How does Iowa's Situation affect ISU recruiting?

ISUCyclone06

Oct 31, 2010
Greensboro, NC
Very interesting points coming from this thread. I think parents are the driving force behind what college their kids commit to, and I would like to believe thier parents don't want them around that type of program.

However, I don't believe ISU is after a lot of the same kids and pride themselves on character more so than others. Granted we still have our bad apples, and maybe its more of the community that gets the kids caught up in things. IDK either way I got to believe there are negatives for Iowa recruiting.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Won't affect anything. Too much booster money and vested interest from donors to let them fail. KF can spin this as he is a saint because he is trying to help out these troubled young people. Then he can continue to have a team full of thugs. Just like Mr.Snyder at K-thugState.

What are you talking about? K-State hasn't had an unusual amount of discipline problems during Snyder's years as head coach. In reality he runs a pretty tight ship for a college coach. They've certainly had fewer incidents than Kansas or Missouri.

twa5786

Feb 21, 2007
USA
I find this kind of funny really. I was listening to local sports radio a couple of weeks ago, maybe a month, Boers and Bernstein on Chicago 670, and one of the guys was trying to think of a college coach he'd let his kid play for. "They are all bad people" was I believe his quote. Then as he thought about it, Kirk Ferentz came to his mind as one of the good guys, a guy he would let his kid play for. I understand this is Big 10 country, but there are more than a few coaches I could think of. and to be honest, maybe Iowa just doesn't hide it very well, but I can't think of another program over the last 10 years that has had as many really bad offenses as some of the Iowa players have had. Yeah, every program has it's bad eggs for sure. But some of the stuff coming out of Iowa City has really surprised me.

And I guess this kind of leads me to the point of the post, which is No, I don't think it will affect the Hawkeyes at all. As djcubby stated. Ferentz is just able to put a nice spin on things. Enough so that the media doesn't even see what's been going on out there. He's considered on of the good guys running a good clean program.

If I had kids, they'd be playing for Pat Fitzgerald at Northwestern. Rhoads seems like a great guy to play for, too.

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
If a kid grew up in a Hawkeye family, he and the parents are going to be blind to it all. They're going there no matter what.
This. I grew up in a Hawk family in CR. I tried giving them grief back when Ferentz was having all of the discipline problems a couple of years ago and all my family would say was "that type of thing happens at every school." They knew what was going on but completely ignored it.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I googled Kirk Ferentz to see all the past troubles they've had in IC. I got to a Michigan message board from back when they hired RichRod, and they were discussing ol'Kirk. They basically all came to the conclusion that Kirk wasn't up to their image of being clean. So I guess people were starting to get it that he was dirty back then. After this fiasco you have to wonder if he'll finally get that "dirty-coach" label.

Honestly, I'm not sure I would label KF as a "dirty coach". He just tends to look the other way and is not strict with the discipline. It is a vicious cycle. It seemed to work ok with them until they started getting the higher caliber players. They got players with a sense of entitlement and loose discipline is the opposite of what they need. The party school atmosphere at Iowa encourages the players who have "god-like" status to test the limits. Now you have a deep seeded discipline problem.

It doesn't make KF dirty, he's not cheating to get the players. He is just too soft on them when they get busted.

The ICPD/courts don't help when they decide not to throw the book at the players or let them defer their judgment till the end of the season either.

KF isn't a saint either though and you can't exactly call the Iowa program clean. KF is taking shortcuts and has obviously not make character a priority in his recruiting.

Last edited:

ISUCyclone06

Oct 31, 2010
Greensboro, NC
What, exactly, is Iowa's "situation," and how is it any different than the situation over the last 5 years?
Seriously? Come on Man! All this stuff may have been going on for 5 plus years however it wasn't mainstream media. The past problems and arrests were mainly alcohol. Many people do not care about those kinds of arrest as most everybody consumes it themselves. Marijuana is much the same most people that don't use can careless if others do. This is Cocaine, and pills stronger than Morphine...and includes dealing...this is big no matter which way you slice it.

driegner

Jun 9, 2010
Columbus, OH
Seriously? Come on Man! All this stuff may have been going on for 5 plus years however it wasn't mainstream media. The past problems and arrests were mainly alcohol. Many people do not care about those kinds of arrest as most everybody consumes it themselves. Marijuana is much the same most people that don't use can careless if others do. This is Cocaine, and pills stronger than Morphine...and includes dealing...this is big no matter which way you slice it.

Sorry, I still don't understand. How is DJK acting like an entitled NFL player a little early cause a "situation" at Iowa?

There is no "situation" at Iowa. DJK is gone, Robinson is suspended. End of story. I just don't see a difference between this and the numerous other PR gaffes at UI.

ISUCyclone06

Oct 31, 2010
Greensboro, NC
There's no denying a situation...A player is involved in dealing of drugs....That is a situation. Players leaving in the midst of all of it is a situation. Maybe this is all that will come out but there's more than what meets the medias eyes.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Iowa needs more than 85 schollies to keep up the replacement program. Just like our McD bball team.

Reactions: Go2Guy

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
If a kid grew up in a Hawkeye family, he and the parents are going to be blind to it all. They're going there no matter what.

This. I grew up in a Hawk family in CR. I tried giving them grief back when Ferentz was having all of the discipline problems a couple of years ago and all my family would say was "that type of thing happens at every school."

Except, of course, when it happens at Iowa State (i.e., Berryman, Kenny Pratt, Sam Mack).

Oh, the hypocrisy.

nileo

Apr 29, 2010
Grimes
Now that the presser is over, I think it's obvious this will not affect ISU recruiting. As one poster said, this state is 75% Hawkeye. That won't change. People aren't going to change their 'team' b/c of this.

dfwcy

Oct 20, 2008
There's no denying a situation...A player is involved in dealing of drugs....That is a situation. Players leaving in the midst of all of it is a situation. Maybe this is all that will come out but there's more than what meets the medias eyes.

Which player was dealing drugs?

Link?

simesclone

Feb 18, 2010
And I guess this kind of leads me to the point of the post, which is No, I don't think it will affect the Hawkeyes at all. As djcubby stated. Ferentz is just able to put a nice spin on things. Enough so that the media doesn't even see what's been going on out there. He's considered on of the good guys running a good clean program.[/QUOTE]
I used to like Ferentz because he seemed like a good guy. I still hated iowa football, but I liked him. Over the years of watching him (particulary at the press conference yesterday) he looks like he knows alot more than he will ever admit to. I think he's dirty.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
In a week no one will even remember this happened and Iowa will keep doing the same thing they always do.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
I watched video of press conference I was amused/amazed. Ferentz either lied a lot or is totally disconnected from his players.

When asked about cause of post-game fight in locker room. "I don't know". What kind of coach is aware of that and does not look into it?

There are 26 people on the Iowa football staff and nobody knows anything?!?!?!

ISUCyclone06

Oct 31, 2010
Greensboro, NC
Ignorance is the best excuse in these situations. There seems to be a lot of ignorant fans out there as well. DJK is known to live in a drug house, high traffic, dealing going on. Was he selling...more than likely.

Ferentz has used the ignorant stance many times....his own son lived in low income housing and he claims he didn't know. But you can't really prove ignorance easily. Heck Ferentz could have been involved in all of it (either advance notice on drug tests, or using/getting drugs from players) for what we know. The whole story will never be out.

I hope kids parents keep this in there mind when choosing a school for their kids to attend.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Ignorance is the best excuse in these situations. There seems to be a lot of ignorant fans out there as well. DJK is known to live in a drug house, high traffic, dealing going on. Was he selling...more than likely.

Ferentz has used the ignorant stance many times....his own son lived in low income housing and he claims he didn't know. But you can't really prove ignorance easily. Heck Ferentz could have been involved in all of it (either advance notice on drug tests, or using/getting drugs from players) for what we know. The whole story will never be out.

I hope kids parents keep this in there mind when choosing a school for their kids to attend.

Picture Kirk Ferentz playing Sgt. Schultz of Hogan's Heroes.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34ag4nkSh7Q]YouTube - I See Nothing - Sgt Schultz[/ame]

clonestar12

May 16, 2006
Texas
Any thoughts on the impact of the Iowa City situation will have on ISU recruiting. Are there many kids choosing between Iowa and Iowa State? I got to believe Rhoads and company are spinning this to their benefit.

I believe it will open a few eyes of recruits. I am aware of one young man who will most likely choose ISU over Iowa.