HUGE Kidde home fire extinguisher recall

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Didn't see this posted here but if you have a Kidde fire extinguisher you purchased anytime other than this year it's likely to be on this recall list.

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2017/k...astic-handles-due-to-failure-to-discharge-and

I tried doing my online with Kidde. I have three that are on the Consumer Product Safety Commission list. Haven't heard a thing from them. Friend tried to do it via phone and got a big runaround on what they are or are not going to replace. My take on this is that these guys have a near monopoly on this market and aren't really going to honor their recall/replace to the fullest.

Probably best to just go buy new ones and toss the old ones (they were supposed to send me something on disposal but got nothing on that either).

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
I heard about this a few weeks ago, right after I bought a fire extinguisher for our house. Went to check which one I had cause like you said, I thought Kidde made all of them, but ours is actually First Alert.

• Winner
Reactions: BoxsterCy

crash_zone

Apr 10, 2006
Sioux Falls, SD
I used the online form to report 2 right when the recall came out. They shipped me 2 free replacements and a return label for the old ones. The old ones were about 5 yrs old. I let my kids practice putting out a camp fire before sending them back.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
When we got into foster care, we had to get our fire extinguishers inspected and tagged every year. The inspecting company we chose told us those Kidde "household-grade" extinguishers with plastic handles are basically junk, so we have been phasing them out for all-metal commercial grade extinguishers.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
When we got into foster care, we had to get our fire extinguishers inspected and tagged every year. The inspecting company we chose told us those Kidde "household-grade" extinguishers with plastic handles are basically junk, so we have been phasing them out for all-metal commercial grade extinguishers.

Heard exactly the same thing. Basically, if you are not getting a commercial grade extinguisher and having it checked routinely, you are rolling the dice.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
both units in our house were under recall, and the one for the RV. Called, and they are on their way.

Didn't know that this was a thing. Thank you OP!

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
I really like the idea of having the kids empty the recalled ones prior to shipping them back.

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006
I really like the idea of having the kids empty the recalled ones prior to shipping them back.

Yeah - Give them experience in actually putting a small fire out with them and it should reduce their anxiety if they really need to use one.

• Agree
Reactions: intrepid27

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
BUMP

Well, I got a big unit in the mail a week or so ago and the small kitchen one came today. Just took more time then I thought but they did arrive even though I didn't think the online entry "accepted" the one. So all is cool.

Been talking with friends and only a few had heard about this recall so let your family and friends know.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Whew. At first I thought this said alarms. I just replaced every, single one in my entire house with Kidde.

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Totally forgot about this thread. Going to have to look at the extinguisher I keep mounted in the Jeep.
Thanks for the thread bump.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Checked ours and it is FirstAlert. Had to buy a bigger commercial grade one when my wife opened an in home daycare. Only have one so we should probably buy another one to have one on each level.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Thanks for the heads up. I have this saved in my work email when it was sent out but I keep forgetting to check mine at home. I have 3 of them that I bought back in June that probably fall under this recall.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron