Hate to beat a dead horse but...

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
If MT looses his starting job next year how good will we be? (because a better performer has come in.) I believe if he does start next year,not at point, the pressure will be off him, and the results of his play will be much better.

Last edited:

mike4cy

Aug 4, 2006
Urbandale
He won't lose it, he can score like crazy. But he will be a better player when he doesn't need to handle the ball a lot, when he can be part of the offense and not trying to start it.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
we just need him to not be the point guard, he is playing out of position.

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
he will be fine as a 2 guard. corey mac or diante should be able to handle the 1 next yr.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Who is going to beat him out of a starting spot? If Diante starts it's going to be McIntosh going to the bench.

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
you beat me too it polk city. i was really hoping he wasnt referring to taylor as our best player.

that said, taylor probably will lose his starting PG spot, to corey m or diante g or a combo fo both. mike will probably be our starting SG.

candg4ever

Oct 29, 2006
Nevada, IA
You are correct - our best player will not lose his job. Wesley will start next year.

I agree. MT might be our 3rd best player. Hubalek improved at his position continuously after he decided to play within the system. In games he didn't score, he at least rebounded and didn't turn the ball over a ridiculous number of times. Subtract the points MT's errors cost us and gave our oppenents every game, and I question how valuable he really is. I think he might be better suited as a come-off-the-bench/instant-offense type of player. Cory McIntosh has also improved steadily, both in running what little offense we have and defensively. Against the Huskers on Wed. he shut down a very good point guard for much of the game.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Who knows, Dodie could really step his game up over the summer.

darts180

Apr 12, 2006
I really think that it is unfair, all of the shots being taken at Mike Taylor on here.

He has played out of position all year, he has had to handle the ball way too much, because we struggled at the point guard position for much of the year. He was the only guy on the team that could create for himself and his teammates. Hell he was the only guy on the team that could penetrate.

He suffered from having very little talent around him, yet it has been all his fault that we are 15-15. I feel bad for the guy, because he will not ever get the credit from the Iowa State fans for being as good a player as he was here.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
He will start next year at the 2 position, and results will be better. I think he had a terrific year but suffered because of the turnovers as a result of playing out of position. That should get fixed next year and we'll see better results out of Mike Taylor. I already wish next season was here... last night's game left me wanting so much more...

tec71

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, Iowa
I understand that MT has been asked to handle the ball more this year than might be ideal but what I don't understand is how making him the 2 guard will fix, what is in my opinion his greatest issue, that being his poor decision making, particularly in shot selection. That has nothing to do with handling the ball come up the court or in starting the offense. Perhaps there's some relief becase all the times he was supposed to start the offense and didn't to take an ill advised shot will go away with a better decision maker at the point. Still shouldn't he improve his decision making in the off season. In fact for all the kudos that GMac and Jiri have gotten for their "heart to heart" I'd think that one of the same sort should occur with GMac and MT with the same explicit consequences threatened as were with Jiri. Play within the system or don't play. Maybe MT gets in the flow then more often. THe guy has crazy ability if he'd slow down and be a part of the flow. Of course most will write me off as a hater becuase for some reason MT has taken on the untouchable nature. It just doesn't seem to be opinion for a debate or honest difference of opinion with some.

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
I understand that MT has been asked to handle the ball more this year than might be ideal but what I don't understand is how making him the 2 guard will fix, what is in my opinion his greatest issue, that being his poor decision making, particularly in shot selection.

Remember Mike Nurse? He was maddening as a point guard, but electric as a shooting guard. I think there's something to be said for compartmentalizing. When everyone's role on a team is well-defined, everyone knows what they're supposed to do. If Taylor is able to focus on what he does best (shoot the rock) then he can be very successful. If he has to do this and handle the ball, distribute the ball, set the offense, manage the clock in late shotclock situations, etc. he struggles.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
BeatDeadHorse.gif

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
ISUfan22, you know in some cultures people eat horses, in which case you just posted a picture of a gentleman beating his meat. I, sir, am offended.

cmoore_23

Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
i think we will have the same starting line up next year as we have all year, i dont see clark, westley or jiri not starting, and with that said, i also believe CM and MT will improve alot, along with all the other players

Oldgeezer

Mar 18, 2006
Waukon, Iowa
Mike Taylor's problems stem more from playing out of control than playing out of position. I think that's the only way he CAN play. He is a minature Stinson with less strength. He is fearless and does a great job of rebounding for a guy who is 6' and weighs 165#. If he gets beat out next year, it will be by a player who averages 15+ points a game and turns the ball over less than 5 times a game. If that happens, that's a GOOD thing. It's all up to Taylor.