HDMI Cables

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
I need to get one of these to hook my new tv up and was wondering what experience some of you may have had. As usual, the internet is a vast wasteland of conflicting information!
How good of a cable do I need and what brand/price does that mean? I will point out that the tv is 1080i so I assume that means I dont need one that will accomodate 1080p or greater as some of them now do, right?

Any other cable upgrading I should be doing relating to audio or video?

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Whatever you do - do not buy them at BestBuy. You can get them for a fraction of the price online and usually at better to far better quality.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Agree on the monoprice suggestion.

Read some recviews on them. Also, I don't think it matters if you have a 1080i or 1080p television as to what kind of HDMI cable is needed.

Also, what are you hooking up to it? I assume just your cable box at this point?

clonomaniac

Apr 12, 2006
St Louis, MO
I have a question. I want to hook up my laptop to my 720p plasma thru hdmi. The other day I was checking the prices at walmart. they have philips products, not sure if they are for laptop to tv though. Anyone wanting to do the same, if so, where did you get the cables?

shildreth

Mar 28, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
I got mine at monoprice as well. Same thing for 1/8 of the cost. I ended up getting two they were so cheap. One for the DVD player and one for the cable box. My TV is a 1080p.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
They make a big difference in DVD viewing great picture

Nope, a good set of components will be just as good. The only difference is HDMI is nice because you don't need a seperate cable for audio.

For only $6.78 each when QTY 50+ purchased - HDMI 1.3a Category 2 Certified Cable 28AWG - 10ft w/Ferrite Cores (Gold Plated) - BLUE | 28AWG HDMI 1.3a Category 2 Certified Male to Male Cables

Those will be fine, and are only $10 each, and in nice colors for easy tracing.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I just got a new plasma...why do you need these cables? For the DVD player or something?

If your DVD player can handle HDMI it is nice, but component is just as good. HDMI cables are usually cheaper also, so that is an advantage too. Just don't buy the $100 monster cables, there is no difference.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I have a question. I want to hook up my laptop to my 720p plasma thru hdmi. The other day I was checking the prices at walmart. they have philips products, not sure if they are for laptop to tv though. Anyone wanting to do the same, if so, where did you get the cables?

You probably do not have hdmi on your laptop. What kind of output do you have? DVI? Or just VGA?

jakemcilroy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 26, 2006
The best site I've seen to buy HDMI cables is

My Cable Mart

It is AWESOME. High quality cables at SERIOUSLY low prices. They also ship the same day and you don't pay shipping even though they arrive in 1-2 days at your house. Trust me, this site is respectable, safe, and cheap.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
It's HDMI output.

Nice, then just get a long enough cable to hook it up. Pop it in, and hit function f8 (or whatever the lcd/crt button is).

I do this with my laptop for presentations all the time. Pretty handy.

clonomaniac

Apr 12, 2006
St Louis, MO
Nice, then just get a long enough cable to hook it up. Pop it in, and hit function f8 (or whatever the lcd/crt button is).

I do this with my laptop for presentations all the time. Pretty handy.

You know what, its a DVI now that I think of it. So you are right, DVI is the one with less pins right? The laptop has HDMI connectivity but that doesn't means it has HDMI port. My bad.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
You know what, its a DVI now that I think of it. So you are right, DVI is the one with less pins right? The laptop has HDMI connectivity but that doesn't means it has HDMI port. My bad.

HDMI looks like a big usb connector (like the ones on your camera), DVI looks like a square connector with tons of pins and an odd square thing on the left.

Here, look at these cables, and tell me which one looks like it.

FAQ Why use HDMI DVI. What is a HDMI switch. What is the difference between HDMI and DVI

clonomaniac

Apr 12, 2006
St Louis, MO
HDMI looks like a big usb connector (like the ones on your camera), DVI looks like a square connector with tons of pins and an odd square thing on the left.

Here, look at these cables, and tell me which one looks like it.

FAQ Why use HDMI DVI. What is a HDMI switch. What is the difference between HDMI and DVI

I'm pretty sure it's this one.
HDMI cable for digital HDTV systems. Superior HD and digital audio quality.
When I go home, I will check and find out for sure. The reason I subscribe to clonezone is to be able to view it on plasma. It probably won't be any good resolutionwise but at least it will be on a 42" - or at least bigger than my 17" laptop screen :)

I appreciate the help brianhos