Hawaii

CTAClone

Addict
Mar 28, 2006
Amerika
Why does Hawaii get no love? I know that there schedule isn't the toughest but they've still won every game they've played this year. CBSSportsline has their strength of schedule at 120 which is the worst, but after they play Boise State and maybe win, doesn't that legitimize their claim for BCS?

price26

Sep 1, 2006
Ames, IA
I don't think they are exactly laying waste to any of their opponents though this season. I think for a team from a non-bcs conference to make the title game they would have to be good the previous season and then proceed to just destroy their opponents to garner attention.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
They will still make a BCS game if they finish in the Top 12 in the BCS Standings.

No way to they have a claim for the title game...no way.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Why does Hawaii get no love? I know that there schedule isn't the toughest but they've still won every game they've played this year. CBSSportsline has their strength of schedule at 120 which is the worst, but after they play Boise State and maybe win, doesn't that legitimize their claim for BCS?

That's precisely why they get no love.

Don't get me wrong - I've been on Hawaii's campus, and it's beautiful, and their football team is a good program. I think they're BCS worthy, and if they win out they'll land there, but, even if they're undefeated, I'd have a really difficult time putting them in a national title game when they've played absolutely NOBODY. I mean, Kansas' first several games were nothing to write home about, but I don't think it landed them at #120...

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
When your qb passes for 500 yards and they consider it a bad game, you are not taken seriously. Hawaii is TT on steroids.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
Hawaii has had several close calls against much weaker opponents in the WAC than Kansas had in the Big XII. Don't get me wrong, Hawaii's offense is amazing, but their defense is second rate.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Partly because of the time of their games! Hard for some of us on the mainland to stay up and watch them. If you get a chance to watch them...they are very entertaining!

After spending two weeks in Hawaii this summer...I would gladly go play there if I were an 18 year old kid. Homesickness would definitely play a factor though...that is a long way to go!

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
After my experiences in Las Vegas with the native Hawaiians this past year, I have ruled out ever giving them ANY of my money by visiting their island...also not a big fan of their fb team now.

price26

Sep 1, 2006
Ames, IA
After my experiences in Las Vegas with the native Hawaiians this past year, I have ruled out ever giving them ANY of my money by visiting their island...also not a big fan of their fb team now.

That seems like a rough way to go about it. Experience in Vegas with some native Hawaiians. . . Maybe if you had a bad experience in Boise with some native Hawaiians I would understand, but I think Vegas changes things . . . . :biglaugh:

CP44

Nov 27, 2006
My guess is that as long as they are in the WAC they will never be taken as seriously as a team from the Big 12 or SEC. They won't get as many recruits either because most would rather play for or against Oklahoma, Texas, or Auburn instead of somebody from a much weaker conference.

tigershoops31

Apr 13, 2006
Ames

Don't hold it against the whole state just because those 2 island boys told your wife about your "friendship" :tongue:

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
Hawaii has looked BAD at times this year. They have a suspect at best Defense, and have played pretty much nobody. I think Boise state kicks them all over the field. 6 loss San Jose State took them to overtime, and really should have won the game. Louisiana Tech took them to overtime and lost by going for 2. They are barely squeaking by BAD teams.

Their SoS is the biggest reason they aren't being taken seriously. Sagarin ranks it at 157. UNI's is 147, and they play in 1-AA.

Hawaii has played 2 1-AA teams, and not 1 single BCS conference school. Their NC schedule makes Kansas' look challenging.

If they win out, they'll probably get a chance to get beat down by a BCS team, but I really don't think they belong there.

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006
If they win out, they'll probably get a chance to get beat down by a BCS team, but I really don't think they belong there.

But look at what Boise did to OU last year. If they get to the game they have a chance.

And remember that all of these excuses will be used against ISU if we ever get to that level.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Hawaii has looked BAD at times this year. They have a suspect at best Defense, and have played pretty much nobody. I think Boise state kicks them all over the field. 6 loss San Jose State took them to overtime, and really should have won the game. Louisiana Tech took them to overtime and lost by going for 2. They are barely squeaking by BAD teams.

Their SoS is the biggest reason they aren't being taken seriously. Sagarin ranks it at 157. UNI's is 147, and they play in 1-AA.

Hawaii has played 2 1-AA teams, and not 1 single BCS conference school. Their NC schedule makes Kansas' look challenging.

I think this year's Hawaii team deserves to be there than any Notre Dame team that goes 9-3 (and over most 10-2 Irish teams)... :wacko:

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
But look at what Boise did to OU last year. If they get to the game they have a chance.

And remember that all of these excuses will be used against ISU if we ever get to that level.

Boise needed a trick play in overtime to beat a very average Oklahoma team. Boise State also had at least one win over a BCS conference team last year (Oregon State), and had been absolutely dominant all year long. They gave up 42 points to Oklahoma, which was more than their previous 3 games combined.

Hawaii got beat pretty handily by Boise State last year (it was 41-27 with 5 minutes to go), and this year's Hawaii team would have been throttled just as badly by last year's Boise State team.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Boise needed a trick play in overtime to beat a very average Oklahoma team. Boise State also had at least one win over a BCS conference team last year (Oregon State), and had been absolutely dominant all year long. They gave up 42 points to Oklahoma, which was more than their previous 3 games combined.

Hawaii got beat pretty handily by Boise State last year (it was 41-27 with 5 minutes to go), and this year's Hawaii team would have been throttled just as badly by last year's Boise State team.

I will say this for Hawaii - Them being a road team is a much more difficult task than Boise St being a road team. I'm not sure how many of you have ever flown from Honolulu to Los Angeles, but you leave Honolulu at 1:00 p.m. and arrive in LA at 9:30 p.m., only to jump on another plane a couple of hours later to arrive at the next destination. That kind of time adjustment is something that Boise St never has to deal with. It could be a reason why Hawaii underperformed at both horrible San Jose St and Louisiana Tech - they were both road games and that's just an insane time adjustment to deal with.

It's also the same reason why Hawaii's insanely good at home - the opponent has to deal with the time change to play at Hawaii. Boise St's going to leave LA at noon and arrive in Honolulu at 2:30. I know you're saying, 2.5 hour flight - not a big deal... WRONG! It's actually a 6 hour flight, and even the most seasoned traveler will get antsy on that flight. Boise St's not going to run all over Hawaii this year simply because, due to the travel, Hawaii may just have the best home field advantage in all of college football.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
I will say this for Hawaii - Them being a road team is a much more difficult task than Boise St being a road team. I'm not sure how many of you have ever flown from Honolulu to Los Angeles, but you leave Honolulu at 1:00 p.m. and arrive in LA at 9:30 p.m., only to jump on another plane a couple of hours later to arrive at the next destination. That kind of time adjustment is something that Boise St never has to deal with. It could be a reason why Hawaii underperformed at both horrible San Jose St and Louisiana Tech - they were both road games and that's just an insane time adjustment to deal with.

It's also the same reason why Hawaii's insanely good at home - the opponent has to deal with the time change to play at Hawaii. Boise St's going to leave LA at noon and arrive in Honolulu at 2:30. I know you're saying, 2.5 hour flight - not a big deal... WRONG! It's actually a 6 hour flight, and even the most seasoned traveler will get antsy on that flight. Boise St's not going to run all over Hawaii this year simply because, due to the travel, Hawaii may just have the best home field advantage in all of college football.

Sure it's difficult. It's difficult for teams from the east coast to go out west, and vice-versa as well. The reason they are insanely good at home this year is because their home schedule is:
Northern Colorado (1-AA) 63-6
Colorado Southern (1-AA) 66-10
Utah State (0-10) 52-37
New Mexico State (4-7) 50-13
Fresno State (6-4) 37-30
Boise State
Washington

Fresno State just lost at Hawaii by a touchdown. I don't think it's THAT big of an advantage. I guess we'll find out more in the next few weeks. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised to see them lose this week to Nevada, especially if Brennan doesn't play.

CTAClone

Addict
Mar 28, 2006
Amerika
Fresno State just lost at Hawaii by a touchdown. I don't think it's THAT big of an advantage. I guess we'll find out more in the next few weeks. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised to see them lose this week to Nevada, especially if Brennan doesn't play.

I watched the Fresno State game...and they were never in the game until Brennan got knocked out. It looked like a blow out until the fourth quarter.

Help Support Us

Become a patron