How much of the offensive inconsistency can be blamed on the awkward schedule?

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
I mean we are in the midst of the second bye week in as many weeks, so I don't think the scheduling can be helping anything. I can imagine its hard to emulate game speed and rythmn while practicing against themselves so much since August. Not taking any blame off of Messingham because he did get outcoached by Greg Davis and has been very predictable.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
No, just no. This offense is a skidmark on the underpants of the team (and the conference). Has noting to do with the schedule.

The excuse machine is chugging strong today.

matty74

Dec 31, 2010
I think it has more to do with a weak OL and a lack of a running game.

Blaming Messingham is a bit ridiculous and shows a lack of understanding of the game of football.

The game was won and lost up front

guacamole7

Feb 4, 2010

Blaming Messingham is a bit ridiculous and shows a lack of understanding of the game of football.

I guess CPR showed a lack of understanding of the game of football when he said the play-calling was a problem during the post-game. It was clearly bad and to suggest otherwise shows a lack of understanding of the game of football. The OL was clearly over-matched like you said, however, we were continuing to run up the middle through the 3rd quarter. The game was lost in the trenches but the play-calling did not adjust. There was talk of 3rd string OL on the field and yet we didn't adjust our plan until it was too late. Just a terrible performance from an offensive play-calling standpoint. To suggest otherwise is one of the most idiotic statements I've ever read on this board.

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008

That is a main reason but the OC should still be fired.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA

This is EXACTLY why Messingham should be canned. If your offensive line is weak and can't run block, you should be scheming around that weakness and getting the ball on the outside of the line either through quick slant passes or sweeps, or anything of the like. Instead, he continues to keep beating our heads against the wall by running up the middle over and over.

matty74

Dec 31, 2010
Or maybe better OL players could be recruited? Seems to be a lot of 5-8 180lb speedsters but no depth at OL or DL

We live in the Midwest. Iowa, Wisconsin, Nebraska etc all seem to recruit and develop these players..Even Minnesota.

It's hard to call anything when your OL is getting dominated up front.

matty74

Dec 31, 2010
This is EXACTLY why Messingham should be canned. If your offensive line is weak and can't run block, you should be scheming around that weakness and getting the ball on the outside of the line either through quick slant passes or sweeps, or anything of the like. Instead, he continues to keep beating our heads against the wall by running up the middle over and over.

They did run a few slants and even a jet sweep..Other than the first long TD, the slants were not there. Iowa was caught on a blitz call with man-to-man coverage and it worked..Was that a bad play call or a missed tackle? Why would you run a sweep with those LBs beating the OL to the outside? The OT's were getting manhandle as well..yet u want to run a sweep?

Richardson did attempt a few shots downfield earlier on but pressure forced a couple errant throws...

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Shut the **** up. You don't understand the game. The OC brilliantly called plays on 3rd/4th down where the primary receiver was well short of the first down - even in short yardage situations.

Why?

You'll never know because none of you know football like Matty do. Not you, not you, not you, not you, not nobody knows football like Matty do. No one.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
They did run a few slants and even a jet sweep..Other than the first long TD, the slants were not there. Iowa was caught on a blitz call with man-to-man coverage and it worked..Was that a bad play call or a missed tackle? Why would you run a sweep with those LBs beating the OL to the outside? The OT's were getting manhandle as well..yet u want to run a sweep?

Richardson did attempt a few shots downfield earlier on but pressure forced a couple errant throws...

So please explain the UNI game. Honestly not arguing because you're probably making valid points. But then you'll need to explain LAST year. Then the year before last and before that and before that because there canNOT be that many instances of blitz calls, or great coverages, or blown assignments to explain why for 5 years running we are the worst B12 offense and one of the worst in ALL of FBS.

You win and lose each and every game based on a handful of easily identifiable situations. Iowa ran it down our throat and we all saw it. Scheme-wise the D adjusted and made a reasonable showing. But what are the broader causes that have lead to 5 flippin years of offensive incompetence?

matty74

Dec 31, 2010
Broader bases? Lack of talented depth

WRs are improved this year but prior to that the WR corps was fairly slow or average.

When was the last time there was a strong running game?

There are reasons why the Rosenfels/Davis era team is probably considered the best ISU team ever.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa

While I do not disagree with the statement that games are won in the trenches, it is up to the coaches and particularly the OC to do what he can with what he had. The first two plays of the game were a pretty good indication that Mess has no clue what he has or what he is doing. H. Fry had a saying scratch where it itches, well, ISU is definitely not doing that. Mess is just calling the plays that he would like to be successful without any regard for the other teams defensive strengths or weaknesses. Yes, the OL could be a lot better, and ISU has had horrible luck with OL this year, but a good coach would try to find a way to make what they have work.

matty74

Dec 31, 2010
Shut the **** up. You don't understand the game. The OC brilliantly called plays on 3rd/4th down where the primary receiver was well short of the first down - even in short yardage situations.

Why?

You'll never know because none of you know football like Matty do. Not you, not you, not you, not you, not nobody knows football like Matty do. No one.

I have reservations whether or not you even know whom the primary receiver was.

Iowa was playing a lot of man-to-man for some reason or another..which is a departure from their usual quarters scheme

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron