How much beer is TOO much beer in a week's time?

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I guess I kind of wonder what is too much at times. I can notice when I do not drink. It crosses my mind, and when the day is over I do look forward to having a glass of beer. I can get edgy or short with the kids or wife when I have not had a drink and a long day at work.

That statement jumped off the page at me. When it feels more like a need, it's too much.

mcdrier

Dec 11, 2013
There is no right or wrong answer here. If it does not dictate or impact your life, I'd say you are fine. But if you start noticing that it does, it would cause me some concern (if it were me personally). But I'd say 20+ drinks per week is more than medical professionals would be comfortable with.

Not to get preaching, but that's a lot of calories to drink too. If you aren't offsetting those, you will likely gain weight pretty quickly. At 4 beers per day and 125 calories per beer, that's 3,500 calories per week in beer consumption alone. That's 1 lb/week of weight gain (again, if you aren't working it off) or 50+ lbs per year. To each his own but some people may not take into account the nutritional aspect of that much beer drinking.

I personally have all but stopped drinking during the week as I found as I get older, even the slightest hangover or foggy head impacts me at work the next day. So I'll limit most of my drinking to the weekend (but drink about every weekend). But again, that's just what I like to do. Everyone is different.

Luckily, I do not gain weight...I have great metabolism. I do not feel like it is impacting my life, other than I get cranky every now and then, and I really like the taste. I hate hangovers. But it does affect my sleep. If I drink the 3 or 4 in one night, I will wake up at 2AM or 3AM not be able to get back to sleep.

True, , if I ask the question, something may be going on. I know the wife says I drink too much beer.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I'm really, really slow to judge on this issue, but if I was getting cranky when I couldn't have a beer, or my wife was telling me to cut back (and she's not being unreasonable with her requests on the topic), I'd probably cut back.

For me, those would be the types of indicators that it was where I didn't want it to be.

FWIW, I've experienced indicators with other substances that my use of them was bordering on a habit and backed off before it did, so I know the feeling. Tobacco and codeine (was prescribed, but got way too much of it) in particular.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Luckily, I do not gain weight...I have great metabolism. I do not feel like it is impacting my life, other than I get cranky every now and then, and I really like the taste. I hate hangovers. But it does affect my sleep. If I drink the 3 or 4 in one night, I will wake up at 2AM or 3AM not be able to get back to sleep.

True, , if I ask the question, something may be going on. I know the wife says I drink too much beer.

Based on the information you've given in this thread, I'd guess most people would not say you have a problem. But like you and others have said, if you are questioning it, you are doing the right thing by digging deeper.

Maybe try cutting back to 1 or 2 beers per night with the occasional 3-4+ and see what that does for you?

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston

Just to play devil's advocate. Your metabolism won't stay great forever, and if your SO is saying it might be too much, then I think that should be taken seriously. It doesn't sound like you have a problem now, but maybe realizing some early signs can help stave off problems in the future. From my experience, when my wife gives her opinion on something, it's usually right, and the times I've ignored the issue, it's only caused a rift that didn't need to be there.

Firefighter4Cy

Oct 23, 2012
Ankeny
A big red flag that I saw while reading through this was you saying your wife mentions you drink too much. That shows that it is affecting her and possibly your kids. That's when it moves to having a beer at night to relax/decompress to "I need a beer or I won't be able to function."

cyclonelifer

Jan 30, 2007
Manchester, England
daveharm.blogspot.com
For me, one beer is to much...

20 years ago I quit drinking. A friend asked me a couple of simple questions. The first one was if I agreed that drinking was suppose to be a fun activity. I agreed with that, then he added that if it is fun then I should never hurt anyone while I drank... after all it is a fun activity. Again, in agreement.

Then he asked if my drinking ever shed a tear. My wife? My kids? My friends? Did they ever cry because of my drinking? If so, then I drank to much and had a problem. I caused enough teazrs to be shed to fill numerous five gallon buckets...

No one should question how much they drink... if they do, then it may be time to put the bottle (or can) down...

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I guess I view the question of "do I drink too much" as no different than questioning if you do anything too much.

There are all sorts of vices in this world that are ok if you don't let them get out of control. And if you do decide you want something in your life, but less of it, you shouldn't be staring down the barrel of an "all or nothing" type decision.

Just because you're overweight and want to get in shape doesn't mean you have to decide to never eat cake again.

Last edited:

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I guess I view the question of "do I drink too much" as no different than questioning if you do anything too much.

There are all sorts of vices in this world that are ok if you don't let them get out of control. And if you do decide you want something in your life, but less of it, you shouldn't be staring down the barrel of an "all or nothing" type decision.

Just because you're overweight and want to get in shape doesn't mean you have to decide to never eat cake again.
If alcoholics could just have a beer or two and stop they wouldn't be alcoholics. If you're morbidly obese, hundreds of pounds overweight, you should probably consider just dropping the cake completely since you obviously don't have the self control required.

orrfloor

Apr 6, 2015

...GOOD ANSWER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljRzqJSx8Wg

POLITICALLY CORRECT B.S.....

Last edited:

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
If alcoholics could just have a beer or two and stop they wouldn't be alcoholics. If you're morbidly obese, hundreds of pounds overweight, you should probably consider just dropping the cake completely since you obviously don't have the self control required.

Deciding you need to drink less doesn't make one an alcoholic. Just like being overweight and improving your diet isn't the same thing as being morbidly obese and unable to control your food intake.

People really like painting this stuff as black and white, but it just isn't.

cycloneted

Apr 19, 2006
Des Moines
I'm just glad we aren't talking about cheese.

tumblr_nbcjohK1KQ1sp7ha5o1_500.gif

AustinHawk

Dec 10, 2009
I dunno, but my body was telling me to take a couple days off after a 3 day weekend in Chicago and Kalamazoo.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron