Hell of a season

Cupped

Feb 11, 2016
For me anyway, if this season were food, it was an awesome meal with a great appetizer, fantastic main course, sides and beverages but a poor desert. Not at all disappointed with the meal, just wish the desert had turned out a little better. It was a hell of a meal!

Reactions: Nococy

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
For me anyway, if this season were food, it was an awesome meal with a great appetizer, fantastic main course, sides and beverages but a poor desert. Not at all disappointed with the meal, just wish the desert had turned out a little better. It was a hell of a meal!

At the beginning of the season I thought we would be eating at a Chilis.

• Haha
Reactions: cyclones500

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
A poor desert? Can't you at least say average desert? We made the sweet Sixteen. I don't think our fanbase warrants being so spoiled we turn our nose up at delicious chocolate cake because it's not creme brule.

Reactions: ClubCy

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
A poor desert? Can't you at least say average desert? We made the sweet Sixteen. I don't think our fanbase warrants being so spoiled we turn our nose up at delicious chocolate cake because it's not creme brule.

IDK that i'd say 'poor' but i probably wouldnt say 'average' either. Somewhere in between i guess. A 'successful' run for a 2 seed is probably an elite 8.

To belabor the restaurant analogy, its one thing to have the chocolate cake when you're at chilis, but if they serve you the same chocolate cake at a high end restaurant it'd probably feel fairly disappointing.

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
IDK that i'd say 'poor' but i probably wouldnt say 'average' either. Somewhere in between i guess. A 'successful' run for a 2 seed is probably an elite 8.

To belabor the restaurant analogy, its one thing to have the chocolate cake when you're at chilis, but if they serve you the same chocolate cake at a high end restaurant it'd probably feel fairly disappointing.
1 out of 4 of the higher seeds won tonight. The success was the whole season. One game elimination tournaments are a crapshoot.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011

Eh, I see little difference between sweet 16 and elite 8 program wise. The benefit is getting talked about on a national scale, and you get that from 32 to sweet 16 because of the long break. The only team that's going to get talked about next week is whoever makes the final four. If that's UCONN, which seems likely, hardly anyone is going to care about ISU or Illinois.

Reactions: simply1

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
The benefit is getting talked about on a national scale,

Felt like we didn't get much of that tbh. Felt like one of the more ignored matchups and all the talk was Illinois because they were the flashy offensive team.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
You’re certainly entitled to disagree. But I see it as the last 2 seasons ended because we showed up unprepared and laid some eggs.

We absolutely beat ourselves tonight.

It's college ball.

Sometimes things don't go your way. It They lost by 3. Halftime adjustments were great.

They had shot at the end l, it didn't work out. It's sports sometimes the other guy hits the big shots or makes the free throw

Great season, great coach, great players.

To say otherwise is ignorant.

Reactions: madguy30

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Not sure if it was rhetorical, but if a question is asked about the tournament, I can't help but answer. The answer is 23 (22 other than Iowa State), but only 11 have been there more than 3.
Thanks, I'm surprised it is that many. I was thinking 10-15. Still a pretty good accomplishment as there are around 350 teams so ISU is still in elite company.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Thanks, I'm surprised it is that many. I was thinking 10-15. Still a pretty good accomplishment as there are around 350 teams so ISU is still in elite company.

And of those 350 teams, only 3 will finish their season with a win. So when that season ending loss comes, you can’t stew over it. Enjoy the season you had and forget the loss that ended it.

• Agree
Reactions: twojman

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
And of those 350 teams, only 3 will finish their season with a win. So when that season ending loss comes, you can’t stew over it. Enjoy the season you had and forget the loss that ended it.
Today I learned the postseason College Basketball Invitational still exists (all hail the Seattle Redhawks).

(Also, being nitpicky, but in digging around I discovered Dartmouth, Ball State, and Southeast Missouri State each won their final regular-season game and didn’t make the postseason, either conference tournament or otherwise, so it’s slightly more than three :D. Not much of a flex to win your last game and still not be good enough to make your conference tourney, though.)

Last edited:

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
You’re certainly entitled to disagree. But I see it as the last 2 seasons ended because we showed up unprepared and laid some eggs.

We absolutely beat ourselves tonight.
It's not just TJ, this is the 4th time since 2000 we've made it this far then looked like a deer in headlights.

We were never really in this game at all, but at least it looked better than Hoiberg, Prohm, and Tjs first team who all got completely embarrassed.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
How is it laying an egg when you make it to the Sweet 16?
We underperformed our seeding for the 2nd year in a row after overachieving in the first year.

A trend has now developed where we get to play a bad defense in the tournament then have no answer for their bad defense. Miami, Pitt, and Illinois were both good scoring teams with dog*** defenses and we struggled to score.

We won't take the next step and have a chance at a national title until we get a better offense.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Sometimes its just not your night. We had self inflicted wounds for sure but when a ball is being volleyed around and it just finds its way into the hoop for Illinois, you just knew it wasn't your night.

• Agree
Reactions: 0u812

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
We underperformed our seeding for the 2nd year in a row after overachieving in the first year.

A trend has now developed where we get to play a bad defense in the tournament then have no answer for their bad defense. Miami, Pitt, and Illinois were both good scoring teams with dog*** defenses and we struggled to score.

We won't take the next step and have a chance at a national title until we get a better offense.

Underwood himself said IL played better defense last night and it showed. They can play defense, they just haven't with leaning on offense so much.

They aren't just 'bad at defense' because they have been.

And re: your earlier post: getting to two with several chances to take the lead isn't getting it close?

ISU missed shots at the hoop they usually connect on.

It sucked but they had their chances.

Reactions: NoCreativity

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

Completely agree on the last point. We need a go to scorer. A guy like Niang that if you need a bucket, just clear out and let him go to work. I really think Tamin could become that sort of player, but we’ll see if he can take that next step.

The three interior players were fine, but they weren’t what we need to win big games. Hopefully the new guys can be a step up.

• Winner
Reactions: NoCreativity

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
It's not just TJ, this is the 4th time since 2000 we've made it this far then looked like a deer in headlights.

We were never really in this game at all, but at least it looked better than Hoiberg, Prohm, and Tjs first team who all got completely embarrassed.

Not sure I really agree with this. Yes, the team looked off-balance most of the game, and really didn’t ever have an answer for Shannon - but three times in the final 9 minutes they had the chance to tie the game with an easy layup and couldn‘t make it fall. I’d say the opportunity to tie the score like that multiple times late in the game means you’re still “in” the game, even if you weren’t playing well. Once you’re tied all sorts of things can happen, for either team.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Underwood himself said IL played better defense last night and it showed. They can play defense, they just haven't with leaning on offense so much.
This is what always scares me about playing a team with an elite offense in the tourney like Illinois.

My theory is they might be bad on D all year, bit get in a 1 game situation and all bets are off. You can make up for it in a 1 game setting with intensity and hustle.

Unfortunately i don't think the opposite is true when you have a bad offense, you can't just will your way to making more shots.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
This is what always scares me about playing a team with an elite offense in the tourney like Illinois.

My theory is they might be bad on D all year, bit get in a 1 game situation and all bets are off. You can make up for it in a 1 game setting with intensity and hustle.

Unfortunately i don't think the opposite is true when you have a bad offense, you can't just will your way to making more shots.

ISU's offense wasn't even that bad on the season though. Not a burner but certainly reliable. Last night...just tight everywhere.

Underwood said they at one point had a Top 10 defense (not sure of the time frame) and got away from it.

With their size and length they can certainly play it and to add they were a bad matchip for ISU's smaller guards.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron