If Jim Harbaugh...?

brentskicy

Nov 9, 2006
If Jim Harbaugh comes to Iowa State and has any success, how long is he going to stay? If job vacancies open up at bigger schools, he will be in the conversation and a big name for these jobs. Maybe going for a lesser known name might the idea if we want this guy to stick around and commit to Iowa State Football.

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
in order for Harbaugh to get a bite from a bigger-time programe, he will have to prove himself at ISU over a reasonable amount of time. In my opinion, this would be ~5 years since it will take him at least 2 just to get us moving in the right direction, and then another 2-3 for bigger programs to realize his coaching skill.

ISUCLONES15

Mar 24, 2006
Altoona
In my opinion if Harbaugh were to come to Iowa State I do not see him leaving unless it is for Michigan. I see him coming here, giving us 4-7 very solid years and then leaving for Michigan when Carr decides to give it up.

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
BTW, does anyone know why Jeremy hasn't weighed in on today's events yet? I guess he could be having a really busy day at work......

brentskicy

Nov 9, 2006
How long is JP gonna let this guy stick around if he doesn't produce results in the first few years? We've seen he is pretty jumpy when it comes to hiring/firing new coaches, and he doesn't seem that patient.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Wait, first you are worried how long he'll stay before moving on to something "better". Then you are worried how long before Jamie fires him?

Can we hire our coach first, please.

guitarchitect7

Oct 8, 2006
www.chrisboeke.com
The reality is you will not find another coach like Mac with the dedication to stay with a program like he did. More coaches are about moving up, and hate to break it, but we are far from the top.

brentskicy

Nov 9, 2006
Wait, first you are worried how long he'll stay before moving on to something "better". Then you are worried how long before Jamie fires him?

Can we hire our coach first, please.
what I'm saying is if this guy does great in the first few years, he may head out for a bigger job, and if he doesn't produce results in the first few years, he may be gone too. I couldn't see this guy staying too long either way, unless he really wants to be at ISU.

rkheil

Jun 27, 2006
Johnston, IA
In my opinion if Harbaugh were to come to Iowa State I do not see him leaving unless it is for Michigan. I see him coming here, giving us 4-7 very solid years and then leaving for Michigan when Carr decides to give it up.

Harbaugh has already stated he eventually wants to coach in NFL... so Michigan isn't necessarily his one and only next stop.

klerme

Apr 11, 2006
I don't worry about the Michigan job as much as I do the Raiders. Harbaugh, from the stories I've read, is close with Al Davis, has aspirations to coach in the NFL, several of his current assistant coaches at USD have Raider ties and experience, and since Davis changes coaches once every three years or less, that is the biggest threat. (Similar to Jerry Krause's relationship with Tim Floyd).

With that being said, he would still have to have success at ISU within the next three years to justify Davis (if he is still alive at that point) hiring him, and that success would have to be a minimum of a B12 Title. If he does that, similar to Floyd, I don't care how long he is here, I just plan on enjoying the ride and know that JP would do another good job hiring if that situation were to occur.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
what I'm saying is if this guy does great in the first few years, he may head out for a bigger job, and if he doesn't produce results in the first few years, he may be gone too. I couldn't see this guy staying too long either way, unless he really wants to be at ISU.

And if the moon crashes into the earth, we'll all die.

Tons of if's and but's - sometimes it's nice to live in the moment.

brentskicy

Nov 9, 2006
And if the moon crashes into the earth, we'll all die.

Tons of if's and but's - sometimes it's nice to live in the moment.
isn't that what this website and college sports about. The purpose is to speculate and create excitement about the possibility of what could happen. Sports is all about ifs and buts, and thats what makes it great to watch when anything can happen to any team and any game.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
It is about that....yet why get concerned about wondering how long a coach will be here that we don't even have under contract yet?

Some are so concerned how long the next guy will stay in Ames - or be allowed to say - missing the excitement that is the coaching search.

brentskicy

Nov 9, 2006
It is about that....yet why get concerned about wondering how long a coach will be here that we don't even have under contract yet?

Some are so concerned how long the next guy will stay in Ames - or be allowed to say - missing the excitement that is the coaching search.
thats what the coaching search is about. We don't know what is going to happen in it and we want to speculate about who its going to be. The uncertainty and the possibility of things happen is what its about. The speculation makes people respond and have fun with these topics

Last edited:

clones26

Nov 8, 2006
Urbandale
whos going to be our coach after this new coach!? :eek4wd: Maybe the new coach will stay for like 20 years and then we can hire Seneca Wallace as the HC in 2027? Lets speculate some more, by the way did anyone else go to the Cyclone Luncheon today?

brentskicy

Nov 9, 2006
whos going to be our coach after this new coach!? :eek4wd: Maybe the new coach will stay for like 20 years and then we can hire Seneca Wallace as the HC in 2027? Lets speculate some more, by the way did anyone else go to the Cyclone Luncheon today?
good one, but it happens everyday. I could bet that almost every post in this website has an if, a speculation. I guarantee you have said it before. I'm just trying to make conversation and make people think of the possibilities.

Help Support Us

Become a patron