Harold Nichols open

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Look at how dominating Gibson and Finch were other than the one mental lapse. Change some minor parts, but I'm excited about those 2.

isuska

Jun 22, 2011
Ankeny, IA
not going to lie, i think we have to put the best men out there no matter their age. ideally we'd have:

125 - Finch
133 - Meeks
141 - G.Moreno
149 - Goettl
157 - Molina/Weatherman
165 - M.Moreno
174 - Weatherman/England
184 - Beard/England
197 - Gadson/Shafer
HWT - Gibson

other teams around the nation have showed that a true freshman have the ability to play a big part for their teams.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Was this Meeks first lost in forever? I know he had a great high school record, but I don't know if he has wrestled elsewhere and lost. Hope he really disliked the taste of the loss! I would love to see him emerge as another superb ISU wrestler.

Clonedad

Nov 11, 2012
He has lost in national events. After the finals match and everyone around him including KJ he told coach and I, to just let it go. He said Colone and his coach know that I beat him and I will see him again.
John is focused and hungry for battle

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010
not going to lie, i think we have to put the best men out there no matter their age. ideally we'd have:

125 - Finch
133 - Meeks
141 - G.Moreno
149 - Goettl
157 - Molina/Weatherman
165 - M.Moreno
174 - Weatherman/England
184 - Beard/England
197 - Gadson/Shafer
HWT - Gibson

other teams around the nation have showed that a true freshman have the ability to play a big part for their teams.

I hope Weatherman comes around and turns the corner this year. He has the potential to be a monster, but it sure didn't look it last year. Hope he overcomes that.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Personally, if I were KJ, I'd take off the redshirts if those two are even marginally better than the other guys at their weights. Obviously, he's on the hot seat. He needs every win to keep his job. Besides, if he gets fired, there's no guarantee that Meeks and Moreno would stick around under a new coach. I think that you try to do the best you can THIS year and worry about the future down the line.

Anyone know if Gadson is even going to wrestle this year?

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Anyone know if Gadson is even going to wrestle this year?[/QUOTE]

I think Kyven will have a wrestle off with Cole 1st. That would only be fair to Cole.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
He has lost in national events. After the finals match and everyone around him including KJ he told coach and I, to just let it go. He said Colone and his coach know that I beat him and I will see him again.
John is focused and hungry for battle

I imagine that the transition from beating everyone in high school to having to compete in college where lots of guys beat everyone in high school would be tough. Glad to hear the Meeks is "focused and hungry for battle." Hope he dominates at the this level also!

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I hope Weatherman comes around and turns the corner this year. He has the potential to be a monster, but it sure didn't look it last year. Hope he overcomes that.

What do you take away from last year? He hardly wrestled. He needs to be at a weight he feels comfortable at, and he did not look good at 157 two years ago. Hopefully he is ready to go this season.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
We don't need Thompson at HWT. We seem to be pretty set. Gibson this season. Then we have Swope who has had a pretty good season minus an injury. And then there's Smith; if he pulls things together. And I feel that after more time in the room, Scanlan will be putting up more team points.

Thompson is much better than Gibson. Thompson is an AA caliber wrestler at the D-1 level. Gibson is on the outside looking in. I have to disagree about Swope. He couldn't even place at the UNI Open. He has a long way to go. I know nothing about the other two. Unless we go the JC route, HWT will be a weakness next year.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I was a little surprised that Matt turned Tyler so easy in the intrasquad. He TF him 15-0 by the middle of the 2nd period. The one thing that is decieving is that Matt isn't like most hwts. Most don't work the tilt and have a great switch like Matt does. I haven't heard how the weight is coming off Quean, but I have seen him at the home wrestling meets and the intrasquad.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
Swope pinned his way through the Kaye Young and then pinned his first two guys at Harold Nichols where he sprained his ankle during his third match and was off the mat for a few weeks. UNI was his first tournament back, pinning his first guy, then lost by two and then won his first wrestleback and then lost to Blayne Beale of UNI.

He didn't wrestle anyone of significance in those matches, mostly NAIA starters and backups. His only win over a D-1 guy this year is an undersized walk on from Iowa who isn't a D-1 wrestler and he beat him 2-1. Beale is UNI's backup. He was the starter last season and didn't qualify for the NCAAs. If he is the future at HWT he needs to step up his game, big time. Luckily, HWTs often take longer to develop.

cyfan9

Aug 27, 2011
We don't need Thompson at HWT. We seem to be pretty set. Gibson this season. Then we have Swope who has had a pretty good season minus an injury. And then there's Smith; if he pulls things together. And I feel that after more time in the room, Scanlan will be putting up more team points.

Have to disagree with you here. There was a reason Eric Thompson was one of the top recruits in his class. He would have been the starter the day after Z won his title. Eric thought he would come into the room and beat out Z from day one. I love that mentality, but when he realized it wasn't going to happen I wish he would have embraced the opportunity to learn from Z. When he realized he wasn't going to start, he let his effort on and off the mat slip. Thompson would have been a beast for ISU.

Now it didn't work out for him, but it sounds things are going well for him now. I wish him the best.

I like the way Gibson is wrestling and hope he can crack AA in a deep HWT class. I am glad both Swope and Smith are wrestling at the Midlands. I hope I am wrong, but think we are in a world of hurt at this weight going forward. I was hoping KJ would make this a recruiting priority this year...

bruudy

Jan 15, 2013
No offense for the kid but he was blasting last year as we know.I wouldn't redshirt him. Everyone knows Meeks is going to be a great one. Don't wait. At this point, Meeks could never beat Ramos and probably next year too.