How does Iowa's Situation affect ISU recruiting?

ISUCyclone06

Oct 31, 2010
Greensboro, NC
Any thoughts on the impact of the Iowa City situation will have on ISU recruiting. Are there many kids choosing between Iowa and Iowa State? I got to believe Rhoads and company are spinning this to their benefit.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I bet there's less of a situation than being rumored.

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
At this point in time, it doesn't. Ferentz can spin it as a couple of bad eggs (Arob and DJKilo) that have been taken care of and Hampton leaving because of too many injuries.

Unless something breaks this morning at the presser, it's business as usual over in IC.

On a side note, the lack of discipline may encourage some kids to play for Iowa. Be and act as stupid as you want to be and you will only miss a game or two, if that. And most likely it will be a pre-season game against Western Nobody.

kgreeny

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
19 players in 13 months being wrongly accused by the ICPD didn't seem to hurt them at all. Why would this?

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
Iowa has written the book on brushing problems under the rug. KF will work his magic, and this will all be forgotten as long as he keeps winning.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
Iowa has written the book on brushing problems under the rug. KF will work his magic, and this will all be forgotten as long as he keeps winning.

5 or more losses 4 of the last 6 years isn't exactly killing it.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
5 or more losses 4 of the last 6 years isn't exactly killing it.

This. Its a pattern.

However, if a kid has always loved Iowa, he will go to Iowa regardless of issues. Its their best recruiting tool. ISU is a hard sway to kids raised hawkeye.

chrishull14

Jan 31, 2007
Cyclone City
The bottom line is: this state is still 75% hawkeye. As long as the politicians, business leaders, media, administrators, teachers, coaches, grandparents, parents, teammates, friends, etc. are hawk fans...stuff like this will not have much influence. I am not talking about some huge conspiracy. It is simply human nature. Nobody wants to talk about their problems. I would much rather hash out someone else's issues than mine. It is just basic numbers. There was a lot more publicity and outcry when ISU tried to hire a counselor to HELP their student athletes than there ever will be about transgressions at iowa.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Probably won't affect ISU recruiting whatsoever. People were thinking the same way after Iowa had like 20-some players arrested in a year, that it would have a big affect and help ISU head-to-head. It had no measurable affect whatsoever. Neither will this.

HawkFanISUalum

May 17, 2009
Iowa City, IA
I think it could affect it one of 3 ways:

1) It might scare some kids off, or scare their parents off, who many sway their kids away from Iowa.

2) It may do nothing.

3) It may make some kids want to come to Iowa more if they see their desired position now has open slots, and they want to see early playing time.

I guess it all depends on what really happened, what, if any punishment/sanctions there will be, and what each kids' beliefs are.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
I find this kind of funny really. I was listening to local sports radio a couple of weeks ago, maybe a month, Boers and Bernstein on Chicago 670, and one of the guys was trying to think of a college coach he'd let his kid play for. "They are all bad people" was I believe his quote. Then as he thought about it, Kirk Ferentz came to his mind as one of the good guys, a guy he would let his kid play for. I understand this is Big 10 country, but there are more than a few coaches I could think of. and to be honest, maybe Iowa just doesn't hide it very well, but I can't think of another program over the last 10 years that has had as many really bad offenses as some of the Iowa players have had. Yeah, every program has it's bad eggs for sure. But some of the stuff coming out of Iowa City has really surprised me.

And I guess this kind of leads me to the point of the post, which is No, I don't think it will affect the Hawkeyes at all. As djcubby stated. Ferentz is just able to put a nice spin on things. Enough so that the media doesn't even see what's been going on out there. He's considered on of the good guys running a good clean program.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
One possible scenario that could help ISU is this:
Captain Kirk may try to, or be forced to, toughen up his discipline. Things previously handled internally may have tougher punishments than before. A sudden change could cause more unrest in the locker room and team chemistry may be damaged. Iowa has the reputation of a party school and if future recruits find out that they are cracking down, they may look elsewhere, but not necessarily ISU.

Now this scenario only occurs if the Iowa administration and KF admit to themselves that there is any problem and take measures to solve the problem.

It sounds bad, but anything that hurts Iowa has a benefit to ISU.

Yes13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
I googled Kirk Ferentz to see all the past troubles they've had in IC. I got to a Michigan message board from back when they hired RichRod, and they were discussing ol'Kirk. They basically all came to the conclusion that Kirk wasn't up to their image of being clean. So I guess people were starting to get it that he was dirty back then. After this fiasco you have to wonder if he'll finally get that "dirty-coach" label.

BeTheCyclone

Oct 19, 2010
Won't affect anything. Too much booster money and vested interest from donors to let them fail. KF can spin this as he is a saint because he is trying to help out these troubled young people. Then he can continue to have a team full of thugs. Just like Mr.Snyder at K-thugState.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
I googled Kirk Ferentz to see all the past troubles they've had in IC. I got to a Michigan message board from back when they hired RichRod, and they were discussing ol'Kirk. They basically all came to the conclusion that Kirk wasn't up to their image of being clean. So I guess people were starting to get it that he was dirty back then. After this fiasco you have to wonder if he'll finally get that "dirty-coach" label.

Yeah, because Michigan with DickRod is a much cleaner program.

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010
Any thoughts on the impact of the Iowa City situation will have on ISU recruiting. Are there many kids choosing between Iowa and Iowa State? I got to believe Rhoads and company are spinning this to their benefit.

If a kid grew up in a Hawkeye family, he and the parents are going to be blind to it all. They're going there no matter what.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron