how many schools keep a coach

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.

The best we can hope for is to get rid of a bunch of assistants.
But I'm doubtful if we'll even see that? Rhoads is pretty darn stubborn and comfy with his friends underneath him I'm afraid.
Do you pay attention to the stupid that you're typing? Good grief, I'm outta here.

Spam

May 21, 2008
This is 100% Pollard's fault and he should be held accountable for it.

CPR wasn't going anywhere and hadn't done anything to warrant an extension as long and as rich as he received. He should've learned something from the college S and E of here.

We're paying $2 million per win, so far this year.

About 18 months ago, we were paranoid that Rhoads might leave. We were determined that we needed to do everything possible to keep him in Ames. Of course, looking back now, that 10 year contract seems uncalled for. But at the time, it was probably the right thing to do. Too bad this year killed all that momentum Rhoads had built. We were, IMO, very close to moving from a poor program to an average program.

Gotta start over, now. That's what years like this do, and that's why it's so damn hard to transform a program.

Doctor

Aug 19, 2011
About 18 months ago, we were paranoid that Rhoads might leave. We were determined that we needed to do everything possible to keep him in Ames. Of course, looking back now, that 10 year contract seems uncalled for. But at the time, it was probably the right thing to do. Too bad this year killed all that momentum Rhoads had built. We were, IMO, very close to moving from a poor program to an average program.

Gotta start over, now. That's what years like this do, and that's why it's so damn hard to transform a program.

We have a lot of fans who are complete *******. Afraid of success because a coach might leave.

10 years for 2 million per is a ridiculous contract for someone like CPR. That was a hometown deal given by Jamie who is friends with him. It will prevent us from hiring a more capable coach in the future.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN

There is never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever a time to give a coach a 10 year contract.

Ever.

You take a ridiculous amount of risk and the coach has none.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
There is never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever a time to give a coach a 10 year contract.

Ever.

You take a ridiculous amount of risk and the coach has none.

I think that for coaches at any level and professional athletes as well. 3 years is ideal in my world, 5 as a stretch, but anything past that sets up for trouble.

cycloneinpdx

Jul 10, 2013
Twin Cities
We have a lot of fans who are complete *******. Afraid of success because a coach might leave.

10 years for 2 million per is a ridiculous contract for someone like CPR. That was a hometown deal given by Jamie who is friends with him. It will prevent us from hiring a more capable coach in the future.

Who exactly would you hire, and how would you get them here? Every program in a major conference in the country can offer at least what we can financially. ISU has no history. ISU is in the middle of a dead zone for recruiting, and we play against teams (OU, Texas) that can get almost any 4 or 5 star they try for. We have a passionate, but small, fan base.

Any good coach won't come here. Any young good coach won't stay here, and a lot of them may not want to risk their reputation on a place like ISU. I'm not scared of a successful coach leaving... if they're really successful. But I really don't think that terming "success" as getting to a bowl game a couple years in a row (which is all that it would require for a good, young coach to get a better offer and jump ship, in all likelihood) is any different than what we have now. At least we have some stability, and a coach that players want to play for (like Lazard, who has said that he wants to play specifically for Rhoads).

I just have a hard time believing that some hotshot young guy is going to take us to more than 6 wins in any given season, and that we could recover from their leaving in any meaningful way...finding a coach that can succeed here is hard enough, let alone doing it every 3 years. It's not sustainable to turn us in to "Head Coach U" that people jump to to get experience and jump to a better program at the first opportunity. It may seem like a good option, but it would never, ever work in execution, and we will always end up in the same position (without a coach, or with a terrible coach/terrible year, which is no better than what we have right now).

Why don't we stay with a coach that has already shown promise and a commitment to stay, and see if he can keep moving forward. After all, just look at Iowa. More than once Ferentz has had a bad year, and followed it up with 2 or 3 good ones... it's just a matter of experience on the roster. It's cyclical. Lets see if this cycle follows that pattern and we have a good next two or three seasons.

Maybe we gave Rhoads an extension too early...who knows. But we can't change that, and firing him, handcuffing us to his salary plus whoever else we hire (who is surely inexperienced/not a top level coach) is not better than what we have now.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Well we Keep McCarney for 12 Years

McCarney had a very long leash with only had a couple really good years. He had another 3-4 years like what we've experienced under CPR and he had another 5-6 years like we've experienced the last two weeks.

I think CPR is a good coach, but I think he need to step back and re-evaluate some of his coaches. I also think he needs to look at his recruiting.

Klonz

Nov 9, 2006
Grimes, IA
We need to end home and home games, have 7 home games per year, dump UNI and pay whatever it takes to play easier teams. No excuse to play our schedule. Conference is too difficult. No way we should EVER have a home and home with a Tulsa, San Jose St, etc... we need wins in non-conf to deal with the ultra difficult conference. Scheduling 101. Have you seen Alabama's non-conf schedule? Most every SEC and Big 10 schools non-conf???

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
We need to end home and home games, have 7 home games per year, dump UNI and pay whatever it takes to play easier teams. No excuse to play our schedule. Conference is too difficult. No way we should EVER have a home and home with a Tulsa, San Jose St, etc... we need wins in non-conf to deal with the ultra difficult conference. Scheduling 101. Have you seen Alabama's non-conf schedule? Most every SEC and Big 10 schools non-conf???
And how many Big 10 or SEC schools have a smaller budget than ISU? Maybe 3? Maybe?

We should close up shop on the football program if we're scared of playing ******* UNI.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Not many. We are a cellar dweller in college football for the most part. We hold one of the worst winning percentages in Division 1, so you tend to give your coach a little more leeway when your "Golden Age" of football took place over 30 years ago and lasted about 3 seasons.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
And how many Big 10 or SEC schools have a smaller budget than ISU? Maybe 3? Maybe?

We should close up shop on the football program if we're scared of playing ******* UNI.

Probably none actually. I guess I haven't looked at the SEC and B1G contracts recently, and I know we caught up with them on our recent TV deal, but I'm sure in the next 2-3 years, those conferences will take a giant leap forward $$$ and put this league back on thin ice.

Doctor

Aug 19, 2011
I think that for coaches at any level and professional athletes as well. 3 years is ideal in my world, 5 as a stretch, but anything past that sets up for trouble.

I think you give a 5-year extension pretty much every year that you're happy with him so he can recruit and tell the kids that he's under contract for 5 years, so unless I rape someone in the football office, I'll be your coach for your time at ISU, even if you RS.

10 years is just stupid for someone who has proven next to nothing as a head coach in his career.

Never won more than 3 conference games. Doubtful he'll get to that # this year or next.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
I think you give a 5-year extension pretty much every year that you're happy with him so he can recruit and tell the kids that he's under contract for 5 years, so unless I rape someone in the football office, I'll be your coach for your time at ISU, even if you RS.

10 years is just stupid for someone who has proven next to nothing as a head coach in his career.

Never won more than 3 conference games. Doubtful he'll get to that # this year or next.

I could see an annual 1-year extension that keeps a coach signed for 5 years. A 5-year extension each year we're happy with someone could get pretty crazy.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
All of them do when they are in our financial situation and still owe their coach as much as we do to Rhoads.

How many times does it need to be said that ISU cannot afford to fire Rhoads. It isn't going to happen. It can't happen. Financially, it c-a-n-n-o-t happen.

The best we can hope for is to get rid of a bunch of assistants. But I'm doubtful if we'll even see that? Rhoads is pretty darn stubborn and comfy with his friends underneath him I'm afraid.

For possibly the first time ever, I agree wholeheartedly with clonedude.

Rhoads is not getting fired this year. Just get past that thought now because it is literally impossible for us financially.

Doctor

Aug 19, 2011
I could see an annual 1-year extension that keeps a coach signed for 5 years. A 5-year extension each year we're happy with someone could get pretty crazy.

Sorry. That's what I meant. Just keep adding a year to keep him at 4 or 5, whichever you like.

That gives you the ability to be able to afford a buyout should he crap the bed, but also gets you some decent cash should another school come calling.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
Sorry. That's what I meant. Just keep adding a year to keep him at 4 or 5, whichever you like.

That gives you the ability to be able to afford a buyout should he crap the bed, but also gets you some decent cash should another school come calling.

It sounded like you meant that. This approach works for me, anyway.
As for decent cash, didn't we set up CPR's contract with a 100k buyout or something really small if he wants to move along? It might not hurt us to bargain with coaches as though we have a leg to stand on.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron