Help! I'm Fat - *** Official Exercise and Weight Thread ***

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
My wife did a curbside grocery pickup from WalMart this afternoon for the first time in several months. We got all my normal healthy stuff - tuna, broccoli, celery, etc - and they also accidentally gave us FOUR FULL SIZE CHEESECAKES. AND TOLD US TO KEEP THEM. This is not good. Not good at all. :D

Honestly since I'm doing keto cheesecake isn't the worst thing in the world since it's relatively low carb and high fat. Still, there's a reason we try to not have that stuff in the house.

If I eat something like that (it happened a few times this summer) I tend to fast for at least a day to try to get rid of it.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I haven't been following this thread, but its too long to read though, but I do have a health related question.

I would like to loose weight, I am currently 6-6'1 in height and weight about 242 pounds. A lot of my weight is in the center of my body, stomach and chest area. My arms and legs are at a fit size I would like to keep them. My overall goal is to just have a fit body, I don't need to be showing muscles, but just fit and more slender figure. I currently do CrossFit 3 times a week and would like to run 2 times a week. My diet is quite variable in I have good and bad weeks, which I know needs to improve and am working on.

My question is, for the days in which I do my CrossFit classes, should I be drinking protein shakes? Will this help shed my fat that I carry around in my chest and belly area? Or should I skip taking protein shakes? Not sure if doing protein shakes will help, or hurt in me achieving my goal.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
I haven't been following this thread, but its too long to read though, but I do have a health related question.

I would like to loose weight, I am currently 6-6'1 in height and weight about 242 pounds. A lot of my weight is in the center of my body, stomach and chest area. My arms and legs are at a fit size I would like to keep them. My overall goal is to just have a fit body, I don't need to be showing muscles, but just fit and more slender figure. I currently do CrossFit 3 times a week and would like to run 2 times a week. My diet is quite variable in I have good and bad weeks, which I know needs to improve and am working on.

My question is, for the days in which I do my CrossFit classes, should I be drinking protein shakes? Will this help shed my fat that I carry around in my chest and belly area? Or should I skip taking protein shakes? Not sure if doing protein shakes will help, or hurt in me achieving my goal.
For fat loss, it really is "calories in calories out." You have to eat less than you burn, and you can’t out-exercise a bad diet.

If you want to minimize muscle/strength losses, you'll want to get about 1g protein per kg of lean body mass. Once you hit that, anything extra is wasted. Protein is 4 calories per gram (carbs are also 4, alcohol is 7 and fat is 9). Once you figure out how many protein calories you need, you can figure out how much room you have left before going into surplus. You can divide that amount however you want, so long as you're meeting all your other dietary needs (essential vitamins/minerals). Play around with things, giving yourself a couple weeks for potential changes to show up before making any changes. Try to find something that is sustainable. For me that was low carb, but that's not for everyone. Bottom line is you have to figure out how to consistently achieve your goals.

• Informative
Reactions: SCNCY

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Looking for recommendations for gym day passes in Ames. The cheaper the better. I have a garage gym so I don’t need anything fancy - a squat rack and bench is all I'm used to. I'll be in town for the OU game (10/27 - 10/31) and I want to keep up the routine I'm on. I managed to work out 3 out of 5 days during a work conference last week, so I'm nearing a month of being back on the wagon. I feel like I'm at a critical point where I've almost made it a habit, but if I skip I'll fall out of it again.

I know about Lied and Ames Racquet and Fitness. Do Beyer and/or State Gym still have anything? Are there other private places in town?

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015

Protein is good. Helps you feel full and good muscle recovery. I would definitely recommend them after a workout (or a meal heavy in protein). As Besser said the main thing for weight loss is calories in vs calories out. Obviously you want to eat a healthy diet rich in all the nutrients you need to. I think the recommendation is like a gram of protein per lb of bodyweight? You want enough protein to try and maintain muscle mass while you are cutting. Also, don't be alarmed when the scale jumps up a bit. It's normal for body weight to fluctuate. Try and weigh yourself regularly and look at the overall trend and don't worry about daily jumps in weight. The key is to try and be consistent in hitting your calorie and exercise goals (but don't be too hard on yourself if you miss occasionally!). Check out Jordan Syatt he posts a lot on social media and has a podcast. I like a lot of what he has to say and I think his advice is great for your average person that is trying just to workout and be healthy. Also, just because someone is in super good shape and tells you to do something doesn't mean they have any idea what they're talking about.

• Informative
Reactions: SCNCY

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
Protein is good. Helps you feel full and good muscle recovery. I would definitely recommend them after a workout (or a meal heavy in protein). As Besser said the main thing for weight loss is calories in vs calories out. Obviously you want to eat a healthy diet rich in all the nutrients you need to. I think the recommendation is like a gram of protein per lb of bodyweight? You want enough protein to try and maintain muscle mass while you are cutting. Also, don't be alarmed when the scale jumps up a bit. It's normal for body weight to fluctuate. Try and weigh yourself regularly and look at the overall trend and don't worry about daily jumps in weight. The key is to try and be consistent in hitting your calorie and exercise goals (but don't be too hard on yourself if you miss occasionally!). Check out Jordan Syatt he posts a lot on social media and has a podcast. I like a lot of what he has to say and I think his advice is great for your average person that is trying just to workout and be healthy. Also, just because someone is in super good shape and tells you to do something doesn't mean they have any idea what they're talking about.
I’ve always gone with 1-1.3 grams of protein per kg of body weight.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
We haven't had a kitchen for a month and a half.

My blood has to be thick with fry grease and spiked with sugar.

Having a kid and then a kitchen renovation has destroyed my gains and overall health.

Luckily winters in the Midwest are so calm and soothing that I'll get outside a lot....

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Looking for recommendations for gym day passes in Ames. The cheaper the better. I have a garage gym so I don’t need anything fancy - a squat rack and bench is all I'm used to. I'll be in town for the OU game (10/27 - 10/31) and I want to keep up the routine I'm on. I managed to work out 3 out of 5 days during a work conference last week, so I'm nearing a month of being back on the wagon. I feel like I'm at a critical point where I've almost made it a habit, but if I skip I'll fall out of it again.

I know about Lied and Ames Racquet and Fitness. Do Beyer and/or State Gym still have anything? Are there other private places in town?
Planet Fitness at the mall. $10/ month. I just started back at Ames Fitness. I like that they have a steam room there.

Reactions: besserheimerphat

jrastrel

Apr 25, 2006
San Diego, CA
Time to bump this thread before the new year. I really enjoyed reading about all of your journeys and it really has helped me hearing your stories and tips. I was athletic when younger and then let my weight and health deteriorate a bit in my mid to late 30s. My mom visited me like a year and a half ago and she was walking 20,000 steps every day so that made me stop making excuses and motivated me to get into better shape. I am around 6' tall and was between 235-240 at that time.

I was going to run for my cardio but I guess in the last 10 years, I had forgotten how to run. My calves were exploding after just walking and running off and on for a mile and half. I ended up hiking several times a week instead of running and started working out to some dumb bell youtube workout videos to get some strength exercises going.

Over the past 9 months or so, I have added a short 10-15 minute jump rope and body weight exercise work out to start the day. During my two 15 minute work breaks, I'll go for a walk. In the evenings, I'll either go to the gym or hike or do another jump rope workout. I've been using the FitBod app and I have enjoyed it a lot. It gives recommendations on exercises for the workout and how much weight to use.

For my diet, I went from eating out probably 6 times a week to 1 time. I'm having a lot of smoothies, oven roasted chicken, kahlua pork (easy crock pot recipe) and lots of fruits and vegetables. I've been trying to cut out the snacking/sodas although this time of year is difficult with all of the work gifts of cookies, taffy, sausage/cheese filling up the break room.

I'm now around 195-200 pounds and am feeling great. I still want to tighten things up a bit more but I really am enjoying the exercises that I'm doing and I like the food that I'm eating so it seems like it can be sustainable. For all of you who might have gotten on the wrong track with your health/weight, hopefully this thread can help you like it helped me. Good luck on the journey!

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Started the year at 209, currently at 192. Try to lift 3 or 4 days a week typically, kind of got out of the habit for awhile in the fall, but have gotten back on track since November-ish. It's a lot easier to do nothing, but I feel a hell of a lot better about myself when I make the choice to do something good for myself.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Started the year at 209, currently at 192. Try to lift 3 or 4 days a week typically, kind of got out of the habit for awhile in the fall, but have gotten back on track since November-ish. It's a lot easier to do nothing, but I feel a hell of a lot better about myself when I make the choice to do something good for myself.
Fired back up the exercise about 2-3 weeks ago. Threw in a little lifting with the cardio this time. Figured fall I would lose weight but gained it instead.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Anybody have any luck with any fat burner pills this year? Placebo or otherwise. I just need a really slight edge to get over a hump/plateau I’m trying to get over right now. Not gonna tighten up the diet right now. It’s Christian Girl Cookie season.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Anybody have any luck with any fat burner pills this year? Placebo or otherwise. I just need a really slight edge to get over a hump/plateau I’m trying to get over right now. Not gonna tighten up the diet right now. It’s Christian Girl Cookie season.
I like Thermozin. Really good appetite suppresent. I was reading a lot of professional athletes use it. Hard to find sometimes.

Reactions: Gunnerclone

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I used shoveling a ton of snow and taking a long walk in the woods as an excuse to eat too much and drinking too much wine tonight. Otherwise I've been a pretty good old boy about working out and not eating too much **** for foods. Need to hit the exercise bike more regularly.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I used shoveling a ton of snow and taking a long walk in the woods as an excuse to eat too much and drinking too much wine tonight. Otherwise I've been a pretty good old boy about working out and not eating too much **** for foods. Need to hit the exercise bike more regularly.
Bought a new elliptical today. Got tired of repairing the old one. Should arrive in a week.

Reactions: besserheimerphat

clonechemist

Apr 3, 2007
Philadelphia
Any night-time exercisers here have tips for winding down and getting to sleep after a workout? I’ve finally started to find a good routine by working out after kids go to bed at 8:45 or 9PM (GOOD). But when I exercise then, I have a hard time going to sleep before midnight (BAD).

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
I am 6'tall and weigh too much(259). and walk 2 miles a day 4times a week. It just doesn't seem to come off.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron