Have you ever been embarrassed to wear Cyclone Gear?

Rick

Mar 18, 2007
Ankeny
It was definitely a poor choice of words but I understand what they are saying. Try living in the Eastern part of the state and listen to TOE fans after getting shellacked or Western part when Neb used to throttle us. Getting beat down by their fans and having nothing to retort can be a struggle. It is much easier to wear the gear when you your team is good to great.

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
Honestly in that case I'm more embarrassed for the NU or TOE fans. Really pathetic.

I don't need ISU to prop up my identity, and I actually went to school there unlike most vocal TOE fans

Reactions: StPaulCyclone

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Back in when I was in elementary school, I’d avoid wearing Iowa State clothes on mondays after losses, mainly because of a group of hawk fan classmates who would harass me non stop for being an Iowa State fan. I got the last laugh because none of them actually ended up going to Iowa or amounted to much in their lives, except for one who saw the light and went to Iowa State.

Spot on, and bonus points for accurately describing 90% of their fan base.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Most of our school pride, except for a few years, was not related to the football program. We all love Iowa State, but very few of us were proud of our football program. Now we’re are all buying black shirts and sweatshirts and wearing them with pride. I think many are taking the comments too literally.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
In Stansbury's article, both Eisworth and Campbell said not that long ago before they were here that people were embarrassed to wear a cyclone shirt or hat. I know what there trying to say but I think this comes off poorly. I've been a cyclone fan since 85-86 and I don't ever remember being embarrassed to wear anything Cyclone gear. Many times I've been disappointed or let down, but not embarrassed. I also am an alumnus so maybe that's part of the reason for me.

To me, it is kind of the pervasive attitude in society, "that nothing mattered until I showed up". I think it is somewhat disrespectful to the players and fans that have been here for awhile. Maybe its just the word embarrassed, thoughts?

Boy, really picking apart the details today, aren't we?

It's a phrase to indicate that the program has improved from where it had been. Nothing more.

CycloneAlley

Apr 11, 2006
Maloy, USA
I have heard Campbell mention multiple times this season about how bad/embarrassing the program was before his coaching staff and these senior players got to Iowa State. It kind of rubs me the wrong way each time I hear it. He and his staff has taken the program to another level for sure, I was just never, ever embarrassed by it.

Hopefully this says more about his expectations and he considers a program that averaged a 5 to 6 win team over the last 20 years embarrassing. Not sure where 7 wins fit in his scale…

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
embarrassed? no. but I also think it's justifiable for everyone to be allowed 2-3 accidental pant sh**tings a year without judgment.

so take it for what you will.