Help me understand

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
It pretty clear how this is going to go. The problem is so wide spread that the NCAA will "punish everyone" and in essence punish no one. Business as usual after that. I mean, it really isn't news that NCAA recruiting is slimy. So now there is proof. We have all seen the smoke for years. I guess we now are starting to see the actual flames.

• Agree
Reactions: ArgentCy

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
It pretty clear how this is going to go. The problem is so wide spread that the NCAA will "punish everyone" and in essence punish no one. Business as usual after that. I mean, it really isn't news that NCAA recruiting is slimy. So now there is proof. We have all seen the smoke for years. I guess we now are starting to see the actual flames.

I suspect they will change some rules. For example, I'm going to bet that the rules for players meeting and signing with agents is going to change to be more in line with how it is for college baseball and hockey. There's sort of a double standard there, anyway, that's just begging for someone to test with a lawsuit. I'm guessing the NCAA will try to head that off at the pass.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
The guys have played all year. If the NCAA rules that they were ineligible, then the whole season will likely be vacated anyway, so it doesn't really matter if the guys play or not.

That's most likely the MSU, Duke, and Arizona approach, but why would Texas decide to now sit Davis?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
because basically everything that has been reported thusfar is still "alleged."

And I can see it staying 'alleged' until at least the NCAA tourney gets done.

I'm not convinced that just because the FBI's involved, that the politics/money aspect isn't still going to play a big part at least short term.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
And I can see it staying 'alleged' until at least the NCAA tourney gets done.

I'm not convinced that just because the FBI's involved, that the politics/money aspect isn't still going to play a big part at least short term.

Sadly, you're probably right. The NCAA doesn't want anything getting in the way of the tournament, which is their sacred cash cow. They own the broadcasting rights, and make just shy of a billion dollars off of it every year. They will protect it at all costs.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Feels to me like it's basically a warning that officials really are watching for this kind of thing and could come down hard if they wanted to.

But are they really going to do away with someone like Coach K if it came up?

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Help me understand how all these players implicated in the Dawkins expense reports are still playing? Last night I read the NCCA cleared these players after 'internal' investigations at the universities.

Also, how can the talking heads on ESPN be so incredulous to the situation? I heard one comment that 'it was only a meal' that Dawkins paid for. Oh, how far we have come since ISU got everything but the death penalty for a meal at McDonald's and a ride to the airport in the '80s.
Because the list is part of an investigation by the FBI, not the ncaa. The ncaa would need to investigate on thier own. Names on a list dont mean that a violation happened, just that they probably happened. To punish, the ncaa would have to investigate and prove that violations actually happened.

Let's put it this way...if you found a list in a filing cabinet that said "people who stole money", should the people on that list be arrested based solely on being on that list? No, obviously not.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
I can see this going one of two ways. The first is that the NCAA goes full Chuck Norris on the schools, levying penalties and suspensions on all involved. The other way is that the NCAA goes the other direction, allowing players to get agents in high school, athletes to move freely between schools, etc. In other words, it becomes a bidding war for the top kids, but they get paid. Honestly not sure which direction the NCAA goes...
What if it goes a third possible way and Clifton is just a giant liar and bleep talker who conned his employer like he conned everyone else and was really just pocketing most of the money he allegedly loaned to all these players?

Rushing to the judgement and punishment phase prior to investigating rarely ends well.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Translation, the NCAA is three weeks away from the tournament where they collected a ~$6 Billion dollar paycheck. No way in heck they are doing anything now.

It is also just the very beginning of the situation. It wouldn't be fair or logical to start handing out partial punishments here and there. They are in a HUUUUUGEEE mess.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Translation, the NCAA is three weeks away from the tournament where they collected a ~$6 Billion dollar paycheck. No way in heck they are doing anything now.

It is also just the very beginning of the situation. It wouldn't be fair or logical to start handing out partial punishments here and there. They are in a HUUUUUGEEE mess.
You're about $5 Billion too high, but there's no doubt that the NCAA doesn't want anything interfering with the NCAA tournament. Not when they get such a huge percentage of their yearly revenue from it.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015

The ncaa investigative unit is slow and terrible at their job. If they started today it would take them 2 years to sort this out. The tourney starts in 2 weeks. No giant conspiracy needed to prevent a ruling by tourney time.

• Agree
Reactions: 3GenClone

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
The one thing that might be different in this case, though, is that this is the FBI investigating, not the NCAA. The FBI has significantly more power than the NCAA to access financial records and such, so it's possible that the proof of taking the benefit will be found. Additionally, they've got wiretaps which could provide additional proof, and if the FBI gets someone to flip, there may be even more corroborating evidence. If this were just an NCAA investigation, I would have little faith that anything would come of it. But the FBI is a whole different matter entirely. All bets are off.

Yeah, much harder to hide a $100k payment from the FBI. The NCAA would have no way to verify that something like that happened.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
The guys have played all year. If the NCAA rules that they were ineligible, then the whole season will likely be vacated anyway, so it doesn't really matter if the guys play or not.

One counter-point to this. It doesn't matter to the teams that have to vacate the wins, but it could matter to the team that lost to a team using ineligible players.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
The ncaa investigative unit is slow and terrible at their job. If they started today it would take them 2 years to sort this out. The tourney starts in 2 weeks. No giant conspiracy needed to prevent a ruling by tourney time.

Of course they are slow and terrible, however, if they don't ever punish anyone before the games happen then the whole "vacating" wins makes any punishment a joke. We just need to design a whole new system in the next 7 years and dissolve the collusion known as the NCAA.

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006

Sounds like a statement from a fanbase that is thankful for that.

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006
The one thing that might be different in this case, though, is that this is the FBI investigating, not the NCAA. The FBI has significantly more power than the NCAA to access financial records and such, so it's possible that the proof of taking the benefit will be found. Additionally, they've got wiretaps which could provide additional proof, and if the FBI gets someone to flip, there may be even more corroborating evidence. If this were just an NCAA investigation, I would have little faith that anything would come of it. But the FBI is a whole different matter entirely. All bets are off.

It's not even close.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
Sadly, you're probably right. The NCAA doesn't want anything getting in the way of the tournament, which is their sacred cash cow. They own the broadcasting rights, and make just shy of a billion dollars off of it every year. They will protect it at all costs.

It's basically the only money maker they have.