Hell of a season

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
I'm obviously heartbroken by tonight's close loss. But it was an amazing season overall. I'll take 2nd place regular season finishes, Big 12 Tournament Championships, and Sweet 16's every damn season. I've seen so much worse. And with the trajectory we're on, we'll eventually break through to the Final 4.

Which reminds me. DONATE TO WE WILL. I'm going to donate again right now.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
You’re certainly entitled to disagree. But I see it as the last 2 seasons ended because we showed up unprepared and laid some eggs.

We absolutely beat ourselves tonight.

For as poorly as we played in the first half I just checked Trank.com (BartTorvik) and we still graded out at an 89; still pretty damn good, although it did break a 5-game long streak of our game scores being above 95. Say what you will about Brad Underwood, but the dude can flat out coach when it comes to offense, especially when he has a player like Shannon.

And seriously; we need to stop the G*d damn silly of insisting the Big Ten sucks and is a terrible conference simply because we hate them and want to firebomb Carver-Hawkeye Arena! Give credit where it's due; Illinois is f*cking good. So are we, but they were just a little better tonight.

Reactions: CycloneErik

BCoffClone125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
I'm as disappointed as anyone else about tonight, but also trying to keep things in perspective. Going into the season I thought we would be a fringe tourney team. TJ once again proved he's one of the best coaches in the country to accomplish the things they did this year. Winning 29 games, another Big 12 tourney and getting to the Sweet 16 is one of the most successful seasons ever for ISU MBB. And to be honest, we played better as a team than many others with more individual talent.

The best way to make a deep run in the tournament is to keep making the tournament. And I have no doubt TJ will continue to improve the talent on this team and consistently get us into the dance every year. It was a great season no matter how tonight ended.

Cloneman89

Sep 28, 2014
The center from Charlotte will help and Mitchell. Hopefully the freshman jitters wear off and we get a tough rack player who will dunk instead of finger roll. Front line has no offense and that needs correction . TJ will get it done

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
Great Season. I feel much better coming out of this game than I did after the blarge and Niange's broken foot. There was always a cloud hanging over our program. After 2000 (and 2001), we were losing probably the best players we have had in a long time. After 2014, we continuously had the question of whether Hoiberg was going to leave to go to the NBA. But now, we have an identity. We have a coach that is going to be at Iowa State for the long haul. We have a lot of returning talent. We have talent in the program that has potential and recruits with promise. I am so excited about the future of Iowa State basketball.

This team was so exciting to watch. Not living in Iowa makes it hard to get to games, but I was able to see more games this year than I ever have. I hope to increase my games next year.
I forgot to mention the other game that was probably one of the hardest for me to get over: The Cameron Dollar game. Older Cyclone fans know what I am talking about.

GoClone

Apr 16, 2006
This team worked so hard and improved so much over the year. They worked hard and well together. Big Rob grew into a bigger force than I ever imagined that he could. Tre King deserved two full years and was a load down low. Hassan, basically lost a year because he was forced to start late, but made the most of his last year with a lot of highlight dunks.

The guards were a great group of disrupters and Milan has a very high ceiling.

I don't think we can even begin to underestimate the extent of Lipsey's shoulder injury and how much it limited him. He gutted it out through so many games this year after it would get tweaked in game after game.

Reactions: CycloneErik

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
For as poorly as we played in the first half I just checked Trank.com (BartTorvik) and we still graded out at an 89; still pretty damn good, although it did break a 5-game long streak of our game scores being above 95. Say what you will about Brad Underwood, but the dude can flat out coach when it comes to offense, especially when he has a player like Shannon.

And seriously; we need to stop the G*d damn silly of insisting the Big Ten sucks and is a terrible conference simply because we hate them and want to firebomb Carver-Hawkeye Arena! Give credit where it's due; Illinois is f*cking good. So are we, but they were just a little better tonight.

Illinois is good. Purdue is good. And the Big 10 sucks. All can be true.

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
Not sure if it was rhetorical, but if a question is asked about the tournament, I can't help but answer. The answer is 23 (22 other than Iowa State), but only 11 have been there more than 3.
I will add - since 2014, Iowa State has made 4 Sweet Sixteens. Only 18 schools have done that (including Iowa State). Only 9 have more than 4 Sweet Sixteens since 2014. And Kansas has the same number of Sweet Sixteens as Iowa State in that timeframe.

And don't forget that Iowa has zero Sweet Sixteens this millenium. 97 schools have been to the Sweet Sixteen since their last appearance.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Illinois is good. Purdue is good. And the Big 10 sucks. All can be true.

IMO both of those teams would finish in the top half of the Big 12, probably in the top 4 or 5 at the very least.

I think the Big 12 is deeper than the Big 10 at the middle and bottom tiers of the conference. But, unfortunately we're not playing Rutgers or Maryland in the Sweet 16.

Reactions: cyatheart

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
I will add - since 2014, Iowa State has made 4 Sweet Sixteens. Only 18 schools have done that (including Iowa State). Only 9 have more than 4 Sweet Sixteens since 2014. And Kansas has the same number of Sweet Sixteens as Iowa State in that timeframe.

And don't forget that Iowa has zero Sweet Sixteens this millenium. 97 schools have been to the Sweet Sixteen since their last appearance.
Gotta keep knocking on the door. Tournament is too much of a coin flip, have to keep giving yourself chances.

Reactions: HoopsTournament

cal-cyclone

Dec 8, 2022
It was such a great season. A close loss in the sweet 16 doesn't tarnish that for me. We won a hell of a lot of games. We improved a lot from last year. We had a group of guys that I am so proud of. The way they battled and never gave up, were full of grit and toughness. I am not sure I could love a team more than this year. They played together, were unselfish, obviously were coachable. TJ did a great job, and it looks like next year might be even better. Can't WAIT until Nov 2024 to see this team play again.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron