Homeowner's Property Value

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Willingly and unnecessarily letting the assessor know about your interior construction project is dumb. They will want to come back to see the finished product and raise your assessed value based on the re-model. They won't dock you for being in a temporary mess due to a re-model.

You are just asking for an assessment increase.

Not to mention that they will find a few permits that you have probably neglected to purchase.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
Up 22k. Our assessent is still way under if we were to sell today, but c'mon.

AmesHawk

Apr 20, 2010
Ankeny, IA
Willingly and unnecessarily letting the assessor know about your interior construction project is dumb. They will want to come back to see the finished product and raise your assessed value based on the re-model. They won't dock you for being in a temporary mess due to a re-model.

You are just asking for an assessment increase.
Good points.

• Agree
Reactions: Gorm

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Non-sequitur. 0% of property taxes goes to the state.

It may not go directly to the state of Iowa, but it doesn't go to another state, right? It funds local maintenance and other various programs. The programs and maintenance it does pay for will probably need more or less funding from the state and fed based on property tax, correct?

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
Property taxes fund: county/city government, school districts, your ag council, county hospital, community colleges, your local assessor office and some other odds and ends.

The only things jointly funded by the state and property taxes are schools and community colleges.

Statewide, the increase in your taxable value is limited to 3%. They were going to get 3% any way as residential taxable value is rolled back to 59% anyway.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames
To have them come I think it may cost you around $500 get an appraisal. That's what it cost here in Ames.
No, it doesn't cost anything for the city or county assessor to come to your house. The appraisal cost is if you wanted to refinance with your bank.

• Agree
Reactions: JP4CY

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Anybody have experience fighting this type of increase? We just purchased a home last year and it went up 20% from last year. However, it still 12% lower than we paid for it.

o_O

I'm in the same boat. Just bought a house last July, and ours went up almost 20% as well, now valued over 10k more than we paid for it. wtf.

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames
Anybody have experience fighting this type of increase? We just purchased a home last year and it went up 20% from last year. However, it still 12% lower than we paid for it.

o_O
Sorry, you have no reason to complain. Residential values are based on market value. Sounds like yours needed to increase.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

o_O

So, you either got a great deal or your house is still under-assessed and you should expect another increase next year.

BCoffClone125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
Real estate noobie here, but I've owned my home for almost 3 years now and this is the first time this has happened to me (went up about 6% this week) and I'm trying to figure out what this means.

Is this is a bad thing for most homeowners just because property taxes go up? My initial thought was it might be a positive because the market value would be higher when we decide to sell, but does this essentially get offset by the extra taxes you will pay?

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
Our house value went up in CR, but not by nearly as much (we aren't in a part of CR that's growing like crazy).

I expect that metros are balancing out the loss of value and shrinking of the more rural and sub 50,000 areas that are losing population.

• Disagree
Reactions: aauummm

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Ours went up about 6% (in Johnston) to ~$178,000, but identical houses on my street are selling for $210,000 minimum.

Part of that discrepancy appears to be that Polk county doesn't know our basement is finished. I don't have any sort of legal obligation to tell them that the previous owner had it finished, do I?

Schfinkter

Dec 3, 2008
Dandy's House
Ours went up $37,000 this year! It is now $25,000 more than what I paid for it 2 1/2 years ago. None of my neighbors went up more than $2,000 so not sure what the deal is.

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
Ours went up about 6% (in Johnston) to ~$178,000, but identical houses on my street are selling for $210,000 minimum.

Part of that discrepancy appears to be that Polk county doesn't know our basement is finished. I don't have any sort of legal obligation to tell them that the previous owner had it finished, do I?

How did the appraisal when you bought the house not account for the finished basement?

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
The only issue I have is that they are basing the increase off of a "sellers market." You can bet your *** that if the bubble bursts and values plummet again Polk County won't be reducing my assessed value by 20% in one shot like they just did with the increase.

• Agree
Reactions: AmesHawk

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I think it's more a response to decreasing farmland values. The state has to make up the difference somewhere.

The multi-family assessment rollback is more likely. Farmers already get a big break on land taxes. Those communities like Ames are going to be hardest hit because of how many large apartment buildings they have.

• Agree
Reactions: larry