HA! How pathetic!

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
UGH.

I referenced the last three years of bowl games... then said ppl can't wait to prop them back up ... it had nothing to do with this years games. I haven't commented on this years games.

This has been a surprising year for the BigTen in bowl games this year especially compared to previous years....

so far Big 12 4-3 with a NC game left and the Big10 is 3-3 with Iowa left to play. TX wins the NC, the Big12 easily gets the nod for toughest conference for the season and for the bowl games. A TX loss and most of the debate will be unsettled.

Big12 playing more teams (75% of our conference) versus the Big10 63%. More on the line and the Big12 can only be as bad as 500, where the Big ten can still have a losing record.

And for the record... IMO, Iowa wins by 17.

5 of the 8 teams the Big 12 played in bowls were unranked. 4 of the 7 teams the Big 10 played in bowls were ranked #15 or higher. If the Big 12 goes .500 against that lineup, that's pretty bad.

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
Compare the Big 12's bowl opponents...

#1 Alabama
#20 Arizona
#21 Stanford
Georgia
Michigan St.
Navy
Minnesota
Mississippi

With the Big 10's bowl opponents...

#7 Oregon
#9 Georgia Tech
#12 LSU
#15 Miami
Auburn
Texas Tech
ISU

It's not even close. Big 10 plays 4 teams ranked in the top 15, and the Big 12 plays 2 teams ranked in the top 20. Trying to compare bowl records/statistics when one conference plays such a superior level of opponents doesn't make much sense.
Well, I guess the B10 does have it pretty hard.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Are they jealous? No, of course not. That said, they were sure that ISU was going back to perpetual suckitude, and are likely upset because that isn't happening now.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
WTF is wrong with hawk fans that they cannot give credit where credit is due? Iowa State goes out and wins a bowl game after losing 10 straight games the season before with a FIRST YEAR HEAD COACH! Honestly, I think it's nothing short of jealousy. How'd KF do in his first season? The hawk fans are getting nervous that ISU has a coach/coaching staff that can and will win games sooner than later. Here's a few links to the sad folks on HR...

HawkeyeReport.com - Message Boards

Reading those reminds me of why I really hate Hawk fans so much. If ISU is so ******* inferior and such a joke of a program, why are they wasting their time talking about it? The arrogance in Iowa City reminds me of the South Park episode where San Francisco is done in by the Smug emitted from smelling their own farts...

MoreCowbell

Apr 23, 2009
Disagree.

When using "we," make sure everyone on your side agrees with you.
You might want to suggest that to your fellow Hawkeye DocGooden, as he tends to make sweeping generalizations in most of his posts regarding Iowa State.

TheGovernator

Nov 5, 2008
Reading those reminds me of why I really hate Hawk fans so much. If ISU is so ******* inferior and such a joke of a program, why are they wasting their time talking about it? The arrogance in Iowa City reminds me of the South Park episode where San Francisco is done in by the Smug emitted from smelling their own farts...

I didn't even read the threads Stew posted. I am just going to say that neither side should be playing the "Look at these message board posts, look at their fans, they are awful" card. I could cherry pick a number of posts at various points in the season, but it isn't representative of an entire fan base. I'm not sure why people pick out a few threads and want to start pointing fingers and make sweeping generalizations about entire fan bases.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
UGH.

I referenced the last three years of bowl games... then said ppl can't wait to prop them back up ... it had nothing to do with this years games. I haven't commented on this years games.

This has been a surprising year for the BigTen in bowl games this year especially compared to previous years....

so far Big 12 4-3 with a NC game left and the Big10 is 3-3 with Iowa left to play. TX wins the NC, the Big12 easily gets the nod for toughest conference for the season and for the bowl games. A TX loss and most of the debate will be unsettled.

Big12 playing more teams (75% of our conference) versus the Big10 63%. More on the line and the Big12 can only be as bad as 500, where the Big ten can still have a losing record.

And for the record... IMO, Iowa wins by 17.

And I asked you what those results have to do with this years games. Still waiting for an answer on that one.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
read the next sentence after the bolded part you quoted.

many are trying to prop up, prematurely, the success of this years bowl season after disappointing seasons of past.

ugh.

-keep.

QuickQuestion

Jan 2, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
And I asked you what those results have to do with this years games. Still waiting for an answer on that one.

I think he just did. It is worth pointing out the games the Big 12 is winning though. The Big 10 wins are against better opponents than the Big 12. Miami/LSU/Oregon as opposed to Michigan St, Minnesota, Arizona, and Stanford.

Just at a glance

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I didn't even read the threads Stew posted. I am just going to say that neither side should be playing the "Look at these message board posts, look at their fans, they are awful" card. I could cherry pick a number of posts at various points in the season, but it isn't representative of an entire fan base. I'm not sure why people pick out a few threads and want to start pointing fingers and make sweeping generalizations about entire fan bases.

I should have said "some Hawk fans". I don't read Hawk boards very often, but any time I do, there seems to be about 70% of posters who act like ISU is some JUCO and not worthy of playing the all mighty Hawkeyes. There's more than a few who try to reign these tools in, but it appears like a minority.

TheGovernator

Nov 5, 2008
I should have said "some Hawk fans". I don't read Hawk boards very often, but any time I do, there seems to be about 70% of posters who act like ISU is some JUCO and not worthy of playing the all mighty Hawkeyes. There's more than a few who try to reign these tools in, but it appears like a minority.

Understood. Wasn't really attempting to single you out at all, just had a post relevant to what I was posting about. I think Iowa State has proven they belong on the same field as Iowa recently. What frustrates Iowa fans is the apparent mismatch on paper goes down the drain on game day, which is a common occurrence in rivalry games.

I try to come and talk sports with a civil tone and I think most will find me easy to get along with. I sometimes get sucked in by the unreasonable posters and shouldn't. But overall I try to stay civil in much of my discussions.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Understood. Wasn't really attempting to single you out at all, just had a post relevant to what I was posting about. I think Iowa State has proven they belong on the same field as Iowa recently. What frustrates Iowa fans is the apparent mismatch on paper goes down the drain on game day, which is a common occurrence in rivalry games.

Get over it being close. The better team has one each time they take the field. I know that is hard for you Iowa fans to understand but that is truth. ISU always belongs on the same field as Iowa they are both BCS conference teams. That reply is a great example of why Iowa fans get a bad rap.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

I try to come and talk sports with a civil tone and I think most will find me easy to get along with. I sometimes get sucked in by the unreasonable posters and shouldn't. But overall I try to stay civil in much of my discussions.

The thing is, in several years (98-01, 05) there really wasn't a mismatch on paper. Hell, I'd say in the years highlighted, the mismatchs belonged to ISU (if there were any at all), and it was (again, this is REALLY general and not intended at any specific person) Hawkeye arrogance/general public living in the past that didn't recognize this.

keepngoal

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
you could ad 2003. I had that game pegged for a long time. Mainly to our Defensive front. I was just surprised how WELL they played... I knew they were talented... but didn't expect that kind of statement.

keepngoal

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
double the error... my bad... I didn't read the 05 and typed in what I 'thought' it was.... MY BAD.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
double the error... my bad... I didn't read the 05 and typed in what I 'thought' it was.... MY BAD.

Ah. Yeah, I actually expected a win in 2005. I thought we could dominate their O-line, and our receivers would go off against their d-backs. In 2007, I couldn't conceive a scenario that ended in Cyclone victory. After losing to UNI, I thought it was 0-12. That game was the epitome of "anything goes in a rivalry".

TheGovernator

Nov 5, 2008
The thing is, in several years (98-01, 05) there really wasn't a mismatch on paper. Hell, I'd say in the years highlighted, the mismatchs belonged to ISU (if there were any at all), and it was (again, this is REALLY general and not intended at any specific person) Hawkeye arrogance/general public living in the past that didn't recognize this.

The 2005 game was more in ISU's favor than many will lead you to believe with Curvey and Berryman bolstering the DL for ISU. Going into that game, honestly, I let the preseason rank swell my head a bit, not going to lie about that. However, looking at Iowa's OL vs. ISU's DL after the fact, the result wasn't too surprising.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
read the next sentence after the bolded part you quoted.

many are trying to prop up, prematurely, the success of this years bowl season after disappointing seasons of past.

ugh.

-keep.

The Big 10 has so far beaten top 10, top 15, and top 20 teams, with two of those wins coming in rather impressive fashion. In all of those games, the Big 10 defense dominated, and the offenses weren't that bad either, with all 3 teams holding a 2-1 TOP advantage.

If it's premature, could one then assume that the only way to call the Big 10 bowl "season" a success would be if Iowa wins Tuesday night, adding yet another top 10 team to the victory total?

Dave19642006

Nov 21, 2006
Des Moines
The Big 10 has so far beaten top 10, top 15, and top 20 teams, with two of those wins coming in rather impressive fashion. In all of those games, the Big 10 defense dominated, and the offenses weren't that bad either, with all 3 teams holding a 2-1 TOP advantage.

If it's premature, could one then assume that the only way to call the Big 10 bowl "season" a success would be if Iowa wins Tuesday night, adding yet another top 10 team to the victory total?

Texas beat three top 25 teams...Oklahoma, Oklahoma State...real Bad, and Nebraska....all by themselves.

Oklahoma beat number 12 Oklahoma State
Texas Tech beat number 15 Nebraska
and so on and so on

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron