Help! I'm Fat - *** Official Exercise and Weight Thread ***

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
My glucose level is at 113 so it is slightly elevated. I am 6’2” and weight at 225 according to my physical and blood work. Cholesterol is at 186, which has really come down the last 3-4 years from when it was 240. Doctor has challenged/asked if I could get down to 210. I have really cut out the snacking (now almonds and carrots) cut the sugar and alcohol way back, eating more veggies, limiting fried foods, and cutting carbs. Making smoothies and eating lighter meals. Still going to the gym five times a week stationary bike and lifting. If the scales are right (gym and home), I’ve lost around 6-7 lbs already.

I had my physical late January and get a recheck in late July as I am on low dose of blood pressure med.

Last edited:

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
My son is down 140 pounds. Diet only so far. He was too big to exercise now at 260. Hard to believe. Low carb diet. Quit eating take out.
I was never that big, but cutting carbs, mainly sugar, is how I got back to a normal bmi from an obese one.

Good for your son. Losing weight is the easy part of the process though. Keeping it off is hard. Very easy to go back to the habits that cause weight gain.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
This is precisely why I've come to view eating Doritos (for me, personally) to the health equivalent of smoking cigarettes.
I have to keep that stuff out of the house. I've gotten pretty good at ignoring the stuff we do keep around since it's for my wife who has some severe food intolerances and is really limited on what she can have. But I do occasionally raid my 6-year-old's snack bin - Teddy Grahams, animal Crackers, granola bars, 'Nilla Wafers, that kind of stuff.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I've watched this thread, with its arresting title, scroll by for 3+ years and just never got around to reading it, though it did nag at me just a little every time it cycled by.

Finally last spring - still having not read a single post in the thread - I decided to make a change. I didn't have a specific goal in mind - maybe 20-25 lbs, just enough to look a little better and be a little healthier. My health wasn't bad, but my habits were, and I felt like I could do better. So I launched into a fasting routine, gave up drinking for a month, and tried to curb some of the bad habits during my daily eating window. Stupidly, I didn't take any before pictures and forgot to even chart my initial weight until I was a day into it.

For me anyway, this worked. I hit 25 lbs lost almost exactly three months after I started, which included a week of vacation. I had initially planned to go for ~100 days then settle into more regular eating times with better nutrition and habits, but I found it pretty easy to maintain so I've just stayed with it. I hit 45 lbs six months after I started and stayed there since, other than re-gaining and re-losing a few holiday pounds.

I honestly don't know what my weight "should" be. I'm now in the "normal" BMI range, but to get to the midpoint of that range would require another ~15 lbs. I debate with myself whether to try to push on or just be happy with where I've landed. Even as my weight plateaued, I upped my workouts and I think I might be gaining muscle. I'm now a shade under 6'3" and a shade under 190. I'm 45 now, and I would guess I was 16 the last time I was at this weight.

Two or three weeks ago, I began reading this thread, and finally caught up to the end just tonight. It's been very inspiring and humbling to read your stories, the successes and the struggles too. And I've bookmarked a lot of the knowledge you've shared to learn more about. I wish everyone good fortune and I look forward to reading more.

Last edited:

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I've watched this thread, with its arresting title, scroll by for 3+ years and just never got around to reading it, though it did nag at me just a little every time it cycled by.

Finally last spring - still having not read a single post in the thread - I decided to make a change. I didn't have a specific goal in mind - maybe 20-25 lbs, just enough to look a little better and be a little healthier. My health wasn't bad, but my habits were, and I felt like I could do better. So I launched into a fasting routine, gave up drinking for a month, and tried to curb some of the bad habits during my daily eating window. Stupidly, I didn't take any before pictures and forgot to even chart my initial weight until I was a day into it.

For me anyway, this worked. I hit 25 lbs lost almost exactly three months after I started, which included a week of vacation. I had initially planned to go for ~100 days then settle into more regular eating times with better nutrition and habits, but I found it pretty easy to maintain so I've just stayed with it. I hit 45 lbs six months after I started and stayed there since, other re-gaining and re-losing a few holiday pounds.

I honestly don't know what my weight "should" be. I'm now in the "normal" BMI range now, but to get to the midpoint of that range would require another ~15 lbs. I debate with myself whether to try to push on or just be happy with where I've landed. Even as my weight plateaued, I upped my workouts and I think I might be gaining muscle. I'm now a shade under 6'3" and a shade under 190. I'm 45 now, and I would guess I was 16 the last time I was at this weight.

Two or three weeks ago, I began reading this thread, and finally caught up to the end just tonight. It's been very inspiring and humbling to read your stories, the successes and the struggles too. And I've bookmarked a lot of the knowledge you've shared to learn more about. I wish everyone good fortune and I look forward to reading more.

No matter what the goal is, putting a focus on something positive like good health and a good diet really can be empowering beyond the actual physical/emotional/mental benefits.

I think having the control over your own journey is a big part of it.

Reactions: Cyismymonkey

Mar 21, 2021
Processed food is poison. The 3 core ingredients are grain/flour, seed oils, sugar. Your HyVee is absolutely packed full of it. Don't eat any of it, ever. It is delicious poison. Look around, see what it has wrought. It has been a horrific experiment. Eat real food.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Processed food is poison. The 3 core ingredients are grain/flour, seed oils, sugar. Your HyVee is absolutely packed full of it. Don't eat any of it, ever. It is delicious poison. Look around, see what it has wrought. It has been a horrific experiment. Eat real food.

I've read and bookmarked a lot of your posts throughout this thread. I haven't done as deep a dive on this stuff as you have, but I've read a bit about Ludwig and a book or two by Gary Taubes. I suspect that they, and you, are largely correct.

And yet this is unattainable for most people without a total reorientation of society and our food system. If you have kids, it's almost impossible. For many of us, good enough will have to be good enough. Can't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

• Winner
Reactions: besserheimerphat

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I agree with the premise here. While my problem according to my doctor is being underweight and worried I am just becoming a frail old woman, I was like this before my war on processed foods. We are far from perfect but good enough that my husband is off statins.

We do get carry out once a week, usually the local pizza joint, which is way too much salt. I have containers of cleaned veggies in the fridge and lots of fresh fruit, which husband will grab since it is easy. I don’t bring chips or baked items I haven’t made into the house. But I do bake myself and drastically reduce or eliminate salt, especially if the recipe has baking powder. I use the sodium free baking powder in some things but it is super expensive.

I have been working on my neighbor, who has had two heart attacks at the age of 58. He was eating carry out every night, now he’s down to two nights and eating more oatmeal and fruits and vegetables. In just six months of this, his doctor cut his diabetes medication in half.

I think people will improve at least somewhat if they take manageable steps and start seeing benefits.

Reactions: NWICY and BoxsterCy

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
For many of us, good enough will have to be good enough. Can't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.
"Just a little better," applied consistently and over the long term, can make a huge difference. Figure out what you can do in your situation that is sustainable. It's different for everyone. What works for others may not work for me, and what works for me may not work for others.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
While you absolutely shouldn't over indulge in sugar and certain other processed foods and should try and eat a diet with a lot of fruits, veggies and protein I don't agree with this mentality. It can lead to a very unhealthy relationship with food. People shouldn't feel shame because they eat something they enjoy. I know a mentality like this used to make me end up binge eating when stuff like that was around and then I felt even worse. I have had to slowly learn I can enjoy any food I want but have the self control to not binge. It is easier to have this self control when 80-90% of your diet is "healthy", you get good sleep and hydration, limit alcohol and exercise a few times a week.

Cyismymonkey

Jan 1, 2013
Agreed, which is where the fitness through exercise / activity comes in. But should not necessarily be solely relied on for weight loss.
I agree. Ive been most successful loosing weight when I’ve combined counting calories with exercise, both aerobic and strength building. After the first week or so I actually kind of like the more alert active feeling of burning more calories than I’m taking in.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Just got back last night from three weeks in Mexico. Somehow managed to lose several pounds. :oops:

Okay, obviously not doing all-inclusive and not drinking that much but at best was hoping to "maintain" or not fall back too much. Did go to the resort gym three times a week and did a lot of walkabouts. The small gym was adequate. Was glad to see it had a cable pull setup because I have four exercises I do for my rotator cuff maintenance that I was able to not have to take a break from. Did have to throw in some free weight arms and chest that I have been just doing machines for. Think I'll keep a couple of those and add them to my mix now that I am home. Damn, did not think this would end up being a fitness plus three weeks.

Last edited:

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Had a terrible weekend. My wife let the kids add things to our shopping list so we ended up with cookies and Zebra Cakes and donut holes. That was AFTER she'd said they could make scotcharoos this weekend. Then running errands today she bought Girl Scout cookies.

Have to buckle down this week. On the plus side, my knee has been feeling good for two weeks so I was planning to get back to the weights tomorrow after work.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Husband buys Girl Scout cookies from any kid who asks, and I keep putting them in the blessing boxes. I guess that crap is better for the food insecure than starving but that’s a lot of not good for you food.

Someone had filled a whole shelf in one of the boxes with hotel soap and shampoo. Hit my allergies hard when I opened the box so just kind of threw in the cookies as fast as possible and closed the door.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Husband buys Girl Scout cookies from any kid who asks, and I keep putting them in the blessing boxes. I guess that crap is better for the food insecure than starving but that’s a lot of not good for you food.

Someone had filled a whole shelf in one of the boxes with hotel soap and shampoo. Hit my allergies hard when I opened the box so just kind of threw in the cookies as fast as possible and closed the door.
This is a legit question if you have a collection of hotel soaps and shampoos is it better to donate it and let the allergic people avoid it or not donate it.

My thought is donate it, but I would like someone elses opinion.