HDMI Cables

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
While the things the cables are plugged into are more important, there is a difference between cables.
HDMI is a digital signal, so your content will be all digital until it's displayed on your TV. Component is an analog signal, so there is potential for loss. I'd recommend the HDMI if possible.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I'm pretty sure it's this one.
HDMI cable for digital HDTV systems. Superior HD and digital audio quality.
When I go home, I will check and find out for sure. The reason I subscribe to clonezone is to be able to view it on plasma. It probably won't be any good resolutionwise but at least it will be on a 42" - or at least bigger than my 17" laptop screen :)

I appreciate the help brianhos

If that is the cable you need, you can get it at walmart for probably $15. Just pick up a cheapo one and try it out tonight. It should work very easy. If you have any issues, I will be around tonight just PM me. With 10 min of work, you can have this setup before the game tonight.

guitarchitect7

Oct 8, 2006
www.chrisboeke.com
To the regular Joe Schome, the difference between brands is so small you can't tell. Just get one that has some deacent sheilding and you should be good. Don't spend alot because you wont notice it even if you do.

The resolution of TV does not matter for the cable, thats only important for settings on the hardware that's being hooked up to your T.V., which now in days thats already preset to what you need.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Monoprice also sells dvi-hdmi adapters. You most likely have a dvi conection on your laptop.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
You can just get an DVI -> HDMI cable. I have one of those for my first HD sat tuner... Wow, I have not thought about that in a while, I guess there was life before HD Tivo!

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
My first HDMI cable I spent the big bucks $50 plus for a MONSTER brand solid gold plated something or other. On my next one, I used the crappy HDMI that came with the DVR in the box.

You know what? I can't tell the difference in reception. I really don't think it matters.

guitarchitect7

Oct 8, 2006
www.chrisboeke.com
My first HDMI cable I spent the big bucks $50 plus for a MONSTER brand solid gold plated something or other. On my next one, I used the crappy HDMI that came with the DVR in the box.

You know what? I can't tell the difference in reception. I really don't think it matters.
It's suppose to over long distances, but otherwise the average person won't notice a thing.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
22 told me I can get lots of great info from the good folks of CF :notworthy:

The only reason I mentioned that the TV isnt 1080p is that many of the cables I see are supposed to be better because the carry the better HD signals, which my TV cant get anyway!

BTW, Megan, 42" Hitachi Plasma

I will definitely check the websites offered here. Hate to wait but its better than paying the 35-85 bucks I have seen around here.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
Find the shortest HDMI cable you can get that will work for you, and then get the cheapest one of those you can get.

Under about 10 feet, all the cables will perform just as well up to 1080p. If you need more than 10 feet or so, you'll probably be fine running at 720p with monoprice cables. If you HAVE to have 1080p with longass cables, you're going to have to pop for something a little more spendy.

Remember, the signal is digital. You will get NO better picture with an expensive cable than you will with a cheap cable, so long as the cable is able to deliver the bits "cleanly" between devices. Under 10 feet at 1080p, this is not a problem for even the cheapest cables.
The Truth About Monster Cable, Part 2 (Verdict: Cheap Cables Keep Up...Usually)

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
So are you guys saying that if you have Digital cable but are not using HDMI cables you are NOT getting the best picture you can? So if I have mediacom digital cable and a plasma but am only using the old rca cables (or whatever you call them) I'm losing picture quality and should get a HDMI cable?

Sorry for sounding so stupid if this has been discussed already...

thunderdave

POOTMFS
Apr 14, 2006
So are you guys saying that if you have Digital cable but are not using HDMI cables you are NOT getting the best picture you can? So if I have mediacom digital cable and a plasma but am only using the old rca cables (or whatever you call them) I'm losing picture quality and should get a HDMI cable?

Yes, that is correct.
The cables connecting your reciver to your TV can make a huge difference.

scottie33

Nov 25, 2006
Ames, Iowa
I had used component video cables for hooking everything up, but I have so much stuff to hook up that the cables are all over the place. So, now I have all HDMI cables which all run to my receiver and from there I have just 1 HDMI run to the tv which does your input and output of picture and sound. I control everything I own through my receiver and never touch the tv.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007

I'm assuming you're using Y,Pb,Pr and not just the composite output (3 cables for video and 2 for audio instead of just one for video and 2 for audio).

You will honestly not notice the difference, unless you're using really low quality component cables. Especially if you're using digital cable as your output source.

HDMI is, in theory, superior. In practice, most people can't tell the difference. I wouldn't go spend a ton of money on HDMI cables if you're happy with what you have, unless you've got money to spend and nothing better to spend it on.

On standard-def, digital cable, you will notice 0 difference.

guitarchitect7

Oct 8, 2006
www.chrisboeke.com

RCA's (red, white, and yellow) cables are for old anolog television. Even an S-Video cable is far above that for video quality.

The best solution is to try and stay digital no matter what. Your signal is digital, and your T.V. supports digital. So why convert down to anolog and then back to digital. Even the component cables do that. HDMI, DVI, Digital Coax or optical are all the better ways to go depending on what you can use. The nice thing also is that HDMI and DVI carry the audio signals for you. ONE cable to do both audio and video; its about time.

As far as the quality of the cable really only matters once reaching long distances as I said before. The signal weakens as the distance becomes longer. The thicker and more shielded cable you get the better off the singal will be by the time it reaches the source.

If you all really want some help, look into Clean Power by Monster Cable. It is suppose to help take out the "noise" in any type of signal, thus trying to give you the cleanest picture possible.