigan) I really wouldn't mind. Because he would leave ISU in good shape, and many more coaches would want to come here. Why not hire him, let him use us a stepping stone, but more importantly, use HIM as a stepping stone as well.

Exactly. If Jim Harbaugh comes in here, goes 4-8, 6-6, 8-4, 10-2, 10-2 and then leaves, I would be disappointed (but not heartbroken), but very happy because of what he has been able to do for himself and also for ISU! It won't be hard to find another quality coach to come here after someone shows the nation it can be done at ISU.

If someone is scared of a coach leaving ISU because he does well, then that person is scared of having success.

Nedrick

Mar 21, 2006
Carroll, IA
www.jdesignllc.com
These are all great points about Harbaugh. Assuming he exceeds expectations and is very successful, that means he's done a great job of recruiting too. And if that's the case, it will be much easier to attract the next coach if he knows he's coming into a "full cupboard" situation...

rkthompson

Apr 11, 2006
When was the last time an Iowa State Head Football Coach left for a bigger program? I can't think of any maybe Johnnie Majors? Even in Basketball we have had 1 in the last 20 years. This is not something that keeps me up at night.

Psyclone Brian

Apr 11, 2006
42°00'50"N 93°
And if the moon crashes into the earth, we'll all die.

Tons of if's and but's - sometimes it's nice to live in the moment.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Might also make a mental note that "if" Harbaugh signs, it's going to be for a minimum of 5 or 6 years in my opinion, and rest assured after a few winning seasons & successful bowl games, ol' JP will probably give him a new contract that may run into the next decade. So if he decides to jump ship after that, or somebody's willing to put up the "Benjamin'$" to take him away from us, then I'd say he served his stay. And our financial burden may be no more. And with that surplus of cash, we begin the process all over again. (Funny how things work, huh?)

Somebody in an earlier post made it sound like he'd be year to year with us, and then 'bolt' for the NFL whenever.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I think most Clone Fans would want to be put in the postition of everyone wanting their coach because they were sucessful! Do you remember in the last few years of the Tim Floyd era. Rumors were flying with the Bulls, and that comes because of success, which is a good problem to have!!

I seem to remember we had MORE success after floyd left for the NBA than we did WHILE we had him.

bigred

Nov 4, 2006
Am I missing something? Is there something in Jim Harbaugh's bio that I have not heard? Being a former pro quarterback is good as his being a winning coach at a lower level non scholarship school. But there is nothing to indicate how great a recuriter he will be or sucessful coaching a to level job. Would would think Kragthorpe and Bo Pelini would have better qualifications.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron