How many people donated to We Will today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Get with the program man. Being "JUST" an alum maybe buying tickets and/or donating to the AD are all just so 2021.

Because now not only will .19$ a day feed the world and save an animal........it will get Matt Campbell the offensive linemen he has always wanted.

I'm sure this entire thing is on the up......but here on CF it's become another in many **** measuring contests on who is the best fan. If it wasn't so sad it would be hilarious.
I wonder if those not donating also stand in the concourse the last few minutes of bball games? (Remember when that was a big deal....who stayed until the end vs beating traffic or other things?) Lol

• Agree
Reactions: Mr.G.Spot

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
I wonder if those not donating also stand in the concourse the last few minutes of bball games? (Remember when that was a big deal....who stayed until the end vs beating traffic or other things?) Lol

Ah......the parking lot Olympics. What an event. A Cyclone tradition.

It's a safe bet that many who donate quite a bit to the AD are some of the fastest runners you will ever see.

• Haha
Reactions: GoldCy and CapnCy

LAClone

Apr 26, 2010
Don’t “throw good money after bad”, it’s you your choice; but what are you even doing here if it’s all a lost cause that you don’t want to support? Just to complain?

we don’t have the richest or largest fan base, but we are getting beat by most P5; many of whom have smaller enrollment, alumni bases and state populations. I am not okay with that and try to do my part. The site has been filled with negativity for weeks. The requested change finally happens and when the question is asked whether fans will respond, some fans here ghost.

To your credit, you are being upfront about your position.

I'm not convinced that the current no-limit NIL environment is permanent. Eventually enforceable legislation/regulation will clamp down on it and level the playing field. At least, that's my hope. And that's why I'm not currently convinced that anyone is fighting a lost cause.

As to negativity, it has its place. I think the negative posts made by myself and others aimed at the coaching staff are deserved, given what we've seen over the last few seasons. It's ok to acknowledge that something you love is flawed -- hell, that even the structure surrounding the thing you love is flawed -- and express a desire for change (i.e., express a negative view). And expressing your opinions is one way to eventually bring about change, even if you are not or cannot simultaneously open your pocket book.

The zealots who argue that you aren't a real fan unless you open your pocket book monthly -- or that you aren't a real fan if you dare say anything negative about how the team has been coached over the past few seasons -- aren't really doing anyone any favors.

fcclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 15, 2009
I'm not convinced that the current no-limit NIL environment is permanent. Eventually enforceable legislation/regulation will clamp down on it and level the playing field. At least, that's my hope. And that's why I'm not currently convinced that anyone is fighting a lost cause.

As to negativity, it has its place. I think the negative posts made by myself and others aimed at the coaching staff are deserved, given what we've seen over the last few seasons. It's ok to acknowledge that something you love is flawed -- hell, that even the structure surrounding the thing you love is flawed -- and express a desire for change (i.e., express a negative view). And expressing your opinions is one way to eventually bring about change, even if you are not or cannot simultaneously open your pocket book.

The zealots who argue that you aren't a real fan unless you open your pocket book monthly -- or that you aren't a real fan if you dare say anything negative about how the team has been coached over the past few seasons -- aren't really doing anyone any favors.
So the people that donate to the program are bad and the people that complain about the program are helping it. That’s a fresh take I guess.

CycloneDTMom

Nov 20, 2017
Also - don't forget to set up your Amazon donations to go to We Will (as recently posted by GetAwesome).

Thank you for this suggestion. Just changed it to We Will. Wish I would have thought about this before I finished Christmas shopping!

• Winner
Reactions: aauummm

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
If you are in the position and are willing to donate to We Will Club, please do so at your earliest convenience at https://www.wewillclub.com/ . Every dollar helps Cyclone Athletics.

If you are in the position and are not willing to donate to a collective, please donate to one of the many worthwhile charitable causes listed at https://www.charities.org/charities_list or research each charity at https://www.charitynavigator.org/ . Causes exist for every need.

Either way (or ideally both ways), charitable giving is an easy and rewarding way to spread cheer and help others during the holiday season.

MisterO

Proverbs 19:11
Dec 6, 2020
Still blows my mind people got brainwashed into thinking it was the fans responsibility to pay for players to come or stay at their school. This in no way should have ever fallen to the fan. That is the reason I will never participate.
This is such nonsense. What do you mean it isn’t the fans’ responsibility…?! Everything falls on the fans- ticket prices, concessions, every little detail you see at the Jack on Saturday. Somewhere along the line, JP decided the team needed something, and somewhere along the way, a fan paid for it. Nothing is free and the fans are writing checks to give our school what it needs.

If the fans don’t pay for it, where exactly does the money come from? Do you believe the ‘non-fans’ should pay for things?

It’s part of the new landscape- you’re either all in or you ain’t.

LAClone

Apr 26, 2010
So the people that donate to the program are bad and the people that complain about the program are helping it. That’s a fresh take I guess.

No one has argued that people who donate to the program are bad. And complaining about the building being on fire is better than the alternative...

1670043811195.png

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Would you donate $20 a month to keep Breece Hall from transferring if he played in this NIL era? I think a lot of Cyclone fans would and that is a similar situation we are in with trying to keep our best players.
This is probably my biggest complaint- the fans being held hostage while schools and coaches take in millions. It’s ridiculous. I don’t think the current model is sustainable.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Couldn't be further from the truth. I've given as much time, money, and energy towards ISU Athletics over the past 20 years as anybody. I want nothing but the absolute best and anybody that even questions that has a 180 degree wrong view of me. Not even counting ISU directed giving, on CF alone I spent on average over $20K a year running this place with no revenue all while my wife and I were living in an 800 sf house with our first big person jobs and trying to raise a baby living paycheck to paycheck. I've never posted that because people have never been stupid enough to question my loyalty.

I'm not pessimistic at all, but I'm also not a hype guy. I know the numbers, talk to the players, know what the offers are coming in at, and understand where we are in relative terms. Yes, I will point out that right now ISU is dead last in the Big 12 in giving of every kind, but I have also pointed out more times than that how we battle it with other means as best we can. This year will be a good example where fan support, defensive system, culture, and whatnot will keep us competitive even when our top offer will be around 25-30K up against offers of 150-200K.

I've convinced a lot of people to donate either to the AD or WWC, but I'm not going to brag about it each time on here.
Share some of the optimistic side then, all I’ve seen from you recently is negative. Maybe I’m missing the optimism, I certainly don’t catch every post. Anyone could troll tire cyclones with what the site founder has been posting recently. I find it hard to believe you don’t hear some good things.

You went to bat pimping the site here and man stepped up. Would everyone be as good with these same people telling us not to buy premium?
Full transparency - nobody asked me to write this, and in fact nobody even knows I'm writing this (surprise Chris:jimlad:)...

When I created this site almost 15 years ago, it's sole focus and intent was to give Cyclone fans a place to call home that didn't require paying multi-national companies like Rivals and Scout. Without any sort of revenue structure but a couple dollars here or there from donations (and a couple CF branded thong sales), and ever increasing hosting costs, it was simply a message board with frequent articles, news nuggets, and editorials about the inner-workings at ISU. Within a year, we grew to become one of the biggest web properties hosted in Iowa - and it only continued from there.

We had (and still have) an incredible set of moderators dedicating hundreds, and now thousands, of hours of their lives to help keep things community-oriented. And of course, we had (and still have) an ever growing base of Fanatics making it our home. Looking back, it always amazes me what we all built together - and how many people helped me learn and grow along the way. Outside of my family, it's what I take the most pride in from the past 38 years.

There came a point when Rhonda and I wanted to start having kids that I knew I wouldn't be able to give the same amount of energy or financial support to keeping this place the amazing community it had become. Enter Chris and team; not only did they promise to keep CF what it had always stood for, but they committed to introducing new content and access that I wasn't able to do as a 30-40 hr/wk hobby alongside my professional career.

Chris and others built a first-rate team that helped make CF more than just a community - it was always an awesome community - they added an entire media wing with full time employees. With that expansion came the cost of supporting employees, their families, equipment, travel, etc. They knew it would take a ton of work, a strong fanbase, and good advertising dollars to make it work. And it did, very well.

Then hit 2020 - what was looking to be the most promising of years turned into the ****-show we've all come to know it as. While every day brings a new challenge in our personal, professional, and family lives - it has also created an apocalyptic scenario for many news organizations, media outlets, and others dependent on ad revenue. With so much uncertainty in the world, that doesn't look to change well into next year, at the earliest. And sadly, the vast majority of what is disappearing simply won't ever return. With limited fans in the stands over the next 6 months, local ad revenue has also dried up.

So while I've purposely tried to stay under the radar for the past several years since handing over the reigns, though remain glued to the site, I wanted to take a few minutes to reminisce about how we got to where we are and how we as a community have an opportunity to say thank you to each-other, and most importantly, to the current team that runs CF.

While many have been hit hard by Covid-19 and the wide-range of impacts it's had (40 million+ unemployed, 160K+ dead, and the untold mental toll on all of us), there are some that have been fortunate to not be impacted financially. If you haven't been impacted financially, now is a great time to help make sure others aren't as well by giving back to the CycloneFanatic community and supporting the site.

If you enjoy the content or contributions of Chris, Brent, Jared, Rob, Jacqueline, Jay, Steph, Alisa, Connor, Kevin, Jeff, and Kirk - there has never been a more critical time to help ensure they and the site can continue to be so amazing. If you can, please strongly consider jumping onto the Super Fanatic premium tier, it starts at only $4.99/mo. If you can, the level 2 tier ($11.99/mo) would be tremendously beneficial to helping support this community as there are many who simply can't afford anything at this time.

Please, if you can, don't hesitate - subscribe before leaving this page. Not to mention, there are perks of being a subscriber beyond just keeping the site thriving:)

Subscribe Now

View attachment 74272

MisterO

Proverbs 19:11
Dec 6, 2020
I hope the people who don’t agree with NIL (I get it) donate to the AD at least.
I hope the people who believe their moral code will be shattered by donating to NIL rush out and join the hok NIL tomorrow….they need more donations like yours today!

fcclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 15, 2009
No one has argued that people who donate to the program are bad. And complaining about the building being on fire is better than the alternative...

View attachment 106278
I am not going to disagree that pointing out problems in the fb program is necessarily a bad thing. Just not my thing. I am a fan and just not close enough to be an insider to what is going on behind the scene.

But, to insert yourself in a conversation dedicated to the We Will Collective and then complain that you are being hounded for money seems a bit overboard.

rickyrudd

Oct 10, 2010
The Director of the Iowa NIL was openly boasting today on KXNO that they have raised $3M with goals of $10M and that’s right here in Iowa. I don’t love the direction either, but if you spend this much time invested in the Cyclones on this message board, this is a direct way YOU can make a difference going forward. We are nowhere near $3M to be candid. Yet, some would rather advertise that they don’t want to help. If you won‘t, who will?
Didn’t i read on here that you all thought a really good solution was collecting cans after tailgates?
You only need sixty million cans to get there. Good luck!

Apr 19, 2006
I give a little to specific stuff. When I heard on the podcast about Isaiah lee I donated to him and his little sister. If that’s what our money can go to, I’m willing to give a little more
I am unaware of the Isaiah Lee situation. Is there somewhere to still donate to help him and his sister out?

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
This is such nonsense. What do you mean it isn’t the fans’ responsibility…?! Everything falls on the fans- ticket prices, concessions, every little detail you see at the Jack on Saturday. Somewhere along the line, JP decided the team needed something, and somewhere along the way, a fan paid for it. Nothing is free and the fans are writing checks to give our school what it needs.

If the fans don’t pay for it, where exactly does the money come from? Do you believe the ‘non-fans’ should pay for things?

Umm why are the players now getting paid? Because college sports makes too much money… Agreed pay the players. But with what money?!? College sports doesn’t have enough money fans, you HAVE to step up!

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012

How does the NFL, NBA, MLB do it? Corporate sponsors, licensing, merchandise sales. They don’t ask their fans to just write checks. Iowa State isn’t my life. Do I hope they do well? Yea, but I’m not going to just give blindly to these collectives. I can’t justify that at all.

Nycclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 24, 2010
The Director of the Iowa NIL was openly boasting today on KXNO that they have raised $3M with goals of $10M and that’s right here in Iowa. I don’t love the direction either, but if you spend this much time invested in the Cyclones on this message board, this is a direct way YOU can make a difference going forward. We are nowhere near $3M to be candid. Yet, some would rather advertise that they don’t want to help. If you won‘t, who will?

Accept that this is the new reality and jump on board. Bragging about not giving is the same as acting excited that we lost 62-14.

Nycclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 24, 2010
How does the NFL, NBA, MLB do it? Corporate sponsors, licensing, merchandise sales. They don’t ask their fans to just write checks. Iowa State isn’t my life. Do I hope they do well? Yea, but I’m not going to just give blindly to these collectives. I can’t justify that at all.
Iowa state asks you to give thousands for season tickets/donations. If everyone who bought season tickets set aside an extra 100 for the collective, the collective would have more than enough to pay players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron