Harold Nichols open

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010
Good thing Iowa Central, Ellsworth and Midland College showed up. Iowa State would be damn near winless without them.

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields
UNI and Illinois have at least parts of their varsity on the mat today. So there some big matchups possible at 133 (against #4 Colon from UNI), 141 (against #5 Furtell) and 174 (against #4 Blaton)
Meeks gets colon in finals. Too bad goettl lost or he'd have furtell. Blanton lost first round, kid that beat him made it to semis and got majored by mikey e

Nov 11, 2011
For someone in attendance today what did we learn about this team? Thanks.

BirdOfWar

May 3, 2010
Central Iowa
Meeks a one point loss to #4 colon. Was up 4-1 early lost 5-4

Can anyone that watched the match give a little more detail about how Meeks looked? Obviously it was a tight match. How does the rest of the guys ranked above Colon look?

I would guess Meeks will not redshirt, but who knows. I don't think they have to make that decision quite yet.

psyclone51

Nov 6, 2011
Nice tune-up tournament; I am sure the guys appreciate the chance to wrestle someone different for a change.

Especially impressed with Meeks. Takes on the #4 ranked wrestler (Intermat) and a senior and pushes him to the limit. Great job John. This is the kind of statement you needed - and I bet wanted - to make and you did. You are miles ahead of where Colon was at your age. Rock on!

psyclone51

Nov 6, 2011
Nice tune-up tournament; I am sure the guys appreciate the chance to wrestle someone different for a change.

Especially impressed with Meeks. Takes on the #4 ranked wrestler (Intermat) and a senior and pushes him to the limit. Great job John. This is the kind of statement you needed - and I bet wanted - to make and you did. You are miles ahead of where Colon was at your age. Rock on!

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Meeks had a takedown in the last 30 seconds of the mat and didn't get it awarded. Meeks around Colon's legs and Colon on his butt. Similiar to all the takedowns given on the edge of the mat. I definitely thought it should have been 6-5 Meeks over Colon.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Also Moreno isn't going to just give the spot to whoever drops from 174. He looked good at 165.

Molina wrestled 6 matches and keeps going and going even when behind.

Alnacin

Aug 16, 2012
Meeks had a takedown in the last 30 seconds of the mat and didn't get it awarded. Meeks around Colon's legs and Colon on his butt. Similiar to all the takedowns given on the edge of the mat. I definitely thought it should have been 6-5 Meeks over Colon.
No control. No takedown. Watch the Stieber vs Oliver match at NCAA's last year.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
-At 125 Finch's loss was to an unheralded true freshman. I hope that was just an early season mental lapse. He did come back on fire and pin/tech his way through the consolation bracket to that might be the case.

-At 133 Meeks going toe to toe with the #4 guy in the country is a great sign of things to come

-At 141 Goettl lost to a decent wrestler in Brock Couto (Juco AA) but has to win those matches if he is going to make any noise at Nationals this year. I was expecting to see more improvement out of him.

-At 149 Mayfield had to injury default, anybody know what the injury was? Moreno looked good but I'd still like to see him redshirt. Depending on Mayfield's injury it might not be an option though.

-At 157 Molina's loss to Witte isn't as bad at it looks (Witte is a freshman but a blue chip recruit). Looking like 157 will be serviceable but not great this year.

-At 165 Moreno got the job done. There wasn't a lot of competition at that weight and he took care of business.

-At 174 Jordon Blanton got upset in the first round so we didn't get to see how our guys matched up against him. But Weatherman and England both took care of business against the guys they wrestled.

-At 184 Beard was out with an injury so nothing much was learned. Hopefully the lack of matches doesn't bite him later when it comes to Nationals Qualifying

-197 was similar to 165. Not a lot of competition but Shafer came prepared and rolled through the tournament.

-At HWT Gibson did not come prepared in his first match and it cost him. He rolled through the consolation bracket but that first loss against a mediocre guy looks bad.

All in all Finch, Goettl, and Gibson's losses are black marks. Those are three of our best wrestlers even though they all came back and took third there is no excuse for them to have even been in the consolations. Hopefully they learn from this and don't let it happen again.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
With regard to redshirts for Meeks and Moreno. If KJ is truly on the hot seat as most seem to think, I would fully expect any true freshman who is significantly better than the next option at his weight to wrestle this year. If I was in KJ's shoes, I'd do it.

mikewdm

Sep 21, 2011
With regard to redshirts for Meeks and Moreno. If KJ is truly on the hot seat as most seem to think, I would fully expect any true freshman who is significantly better than the next option at his weight to wrestle this year. If I was in KJ's shoes, I'd do it.

I just don't want them to waste John Meeks freshman season in favor a one extra win for a mediocre team. If Meeks is already doing well this year just think what he could do next year as a red shirt freshman and probably a much better team as a whole. Does anybody disagree with me that Jackson and Nickerson need at least one more year to fully develop his team?