Has recruiting well run dry for Hawks?

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Some Hawkeye fan should make a Google map of recruit homes for UNI, ISU and Iowa to see how they stack up to the other schools. That might help answer the question.

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
I love threads like this. Their recruiting class is better than ours, and we're asking if their well is drying up? Seriously?

Better? That remains to be seen. I wouldn't base this simply on star ratings on a paid service. They are giving scholys to players we invited to walk on. I'd be careful of simple assesments of recruiting.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
If Iowa went .500 with their past 'top' recruiting classes, what will they do with this one?

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
It doesn't matter who they recruit. Their coaching staff quit working in 2005. A guarantee of 8 years and $20 million can do that I guess. It doesn't matter who they recruit, no effort from the coaches = no effort from the players = .500 at best again.

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
Here's my 2 cents......i think Iowa's season will either make Kf or break him in years to come. Reason being, with the number of off field issues EIU encountered, they had to remove red shirts and play people that physically and probably mentally were not prepared to play at big eleven or any other BCS conference play. It all depends on how those young kids move through the system.....they will either grow and take the program upward or KF will be fighting a losing battle the next 4 years. I think for a university like ISU, being able to redshirt all of the lineman both sides of the ball is building the team for the future. Playing players that you had intended to redshirt simply to take advantage of a season with a weak schedule to try and get to a bowl game so all of the alum is happy could be like playing russian roulette. I'll take Chiz's method any day, redshirt everyone you can because the transition from HS ball to College ball and the life style change cannot be underestimated, the more time to get acclimated and Strength and Conditioning better prepares these kids to match up against the Seniors of Texas, Nebraska, Oklahomas and now Missouri and Kansas.

EIU good luck in your coaching search, i hear Terry Allen would like another shot at a division I program or maybe Mark Farley beings that we stole McDermott when every alum of Iowa wanted him.....

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
EIU good luck in your coaching search, i hear Terry Allen would like another shot at a division I program or maybe Mark Farley beings that we stole McDermott when every alum of Iowa wanted him.....

I agree with everything you wrote except the part about the coaching search. Ferentz got a renegotiated contract in 2004 for 8 years at $3 million per year w/guaranteed raises. He quit working hard the minute the ink was dry on that contract -- and his results show -- but the money is guaranteed. If Iowa canned Kirk now they'd be liable for a buyout of over $15 million. No matter how bad it gets, they're stuck with him for quite awhile.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Yeah, they should start hoping that the NFL teams come knocking because its the only way they can offload KF without having to build a mint to print all the money they owe him.

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
The great thing is that if they'd paid him around $1.5 million per year guaranteed with possibility of $1 to $2 million in incentives, they would most likely still be a top ten team today instead of a joke.

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
I agree with everything you wrote except the part about the coaching search. Ferentz got a renegotiated contract in 2004 for 8 years at $3 million per year w/guaranteed raises. He quit working hard the minute the ink was dry on that contract -- and his results show -- but the money is guaranteed. If Iowa canned Kirk now they'd be liable for a buyout of over $15 million. No matter how bad it gets, they're stuck with him for quite awhile.

Monty, you cannot expect me to believe that the highest paid state employee has a no clause guaranteed contract - NO WAY. My guess is he could have been fired this year for some kind of code of conduct or similar writing in that contract. Theres always a way around a contract - besides, all these big "Guaranteed" contracts have a buyout clause.

I still say, watch out KF if you don't get to 8 wins this year and they should, they have another cake schedule be like RPI 70-80 in the country and finish with 7 wins would be a catastrophe....

But Monty, i agree about coaching....they began to relax when they started getting 4-5 recruits calling them, they want to be the next great iowa lineman or bob sanders......Those coaches began to read their own press clippings and its shows.... 21 arrests don't help either!!!!!!:wideeyed:

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I wouldnt say that iowa's recruiting class is any better than ours. It is a pretty well known fact that if you commit to ISU, your "stars" go down. If you look at size, speed, etc etc, I think we are more than comparablle with iowa's recruiting. Also dont forget about Bo williams. He was a great get that wont show up on the recruiting class of 08'.

Can you give me some examples of players that have committed to us this year and their Rivals and/or Scout ratings dropped?

Still no data to back this up?

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
The great thing is that if they'd paid him around $1.5 million per year guaranteed with possibility of $1 to $2 million in incentives, they would most likely still be a top ten team today instead of a joke.

Actually, if they pulled that Ferentz might just be in the NFL right now. He's getting $3 per to do virtually nothing right now. If he had $1.5 guaranteed but had to work for the extra $1 to $2, he might as well go to the NFL and get the $4 to $5 guaranteed with the expectation to perform. I'm telling you - the guaranteed $3 to just show up on a daily basis is what's keeping him in Iowa City - not the love of the old gold 'n black...

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields
I wouldnt say that iowa's recruiting class is any better than ours. It is a pretty well known fact that if you commit to ISU, your "stars" go down. If you look at size, speed, etc etc, I think we are more than comparablle with iowa's recruiting. Also dont forget about Bo williams. He was a great get that wont show up on the recruiting class of 08'.

i disagree with the up and down stars theory. do player ratings change throughout the recruiting process? yes. do they go down just because isu is recruiting them? i have yet to see it. in fact, when we first started targeting jason carlson the speedy juco wr, he was a 2 star. now he has verballed to us and is listed as a 3 star. these services are constantly re-evaluating talent. they already have a top 150 for next years class and i would be very surprised if there aren't at least 10-20 kids in there now that will not be by the end of next season on account of the year they have compared to other kids.

MaxPower57

Mar 30, 2006
I think that the interpretation of stars going down when they commit to ISU is somewhat false. It is somewhat relevant when a player commits to ISU early on and doesn't attract the attention of some bigger named schools. Kind of like Arnaud on scout...committed early...only a two star.

You will see more players stars go up if they commit to an upper-echelon school like Ohio St or Michigan. I know EIU lost a 3* recruit to OSU recently and he is now a 4*. The same may happen with Leonard Johnson if he ends up playing for the Blue.

It kinda goes both ways too. If a player commits to ISU they will almost always end up being ranked at least a 2*, even if they are a guy like Matt Leaders who really aren't D-I scholarship material.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Looks like Captain Kirk of the Enterprise better start recruiting some Vulcans if the well has run dry.

Wonder if Keno Drake is making in roads into Iowa Hawks basketball recruiting this year.

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
jdoggivjc said:
Actually, if they pulled that Ferentz might just be in the NFL right now.

Ferentz's players are an embarassment off the field and his career coaching record is 73-70. Why is it worth $25 million+ to keep him from leaving?

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
iowa state doesnt get the respect that a lot of schools like michigan, iowa, texas etc get in the recruiting game because we havent won enough to earn it. but honestly, if he goes anywhere else in the country Austen Arnaud is 4* guy... same with bates, but instead they are 3*'s... and guys like hammerschmidt arent even ranked for ISU

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
iowa state doesnt get the respect that a lot of schools like michigan, iowa, texas etc get in the recruiting game because we havent won enough to earn it.

You're joking, right? Michigan and Texas are football powerhouses. Iowa is not respected nationally. They are on a much lower level than Michigan and Texas:

National Championships
Michigan: 11
Texas: 4
Iowa: 0

Bowl games
Texas: 46
Michigan: 39
Iowa: 22

Overall Record
Michigan: 860-286-36 (.745)
Texas: 810-313-33 (.715)
Iowa: 559-505-39 (.524)